LGA 775 = Dead socket walking?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Nehalem
  • Compatibility
  • Socket
Last response: in CPUs
February 25, 2008 3:46:39 AM

Nehalem's announced features, such as Integrated mem controller, do away with FSB and other basic LGA775 components. Upgrade compatibility wouldn't be feasible, and I've heard that Nehalem will be using Socket 6xx.
Due to Nehalem's slated launch in late '08/early '09, I'm thinking that AM2+ is the best option here, as it'll be compatible with Bulldozer through '09.
(AM3 is backwards compatible with AM2)

More about : lga 775 dead socket walking

a b à CPUs
February 25, 2008 3:58:42 AM

Bulldozer!!! YEAH!!!

We get to wait another year for another dissapointing product! SCORE!!!

Meh, get a Q6600 now. Nehalem will still be expensive for awhile, and the G0 q6600's perform and OC very well, which should keep you in the game for a few years.

Top tier performance obviously isnt an issue for you... or you wouldnt even CONSIDER amd, so dont be too concerned.
February 25, 2008 4:09:34 AM

From what I remember the low-end Nehalem chips won't have an IMC, so those at least will probably work in socket 775 motherboards. Of course if only the low-end chips do you may be better off with a Core 2.
Related resources
February 25, 2008 4:40:54 AM

As best as I recall, the LGA 775 and the AMD socket 939 both released in similar timeframes, circa 2004. Since 2006 / 7, AMD has released am2, am2+, and AM3. And not all newer AMD processors will run with all of these variations. Intel has released.... What? An as yet to be produced MB with a new socket?

If my opty 175 died tomorrow, I'd be up sh*t creek even trying to find a replacement. But if I had gone to LGA 775, well, no issues as of now, and I predict throughout at least 2010
February 25, 2008 4:44:10 AM

Either get what'll last 2 or 3 years or get what's cheap. Personally PCIe2.0 isn't worth it yet over PCIe1.0a. Although 2.0 offers more performance 1.0a isn't even utilized all the way. Quads aren't totally utilized nearly enough either, so that's something to consider. Vista is getting better but still sucks. DX10 hurts performance and doesn't offer that much better graphics yet. Point being is that maybe in 2 or 3 years it'd be time to upgrade, but all the tech we have now either isn't used that much or isn't that good to begin with.

For the next 3 years only the Q6600, e8*00, and lower Q9*00 or so will be worth it and that's about it. AMD doesn't have anything worth anything in the CPU or chipset market at all. G92 GPU is the perfect sweet spot, I guess the same goes for 3870 since it has DX10.1 and costs a little bit less. The 9600GT is actually a pretty good one too, but not in the long haul for games. Raptor HDD's aren't worth it because more drives offer similar performance and higher capacities for less money. DDR3 is still too expensive and it isn't really that much faster, but if you have a DDR3 board it might be worth the expense in the long run. Still though who knows about 2 or 3 years from now. DDR2 might not be that fast in 2 or 3 years, but it sure is alot cheaper and still performs quite well.

Oh yeah Nvidia GPU's might be the way to go because there is pressure on Nvidia to open SLI to everyone and no it's not a rumor. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080222132030_Nvidia_s_SLI_May_Disappear_or_SLI_Policy_May_Be_Changed_If_Nvidia_Fails_to_License_Intel_s_Next_Gen_Processor_Bus.html
This might also mean that there's no such thing as SLI in the future period.

There are also talks about 6 core CPU's from Intel that consist of 3 dual cores in 1. Probably not on the LGA 775 socket though.

Hmmm what else have I missed?
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2008 4:53:28 AM

T8RR8R said:

Hmmm what else have I missed?

A social life??? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Good wrap up :) 
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2008 5:58:33 AM

Loser777 said:
Nehalem's announced features, such as Integrated mem controller, do away with FSB and other basic LGA775 components. Upgrade compatibility wouldn't be feasible, and I've heard that Nehalem will be using Socket 6xx.
Due to Nehalem's slated launch in late '08/early '09, I'm thinking that AM2+ is the best option here, as it'll be compatible with Bulldozer through '09.

