What PDA's use standard batteries?

a b α HP
May 18, 2004 1:23:00 AM

I'm wondering if any PDA's are still being made that can use ordinary
alkaline batteries, rather than special lithium rechargeables.

There are still some used HP 100LX/200LX's (using two AA's) and some
old Palm models that use three AAA's, but nothing in current production
as far as I know.

Any suggestions?

More about : pda standard batteries

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 18, 2004 10:15:57 AM

On 17 May 2004 21:23:00 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>I'm wondering if any PDA's are still being made that can use ordinary
>alkaline batteries, rather than special lithium rechargeables.
>
>There are still some used HP 100LX/200LX's (using two AA's) and some
>old Palm models that use three AAA's, but nothing in current production
>as far as I know.
>
>Any suggestions?

I'm with you on this quest.
I still use a 200lx and a TRGpro... mostly for the reason of being
able to use my choice of rechargeable OR throw-away batteries.
I think the reason the industry has moved away from the "standard"
cell formats is due to the ever-increasing CPU power hunger and the
need to appeal to the customer's push for smaller units.
I would like to see a PDA with an OS that is compact enough that a 300
mHz CPU is not needed and I kind of like the old Palm III case format.
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 18, 2004 10:24:52 AM

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote in

> I'm wondering if any PDA's are still being made that can
> use ordinary alkaline batteries, rather than special
> lithium rechargeables.
>
> There are still some used HP 100LX/200LX's (using two AA's)
> and some old Palm models that use three AAA's, but nothing
> in current production as far as I know.
>
> Any suggestions?

There are at least a couple of problems with using AAA batteries
in modern PDAs. The high-resolution color screens, which is
what sells, are very power-hungry, and AAA batteries, which are
the only feasible size, would last a couple of hours at best, so
you would need to carry around lots of batteries. The other
problem is that the backup capacitor, which maintains memory
while the batteries are changed, are extremely unreliable.
Check the forums for M105 owners unhappy because they lose
everything every time they change batteries. It isn't a matter
of if, it's when the capacitor fails. They all will in time.
Until there is a major breakthrough in battery technology,
replaceable batteries just aren't going to be practical.

--
Regards,

Stan
a b α HP
May 18, 2004 10:24:53 AM

Stan Gosnell <me@work> writes:
> There are at least a couple of problems with using AAA batteries
> in modern PDAs. The high-resolution color screens, which is
> what sells, are very power-hungry, and AAA batteries, which are
> the only feasible size, would last a couple of hours at best, so
> you would need to carry around lots of batteries.

Palm is still selling a heck of a lot of low-end monochrome Zires, that
use those damn lithium batteries.

> The other problem is that the backup capacitor, which maintains
> memory while the batteries are changed, are extremely unreliable.

The HP 100lx used a lithium coin cell for backup, which mostly worked
ok. What's so unreliable about capacitors though? I wasn't aware they
necessarily had such problems. User data, of course, should be kept
in nonvolatile flash memory, not ram.
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 18, 2004 6:35:42 PM

Here in comp.sys.palmtops,
Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; spake unto us, saying:

>There are still some used HP 100LX/200LX's (using two AA's) and some
>old Palm models that use three AAA's, but nothing in current production
>as far as I know.

Just for clarification, the Palm m100/m105 use two AAA's, not three.

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

Try Palm m125. It works for me.
May 19, 2004 3:15:44 AM

RE/
>There are still some used HP 100LX/200LX's (using two AA's) and some
>old Palm models that use three AAA's, but nothing in current production
>as far as I know.
>
>Any suggestions?

I was on that track for awhile, then found that to get what I wanted (color
screen, removable media) there wasn't any alternative.

Had a Clie for the past year or so. My answer to the battery interchangability
issue is the Clie's cigarette lighter/USB2 charger. I put in the AC charger
every night before bed and take it out in the morning. On those occasions
where it doesn't get charged (bad connection, power outage, CRS, RCI...whatever)
I just charge it in the car on the way to work and/or at work - either in my
'puter's USB port or from an AC outlet.

