Share a wireless internet connection

schmedley

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I have searched all over, but as of yet have not found a solution to this:

I live beside a library which provides free wifi - the terms of use do not specify that I have to use it within the library.

I am able to connect to this network only when I sit in the room in the line of site with the library. All other rooms in the house do not receive a strong enough connection.

What I am trying to do is have a desktop computer in that room stay connected to that network through wifi, and then use the rj45 port to connect to the WAN port on my (dlink) wireless router. From there I should be able to use my laptop and internet tablet anywhere in the house.

So far I have tried to setup the desktop to share the internet connection (XP), but I keep getting IP errors. I tried changing the IP assignments on the router, disable DHCP, etc etc, but with no success.

Unfortunately I am stuck using XP for this project. My desktop is unable to run vista, and my network adapter won't run on linux (at least I have not been able to configure it yet).

So.... anyone have any ideas/suggestions that I should try?

G

Have a look at Windows Internet Connection Sharing. That would probably allow you to set up the first computer to talk wirelessly to the library's router -- then connect the first and second computer via a crossed ethernet cable.