Intel @ 65nm = ~3.4ghz average overclock
Intel @ 45nm = 4+ghz average overclock

AMD @ 65nm = ~2.9ghz (IF YOUR LUCKY), average 2.7's?
AMD @ 45nm = est 3.5ghz with luck....

clock for clock intel is stronger, so 775 reguardless of dead end-ness, still offers better performance (higher clocks and clock for clock) for the next year, and when it gets phazed out, just picture ~$250 quads @ ~3.2ghz (just like the pentium D 3.4ghz when it was being canned etc) - cheap cheap cheap, sockets always come to an end anyhow, look at AMD with there 754, 939, 940, 940(AM2) and now new boards to run the quads - yeah some future my a$$.

February 25, 2008 6:03:28 AM

The OP just seems a little too worried about futureproofing to me. Couldn't hurt for him to make his AMD bias a little less obvious to keep the intel flameboys at bay either, but oh well, to each his own.

Getting the "best bang for your buck" when it comes to hardware isn't about your possible upgrade paths, its how good the hardware you buy today stacks up to how the same stuff performs tomorrow. If you don't understand how to rate hardware from that perspective you'll never make a smart choice as a consumer.
February 25, 2008 9:29:17 AM

Loser777 said:
...I'm thinking that AM2+ is the best option here, as it'll be compatible with Bulldozer through '09.
:sleep:  (AM3 is backwards compatible with AM2)

It's hard to believe that after seeing how wonderfully easy it is to run Phenoms in recent AM2 boards (not!).

a b à CPUs
February 25, 2008 10:03:33 AM

^Exactly
February 25, 2008 11:00:38 AM

mrmez said:
Bulldozer!!! YEAH!!!

Meh, get a Q6600 now. Nehalem will still be expensive for awhile, and the G0 q6600's perform and OC very well, which should keep you in the game for a few years.

Top tier performance obviously isnt an issue for you... or you wouldnt even CONSIDER amd, so dont be too concerned.

More than a while, by the time it and a good mobo for it are at a nice price it will be like, ...summer 2009! Theres a load of fuss about nehalem but you'll all be waiting at least another year for it.
a c 213 à CPUs
February 25, 2008 11:22:48 AM

LGA775 has had a good run for about 4 years and thats not that bad. AM2 is older and yea while AM3 is supposed to be backwards capable, there is no gurantee and it will lose performance on AM2+ boards hence killing the use.

Of course once Nehalem come out it will be for the more high end users at first but will slowly become the Core2/CoreQ replacement. Iit will take about a year so say by 2009 and then tyhe shrink will come.

Either way LGA775 has proved to be very strong and has been a great socket.
February 25, 2008 11:25:41 AM

Loser777 said:

Yes, I highly recommend buying a significantly slower computer now, so that in two years you can upgrade your computer to one that is as fast as one out now.

Note: Might as well buy an AM2 and not an AM2+. It's cheaper and they are "Compatible".
February 25, 2008 11:38:49 AM

Hi all,

When I first saw the Bulldozer avatar of Loser777 I thought it was an Intel Fanboi thing. Having not heard of the proposed (i.e. to be delivered in 2020) AMD Bulldozer platform I thought it was someone sweeping up the AMD rubbish dump of discarded Phenom cores... :lol: 

AMD can't even fight at low end with Intel releasing Core 2's like the E2160. So to talk about future AMD platforms is a bit premature since they may not even been around by then...

I have just built up a couple of socket 939 systems for folks so I do my bit to support AMD!! Give generously they are a Charity after all (being financially bailed out by the German government,etc.,etc.). After socket 939 AMD entered the wilderness... Possibly never to return...

Bob Wya

February 25, 2008 9:49:10 PM

Meh, I think I might just hightail it with a high end 790FX motherboard and either get a cheap Phenom or keep my 4200+, which can OC to 3.0Ghz.
I envy how cheaply an E2180 can be overclocked to 3ghz- I went over to a friends house to do it for him recently (Yes I can overclock Intel processors too ;)  ), and it pulled 21 seconds SuperPi.
However, another friend's Opty 165 -overclocked similarly to the E2180, pulls a 29 second SuperPi.
While I don't think it does the K8 (2003) justice to be comparing it to a far newer architechture- Conroe (2006), I think this is pretty wide gap to be closed.
Then seeing this, even though the AM2 to AM2+ compatibility, I don't think the THG article did it justice, by not reviewing many of the boards- and not giving enough time for subsequent BIOS updates to be released.
That being said, I think that Nehalem will offer a far more powerful core than Conroe/Yorkfield, as there are going to be many changes in the basic architecture. But, seeing as I'm going to be building as system this summer, I'm going with the AM2+ platform.
As for the G92 Graphics cards being the best bang for the buck, I'd like to note that I think ATI will regain the performance crown by Summer this year, since the 4800 series has room to improve over the 3800 series, while the 9XXX series is just going to consist modified G92s.
February 25, 2008 10:15:20 PM

