Sign in with
Your question

Hitman Tribute Case Mod Worklog

Last response: in Components
February 25, 2008 1:06:10 AM

Greetings all. A few weeks ago I started modifying an old Lian-Li PC-86 case which will eventually hold a Hitman Tribute PC. I've been posting my worklog on a few other sites, but I noticed that the people over at Tom's Hardware hardly get to see any case mods, so I figured I'd post here as well. I'll start with a long post to get bring you guys up to speed.

Some pics of the stock case.

Sketchup images of what I'm aiming for with this case.

To be continued in next post.
February 25, 2008 1:12:31 AM

Some of the bling that's going on the case.

Right side panel cut.

Left panel progression.

February 25, 2008 1:22:17 AM

Handles and blowhole mounted on the top panel.

Front panel cut with aluminum trim added. Sorry for the glare.

Cutting the bottom fan holes.

Painting begins. Handles, blowholes, switches, fan controller, top, and right panel painted. All parts still need to be wetsanded and clearcoated.

The project continues. Stay tuned for more.
Comments and suggestions are always apprieciated.

Related resources
February 25, 2008 7:24:48 AM

looking pretty good so far. am gonna keep and eye on this, looking rather promising :D 
March 2, 2008 6:07:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback perham3d, that's what makes a mod worthwhile.

Unfortunately, this weekend has been very busy and I havn't had much time to work. I finally got a couple free minutes tonight but I didn't get very much done. The painting is going slowly, but that's okay, it leaves me more time to save up for the goodies inside the case :D  .

During the week I managed to get the nubs of the handle painted black. They still need to be wetsanded and cleared, but I think they already look really cool. Here's a brief recap of their progression.

The "stock handles," already so nice and shiny.

Painted entirely red (sorry, massively cropped picture)

Painted red with black nubs (current state)

March 2, 2008 8:29:14 AM

Awesome... Keep up the good work, cant wait to see it finished.
March 2, 2008 11:14:46 PM

:hello: 

you will pass go and collect $200 :pt1cable: 

:lol: 
March 2, 2008 11:29:34 PM

This is awesome. What do you use for cutting holes in your case? I want to add some extra fans to mine... but wasn't sure where to start.

Keep up good work on this mod, & keep posting those nice pics of your progress, it's cool to see it all coming together.

What hardware will be going into this rig?
March 2, 2008 11:47:47 PM

LOL
March 3, 2008 12:10:59 AM

Thanks for the comments everybody.

In response to Pous, I used a dremel and scrollsaw to do most of the cutting. For fan holes, the best tool is a 4.5" holesaw for your power drill (~$20). Just take your time and let the drill do its work and you should end up with some pretty perfect holes.

This is the hardware I'm planning on including in the rig:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4GB Corsair PC-6400 Ram
MSI 8800GT OC
Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB
Lite-On SATA DVD Burner
OCZ GameXstream 700W PSU
CoolIT Pure CPU Cooler
Thermaltake TMG ND1 VGA Cooler
Still undecided on the mobo. If anyone has any good suggestions for under $150 I would love to hear them. Remember, looks are important too.
a b ) Power supply
March 3, 2008 12:44:16 AM

Nice :) . For motherboard I would get a P35-DS3x or a P5K-x. You could go with a Corsair 520HXdepending on your budget. Imo, the Corsair PSUs tend to be little better than the OCZ ones (quality wise) and since you don't need 700W the 520HX should be fine.

I haven't heard much on the CoolIT liquid cooling items, any one has any experience with them?
March 3, 2008 1:26:30 AM

Thanks for the advice Shadow. Unfortunately, I already have the OCZ PSU. I like it a lot and actually, I'm not entirely sure I don't need 700W. There's a LOT of lighting in the works and when I get the cash I might upgrade to fullscale watercooling.

My two top choices for mobo currently:

1) ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A lot of features, very nice looking. I think mATX boards make a case look really clean and uncluttered, and I am going for an elegant look here.

2) ASUS P5K-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More room for expansion, also pretty nice looking, looks like it has good passive cooling.

Any thoughts?
March 3, 2008 1:28:30 AM

DAVIDMCDIARMID said:
Thanks for the comments everybody.

In response to Pous, I used a dremel and scrollsaw to do most of the cutting. For fan holes, the best tool is a 4.5" holesaw for your power drill (~$20). Just take your time and let the drill do its work and you should end up with some pretty perfect holes.

This is the hardware I'm planning on including in the rig:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4GB Corsair PC-6400 Ram
MSI 8800GT OC
Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB
Lite-On SATA DVD Burner
OCZ GameXstream 700W PSU
CoolIT Pure CPU Cooler
Thermaltake TMG ND1 VGA Cooler
Still undecided on the mobo. If anyone has any good suggestions for under $150 I would love to hear them. Remember, looks are important too.

What about a gpu?

Also, the Abit IP35 board is pretty nice, however it is blue and would therefore be entirely against your current color scheme.
Anonymous
March 3, 2008 1:30:01 AM

design looks PIMP !
March 3, 2008 1:32:24 AM

burningmunk said:
What about a gpu?

Also, the Abit IP35 board is pretty nice, however it is blue and would therefore be entirely against your current color scheme.

It says above that I'm using an 8800GT.

You're right about the IP35, if only it were black and red :) 
March 3, 2008 6:38:04 PM

I'm sure if you put some red LEDs in you wont even notice the color of the board.
a b ) Power supply
March 3, 2008 8:14:21 PM

My choice would be ASUS P5K-E LGA 775 Intel P35. Mostly because of the chipset. P35 is better than the G35 OCing wise/stability.
March 8, 2008 4:56:01 PM

Small update. Here's one side panel, painted, cleared, wetsanded and trimmed. This is the right panel which will have the large "SIN" image in the middle

I'm currently in the process of painting or clearing almost everything in the case. Expect more updates soon.
a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2008 9:51:22 PM

^What kind of Acrylic are you going to use? Colored or clear? also is the "SIN" image going to be etched/frosted?
March 9, 2008 12:27:20 AM

I'm going to use red acrylic. The sin image will be a vinyl decal applied to the back.
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2008 1:05:31 AM

Cool. Going to do some UV or EL wiring too?
March 9, 2008 1:46:24 AM

I'm planning to make the inside all black with red lighting. I'm also going to sleeve all the wires with carbon fiber sleeving and cover the mobo tray with carbon fiber vinyl film.
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2008 4:50:29 PM

Put some EL wire around the decal, should look cool.
!