SATA controller for Dimension 2350

xpqs

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Hi,

I have an old Dell Dimension 2350 that I put Kubuntu on and bought a WD Caviar Blue to store videos. I didn't realize that the Dell had no SATA connectors so I need to get a SATA controller and power adapter to connect it and would appreciate any recommendations.

Would getting a SATA2 card make the access to the videos faster ?

thanks
xav,

Daddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Dear xav,

I recently purchased a 500 GB SATA hard drive for my machine at work, and didn't realize until I opened this Dell Dimension 2350 that the hard drive is an ATA drive. Since your post seems to offer me some hope, I was wondering if you ever got an answer to your question someplace else? What, if anything, did you do to solve your very similar problem to mine? Thanks so very much in anticipation of your response.

Daddy

Maxster

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I can confirm that the Rosewill RC-210 SATA card works with the 2350.

To boot from a SATA drive without specifying the boot manager, enter SETUP with an IDE drive attached and select 'hard drive' as one of the boot options; for hard drive priority, select external card. Once you save the settings and exit, the IDE drive can be removed.

The 2350 will also use 2gb of memory and is Windows 7-compatible, apart from the onboard video.