I'm waiting for the 9450.... get it, overclock it.... and I'll be set for a long while on the mobo/cpu/ram area. Hopefully I'll be able to ride that for 2 years or so and just focus on graphics card upgrades.
February 25, 2008 10:20:33 PM

zenmaster said:
Yes, I highly recommend buying a significantly slower computer now, so that in two years you can upgrade your computer to one that is as fast as one out now.

Note: Might as well buy an AM2 and not an AM2+. It's cheaper and they are "Compatible".

You sound way too real.
February 25, 2008 10:46:21 PM

mrmez said:
Bulldozer!!! YEAH!!!

hey mami i got my Q6600 at 3.2 GHz 1.32V B3 stepping :sol: , i bought it last year and it still runs great and by the way so what if socket-T is a dead socket??? at least our processors beat the AMD ones :sol:  , dont you think mami?
February 25, 2008 11:48:30 PM

Here's my problem. I don't have money to blow constantly on Computer parts.
I need a system that will work and be upgradeable.
That's especially important for me now because I have a system that's just new enough to give me a reason to not rebuild yet old enough to be irritating.
If I'm going to invest in parts that'll I'll end up completely unable to reuse then I'll be very pissed.
I don't want to make the mistake I made with my current setup.
I know people who have used S939 mobos since 2004, and are still going strong, going from a 3000+ to an Opty 165.

All this while my AM2 mobo can't overclock and has been a relatively poor performer. I want to invest in a platform with the same kind of lifespan, as the S939 mobos withstood an entire generation of CPUs.

If you want to take a look at my new build list which I'm going to keep revising until June, then have a look.
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWish...
February 25, 2008 11:56:15 PM

If you think 775 is a dead end then you'd have to think that all PC tech is a dead end. PCIe.2 new, but there are already talks of PCIe3.0. Still 2.0 isn't even used, and only shows a 2% improvement at best. USB 2.0 is still fast enough and there are talks of 3.0. Nvidia 8 series is still wicked fast 9 series just came out and there are thoughts of the 10 series. Anyway there is always something new just around the corner so all technology is really dead before is comes to life and even then who knows if it's going to perform any better than the previous gen. Take 7600GT for example was a killer for the price you paid but then the 8600GT sucked, and now the 9600GT is great for the price paid and who even knows about the next gen. My point is that the next gen is awlays right around the corner and even though it might be the tech of tomorrow it might not be better than the good old stuff. Only time will tell. So my advice is get what you want when you can afford it and don't worry about the next best thing.
a b à CPUs
February 26, 2008 12:20:05 AM

boner said:
hey mami i got my Q6600 at 3.2 GHz 1.32V B3 stepping :sol: , i bought it last year and it still runs great and by the way so what if socket-T is a dead socket??? at least our processors beat the AMD ones :sol:  , dont you think mami?

Not bad papi.
I also got 'stuck' with a B3 and i cant really reach those clocks (tho i havent tried that hard). What it does seem good at is running at low voltage. Under load @ 2.7Ghz it drops to 1.05v 100% stable. :bounce: 

[/hijack]
February 26, 2008 12:25:04 AM

yeah but then you're only running at 6 instead of 9 for the multi. Check CPUZ while you're idle. Anyway I can get up to 3.8 on my e6400 but even at stock setting my best idle temp is 30c on water. I'm only running water on my CPU so I'm guessing I just have a hot CPU. I've even tried a zalman 9700 and it's pretty much the same. I use Core temp instead of the mobo temp sensor so I wonder about people claiming 24c and such. On load though I haven't broken 50c at 3.6ghz so I'm happy with that but don't you think my idle is warm or am I way off.
February 26, 2008 12:43:15 AM

T8RR8R said:
If you think 775 is a dead end then you'd have to think that all PC tech is a dead end. PCIe.2 new, but there are already talks of PCIe3.0. Still 2.0 isn't even used, and only shows a 2% improvement at best. USB 2.0 is still fast enough and there are talks of 3.0. Nvidia 8 series is still wicked fast 9 series just came out and there are thoughts of the 10 series. Anyway there is always something new just around the corner so all technology is really dead before is comes to life and even then who knows if it's going to perform any better than the previous gen. Take 7600GT for example was a killer for the price you paid but then the 8600GT sucked, and now the 9600GT is great for the price paid and who even knows about the next gen. My point is that the next gen is awlays right around the corner and even though it might be the tech of tomorrow it might not be better than the good old stuff. Only time will tell. So my advice is get what you want when you can afford it and don't worry about the next best thing.