In retrospect, I think my desire for AA or AAA batteries was unwarrented.
People who travel to faraway places, OTOH, may have different needs....but it
still seems like if it will work from 12v DC, that's pretty much universally
available...
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> writes:

> Had a Clie for the past year or so. My answer to the battery interchangability
> issue is the Clie's cigarette lighter/USB2 charger. I put in the AC charger
> every night before bed and take it out in the morning. On those occasions
> where it doesn't get charged (bad connection, power outage, CRS, RCI...whatever)
> I just charge it in the car on the way to work and/or at work - either in my
> 'puter's USB port or from an AC outlet.

Also, Sony sells an external battery pod (4 AAs) for the NX series
(and TH and possibly others). Part number is PEGA-BC10. The pod can be
used to either power or recharge the Clie (however, recharging eats
batteries -- around one fresh set of batteries per charge).

--
Darryl Okahata
darrylo@soco.agilent.com

a b α HP
May 19, 2004 8:34:55 AM

> The HP 100lx used a lithium coin cell for backup, which
> mostly worked ok. What's so unreliable about capacitors
> though? I wasn't aware they necessarily had such problems.
> User data, of course, should be kept in nonvolatile flash
> memory, not ram.

Yeah, but many of the low-end models only have RAM. Capacitors
should be very reliable, but the ones in the M1xx models
weren't. Palm got burned badly by these, and I would be
surprised to ever see a model that uses AAA batteries again.
People aren't buying monochrome PDAs any more; everyone wants
color, and that's where the market is heading, and AAAs just
won't cut the mustard.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 19, 2004 8:34:56 AM

Stan Gosnell <me@work> writes:
> Yeah, but many of the low-end models only have RAM. Capacitors
> should be very reliable, but the ones in the M1xx models weren't.
> Palm got burned badly by these, and I would be surprised to ever see
> a model that uses AAA batteries again. People aren't buying
> monochrome PDAs any more; everyone wants color, and that's where the
> market is heading, and AAAs just won't cut the mustard.

But they are buying monochrome--I bet Palm is selling more units of
Zire 21's or whatever their current low end model is called, than any
other model. And those damn lithium batteries have to be at least as
unreliable as the M1xx capacitors.

Anyway, it sounds like my choices are an M125 with an SD card, or an
HP 200LX with a CF card in the PCMCIA slot. Both of these should
remain easy to find on Ebay for a pretty long time.

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 20, 2004 9:54:12 PM

wrote:

>I'm wondering if any PDA's are still being made that can use ordinary
>alkaline batteries, rather than special lithium rechargeables.
>
>There are still some used HP 100LX/200LX's (using two AA's) and some
>old Palm models that use three AAA's, but nothing in current production
>as far as I know.
>
>Any suggestions?

I bought an external battery pod, which uses 4 each AAs and recharges the
Tungsten W, T, T2, T3 and other models which use the Universal Connector.
Other Palms have similar devices available; I had one for my Treo 180 and
another for my Samsung i-300.

I get 4-6 recharges from one set of quality AAs.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

Paul Rubin writes:

> Anyway, it sounds like my choices are an M125 with an SD card, or an
> HP 200LX with a CF card in the PCMCIA slot. Both of these should
> remain easy to find on Ebay for a pretty long time.

If you decide to go with the HP200LX, check out the HPLX-L mailing
list and the SUPER site: http://www.palmtop.net. I've used one of
these devices for almost seven years now--they are still pretty
viable for many uses. Up until a year ago when I bought a Libretto,
my 200LX was the only computer I travelled with.

--
Theodore Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA
Anonymous

On 17 May 2004 21:23:00 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>I'm wondering if any PDA's are still being made that can use ordinary
>alkaline batteries, rather than special lithium rechargeables.
>
>There are still some used HP 100LX/200LX's (using two AA's) and some
>old Palm models that use three AAA's, but nothing in current production
>as far as I know.
>
>Any suggestions?

I'm using a Sony PEG-SL10 - uses 2 'AAA' batteries. I still see it
advertised every so often. Try Radio Shack?

-
Glen

Ottawa

(Remove the ".NIT.invalid" from the end of my address)
!