Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to delete or bypass admin password

Last response: in Windows XP
July 2, 2010 12:13:53 PM

Hi;

I recently aquired a dell 4700. I need to install an operating system. but, i can't change any settings to select the boot sequence because the setting are locked and I need the admin password to be able to change. As I have no way to get the password, how can I get around this.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 2, 2010 12:20:47 PM

You can hit F12 when you see the Dell BIOS splash screen and select your boot device. The boot sequence is set in the BIOS. If there's a password, you need to move a jumper on the mobo to remove it.
Score
July 2, 2010 6:19:21 PM

Thanks for the input. But, after hitting the F12 key the only drive available is the CD-rom drive. I assume that is because the settings menu has that currently as the boot drive. I still need to get settings unlocked before i can change anything. Also the hard drive (HDD!) is a sata drive which is turned off. again need access to the settings menu to change.

As for your input to move a jumper, I have no clue which jumper to move.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b 8 Security
July 2, 2010 6:22:57 PM

Look on the motherboard near the BIOS battery, you should see a jumper with 3 pins that is labeles something like "CMOS Reset". Move the jumpter to the other 2 pins for about 30 seconds, then move it back to the original location. If you can't find the jumper, unplug the comuter from wall power and take out the BIOS battery for about 30 seconds. Replace battery, plug in the PC, and you should be set.
July 3, 2010 3:31:22 AM

Hi;

Thanks for the info, moving the jumper worked, problem solved. Thanks again!!!!

Score
July 3, 2010 3:32:29 AM

Best answer selected by ican2k.
Score
!