The problem between your comparisons is that the new LGA socket won't be backwards compatible with LGA 775, as PCI E 3.0 is with 2.0 and USB 3.0 is with USB 2.0.

Also, please don't hijack this into Q6600 overclocking.
February 26, 2008 1:27:30 AM

Meh, 775 is older then the current AMD sockets, AMD also has used many more sockets in recent history.
Let's start with AthlonXP and Pentium4 and compare. AMD sockets: Socket A(462), Socket 754, Socket 939, Socket 940, Socket AM2, Socket AM3 and Socket F, and this is not counting AM2+, since it is pin compatible with AM2.
Now Intel: Socket 423, Socket 478, Socket 604, Socket 775, Socket 771 and LGA 1366(Nahelem, not released yet, like AM3 listed for AMD also, 603 and 604 are like AM2+ and AM2 so I only included one).
Total AMD sockets: 7
Total Intel sockets: 6

Some people will complain that not all 775 motherboards supported all 775 processors, but if you look at how AMD did K8, it alone spans 6 sockets(3 desktop sockets alone) without a major change in architecture. They did minor upgrades along the way for K8, adding dual-channel for 939 that 754 lacked and upping HTT speeds, then AM2 and Socket F added DDR2 and eventually Phenom/Barcelona support. Contrast this with Intel using one socket with multiple architectures but with chipset updates needed. You could buy a new motherboard for your old CPU and upgrade when you wanted to, where as if you wanted dualcore but have a 754 motherboard you are out of luck, same with a faster dual-core and 939, no black editions for them.

When you really think about it, 775 is old tech, its getting replaced, oh well, it's about time, it's the oldest socket that new things are even slated to be released for.(45nm quadcores and then finally it dies off)
February 26, 2008 1:49:52 AM

I'll probably get a good BIOSTAR, and stay from there. BIOSTAR mobos have pretty good CPU support, though if AMD completely ditches AM2+, I will be pissed.
February 26, 2008 2:38:36 AM

Loser777 said:

Good lord would people stop trying to predict the future and let what ever will be just be................... :pfff: 
February 26, 2008 2:44:10 AM

Loser777 said:
I'll probably get a good BIOSTAR, and stay from there. BIOSTAR mobos have pretty good CPU support, though if AMD completely ditches AM2+, I will be pissed.

If you go BioStar, be sure to get a T-Force series motherboard, not their value boards. The T-Force 550 was a great overclocker for AM2, a surprise hit really. The newer one based on the AMD 770 chipset seems to have great overclocking potential too and support for AM2+, Phenom and all that.

Still would recommend Intel if you don't want to upgrade for a while, the Q6600 is possibly the best price/performance CPU in a while. MicroCenter has them in store for $200(limit 1) at the current moment.
February 26, 2008 3:40:30 AM

Loser777 said:
The problem between your comparisons is that the new LGA socket won't be backwards compatible with LGA 775, as PCI E 3.0 is with 2.0 and USB 3.0 is with USB 2.0.

Also, please don't hijack this into Q6600 overclocking.

I wasn't saying that they would be, just that we shouldn't worry much about the stuff that's just around the corner because there will always be something a few weeks month or years away that will smother what we have now or make it totally obsolete.
February 26, 2008 3:56:44 AM

Loser777 said:
Here's my problem. I don't have money to blow constantly on Computer parts.
I need a system that will work and be upgradeable.
That's especially important for me now because I have a system that's just new enough to give me a reason to not rebuild yet old enough to be irritating.
If I'm going to invest in parts that'll I'll end up completely unable to reuse then I'll be very pissed.
I don't want to make the mistake I made with my current setup.
I know people who have used S939 mobos since 2004, and are still going strong, going from a 3000+ to an Opty 165.

All this while my AM2 mobo can't overclock and has been a relatively poor performer. I want to invest in a platform with the same kind of lifespan, as the S939 mobos withstood an entire generation of CPUs.

If you want to take a look at my new build list which I'm going to keep revising until June, then have a look.
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWish...

You kept on saying how expensive it is for users to switch from LGA775 to Nehalem, but have you really calculated the cost?

The only two things you need to change is MB and possibly RAM, with a total of 100~ 200 USD,

I wouldn't call that amount "blowing away money" at all. With that 200 bucks, I am guaranteed a good performance computer.

As for AMD, while I may be spending less, I get no guarantee on how it will perform, or if the newer CPU will be compatible, or when the CPU will be released.

Its like buying a new car and a used car. While you definitely pay more for a new car, you're guaranteed to enjoy its benefits. While buying an old car, you may be spending less, but you have no guarantee when the engine will give, when the tires will go flat, when the transmission will break.

I guess you get what you pay for....
February 26, 2008 5:59:18 AM

croc said:
As best as I recall, the LGA 775 and the AMD socket 939 both released in similar timeframes, circa 2004. Since 2006 / 7, AMD has released am2, am2+, and AM3. And not all newer AMD processors will run with all of these variations. Intel has released.... What? An as yet to be produced MB with a new socket?

If my opty 175 died tomorrow, I'd be up sh*t creek even trying to find a replacement. But if I had gone to LGA 775, well, no issues as of now, and I predict throughout at least 2010

939 launched about a year or so before 775.

good luck trying to get a quad core to run on a 2004 board.
just beacause the socket is tha same doesn't mean anything, look at the phenom on AM2 crap going on now :cry: 

I'd personaly like a scalable system that uses seperate, nonidentical low power processors. you could run 35 (yes thats thirtyfive) Intel A110 for that same power draw as one Q6600. now thats what I call multithreading! :pt1cable: 
February 26, 2008 11:04:42 AM

I just built my AM2+ system. I am a gamer 100%. This system games perfectly on max detail at 1680x1050(native).

Phenom 9600 black(Swapped out my x2 6400)
8800GT 512(Changing this out for a 4000 x2 card soon for dx10.1 support)
Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 MB
4 gig kit of Patriot 4x1gig(great timings)
Raid-0 10k Raptors
XFI Platinum
Antec 900 case
Antec 850w psu
Native resolution is 1680x1050

The reason I swaped out the 6400 was price. I got my Phenom for next to nothing and had to try it. I do alot of multitasking while I game. I always run several accounts at a time and script my balls off. My rig eats any game I have tried and I have tried them all at the highest details aside from Crysis. I can with Vista 64 Ultimate run Crysis on a tweaked high detail setting with good frames at only 2xAA in Crysis. Even Vanguard(This IS the highest system req game on the shelf) runs killer. I can blast 3 accounts easy on next to highest detail with 4xAA and AF.

You have to build a system to do the job at hand. I game ALOT. Any good gamer will tell you that OCing your rig when you spend as much time gaming as I do is a bad investment. There is not one peace of my rig that is OCed. I lan with my bud alot and he is using a Q6600 rig almost identicle to mine. Same graphics platform, same sound card, same OS, same ram. I built it for him a while back. We game on identicle monitors at the same resolution at the same settings at the same time and there is:

NO FLIPING DIFFERENCE IN EITHER OF OUR MACHINES aside from the fact that when I crank up 3 clients and surf the web or play around with winzip I dont get freezes. We have never seen more then maybee 5fps difference in any title. We are both able to multitask. Its apples and oranges.

The one big difference between our rigs is mine was a **** cheaper then his to build and will upgrade for a very long time to come. His is a throw away. He might be lucky and get to keep the graphics and sound.

We both get the max peformance that the human braid is capable of seeing.

February 26, 2008 1:05:02 PM

Maybe because the games you play do not depend on CPU too much? :sarcastic: 

At resolution 1680 x 1050, CPU's performance make minimal difference. Try adjusting your resolution to 1024 x 768 (which is what most professional gamers do), then you'll see the difference.

Although I have to admit, the difference in performance in real life is really minimal, at stock speed.
February 26, 2008 9:13:50 PM

T8RR8R said:
yeah but then you're only running at 6 instead of 9 for the multi. Check CPUZ while you're idle. Anyway I can get up to 3.8 on my e6400 but even at stock setting my best idle temp is 30c on water. I'm only running water on my CPU so I'm guessing I just have a hot CPU. I've even tried a zalman 9700 and it's pretty much the same. I use Core temp instead of the mobo temp sensor so I wonder about people claiming 24c and such. On load though I haven't broken 50c at 3.6ghz so I'm happy with that but don't you think my idle is warm or am I way off.

i changed that meaning that the multiplier is always at 9x
February 26, 2008 9:16:02 PM

mrmez said:
Not bad papi.
I also got 'stuck' with a B3 and i cant really reach those clocks (tho i havent tried that hard). What it does seem good at is running at low voltage. Under load @ 2.7Ghz it drops to 1.05v 100% stable. :bounce: 

[/hijack]

damn that's great, i just found out throught everst ultimate is that my core voltage is @ 1.288v :sol: 
a b à CPUs
February 26, 2008 9:32:23 PM

Dose any one have technical specs (pin #,layout, size,etc) for the three(?) new socket types?
February 26, 2008 9:59:03 PM

According to AMD fanboys a processor is compatible as long as it fits in the socket, the computer doesn't need to boot up or anything.
February 26, 2008 10:04:35 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
According to AMD fanboys a processor is compatible as long as it fits in the socket, the computer doesn't need to boot up or anything.

So true...I mean the old Opty is compatible with the AM2+ socket!
February 26, 2008 10:22:04 PM

My whole point is that I don't want to buy a new motherboard for another 2+ years at least, and not make the same mistake I made this time.
I want to be able to pop in a new CPU when the time comes as many people could easily go from a 3000+ to an Opty.
I'm willing to take a 10% hit with an Overclocked 6400+, then spend the extra $300 2 years from now when everyone switches platforms.
I'm surprised however at the enthusiasm with which people are treating the Yorkies and the X38/X48 motherboards, as they are simply a transitional technology, and to be phased out quickly.
I see this as similar also the 7900GX2 and the 3870X2- while they are powerful cards for their generation, they're just a stopgap until we get a new platform/generation.
I think I am simply investing a technology that is simply a stop gap if I go with a new Intel system now, which I do not plan on doing.
I'm sure if you want the best value right now, go with the Intel build, however I don't like swapping out many parts at a time for a Computer when the time comes to upgrade.
I honestly thought investing in a Q6600 system would be feasible until I thought about how Nehalem was going to be radically different.
Keep in mind that I am assuming that AM3 to AM2 support will be at least as good as AM2+ to AM2. I still think that THGs review of the compatibility was done at too early of a time for companies to get their BIOS updates out, since I've heard many more success stories than upgrade failures.
a b à CPUs
February 26, 2008 10:42:36 PM

Wonder when the Q6600 will come below $100 :sol: . This could happen to most LGA775 quite fast depending on how many procs Intel makes.
February 26, 2008 11:02:18 PM

Loser777 said:
My whole point is that I don't want to buy a new motherboard for another 2+ years at least, and not make the same mistake I made this time.
I want to be able to pop in a new CPU when the time comes as many people could easily go from a 3000+ to an Opty.
I'm willing to take a 10% hit with an Overclocked 6400+, then spend the extra $300 2 years from now when everyone switches platforms.
I'm surprised however at the enthusiasm with which people are treating the Yorkies and the X38/X48 motherboards, as they are simply a transitional technology, and to be phased out quickly.
I see this as similar also the 7900GX2 and the 3870X2- while they are powerful cards for their generation, they're just a stopgap until we get a new platform/generation.
I think I am simply investing a technology that is simply a stop gap if I go with a new Intel system now, which I do not plan on doing.
I'm sure if you want the best value right now, go with the Intel build, however I don't like swapping out many parts at a time for a Computer when the time comes to upgrade.
I honestly thought investing in a Q6600 system would be feasible until I thought about how Nehalem was going to be radically different.
Keep in mind that I am assuming that AM3 to AM2 support will be at least as good as AM2+ to AM2. I still think that THGs review of the compatibility was done at too early of a time for companies to get their BIOS updates out, since I've heard many more success stories than upgrade failures.

As previously posted, the 939 and the 775 sockets both came out circa 2004. June-ish to be more precise. One can still get 939 MB's, but they don't support DDR2 memory and DDR is getting rare. Also rare are the CPU's that will fit this socket (AND actually run... pointed to TC and Evilonigiri...)

My crystal ball says that the 775 socket will still be the top selling socket for Intel through 2010. I hear rumours of a 975 bx3 that will support DDR3 ram, but that is only rumour.

Do what you want, but if I had limited funds and needed to upgrade, I'd go socket 775 for the most future-proof build at this time.

My 2P
February 26, 2008 11:17:15 PM

Socket 775 just does not make sense now I agree.

Anyone who thinks about it knows that If I buy an AM2+ board and CPU now and then in 2 years upgrade it to an AM3 Chip that is as fast as a Q6600 is now I will have saved money.

Why anyone would want to have a faster system now and not have to spend money in two years to match the level of performance others have now is just not thinking.
February 26, 2008 11:21:36 PM

zenmaster said:

Anyone who thinks about it knows that If I buy an AM2+ board and CPU now and then in 2 years upgrade it to an AM3 Chip that is as fast as a Q6600 is now I will have saved money.

Why anyone would want to have a faster system now and not have to spend money in two years to match the level of performance others have now is just not thinking.

Zenmaster make joke. Me laugh.
February 27, 2008 1:17:44 AM

zenmaster said:

croc said:
Zenmaster make joke. Me laugh.

Rofl
a c 213 à CPUs
February 27, 2008 2:00:02 AM

Huh. If AM3 is set for 2009 then next thing you will see is AM3+ in 2010. But the bad thing about throwing a AM3 CPU into a AM2+ board is that you wont have any other features to support the nice new things that will probably bottleneck the AM3 CPU.

Such as SATAIII, DDR4(if it comes out that fast) or the new stuff Intel came out with thats capable of doing the same as DRAM but is much faster. Think of the newer HTT, probably 4.0. You will lose memory bandwidth. It just seems stupid to do that to me.

I understand the financial reasons but still. I just couldn't do that. I buy a system that I know will last for 3 years that way when I can build a new one it will be an up to date. I used a P4 3.2GHz with simple GPU(9800XT->X850XTX) and CPU(P4 3.2ghZ->P4EE 3.4ghZ) and it lasted me 5 years. This one will last me 2-3 years. 2007-2010. I want the Nehalem shrink Westmire.

But either way Intels sockets last about 3-4 years and is not that bad. Only real uses is chipsets for newer tech support really. Hell some Asus P965 and few P945's have support for Penryn.
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2008 2:01:54 AM

LOL. that was funny AMD3 being faster...ROFL!! Almost as funny as the Phonem thing that is FAR slower then the X2 6400+. But you should get the slower cpu because it's new!!!
February 27, 2008 2:39:50 AM

My Nforce 3 AGP asrock mobo is phenom compatible.
Actually, I have 0$ on my wallet. I just hope a dissapointed AMD user throws his phenom to the air and I catch it.

I'm going phenom. I'm the one who Laughs.
February 27, 2008 9:58:18 AM

computertech82 said:
LOL. that was funny AMD3 being faster...ROFL!! Almost as funny as the Phonem thing that is FAR slower then the X2 6400+. But you should get the slower cpu because it's new!!!

I thought we were supposed to get it because "Intel are EVIL" ?
February 27, 2008 1:06:15 PM

yomamafor1 said:
Maybe because the games you play do not depend on CPU too much? :sarcastic: 

At resolution 1680 x 1050, CPU's performance make minimal difference. Try adjusting your resolution to 1024 x 768 (which is what most professional gamers do), then you'll see the difference.

Although I have to admit, the difference in performance in real life is really minimal, at stock speed.

I don't know about you, but when I play games, it is for pleasure, not to see how many frames of badly pixelized images I can see.

part of the experience of new games is nicely rendered high resolution images. if FPS ocasionly dip down to the 30s I can handle that.

If you like chunky low resolution graphics, get a copy of the original Doom, it will run smoothly on any PC built in the 15 years or so.
February 27, 2008 2:55:47 PM

The reason professional gamers game at such low resolution is to ensure maximum stability during game. Every little twitch, every little lag could cost them the entire game.

And at that resolution, CPU's performance is more critical than gaming at 1680 x 1050. You won't see much difference at that resolution between your rig and his rig, because the bottleneck is at the GPU, not CPU.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest