Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Explorer 8

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 2, 2010 5:54:35 PM

On July 28 the Internet Explorer 8 was attacked by the fake virus AV Shield. Could no longer connect to the net. Switched to the backup browser and no problem I deleted Explorer 8 and tried to re down it, would not download. Tried with Google Chrome same issue. Now I have a yellow shield with a black exclamation mark in the right lower corner stating that updates are ready to download. However Microsoft Essentials state that there are no updates to download. Since the exclamation mark is black instead of red could this be part of the fake virus trying to download, and how can I get rid of it.

More about : explorer

a b 8 Security
July 2, 2010 6:18:26 PM

Download Malwarebytes and run the scan. I.E. was not the issue here, that software does not infect the browser but rather your system.
m
0
l
July 9, 2010 3:16:11 PM

First I notified Micosoft pertaining to the problem and what I had heard about the browser. They informed me to download malware bytes, and run it. Which I did, and found that SpryPro had duplicated itself 50 times through out the system. I still could not get on line using IE 8, so I notified my ISP server. The agent told me that they had been getting quite a few complaints about not getting on line, and that for some reason the browser settings had been changed. He had me go to settings and and remove one item that had been checked. I then found that I could now get on line with IE8 .
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
July 11, 2010 3:59:22 PM

Mary123 said:
First I notified Micosoft pertaining to the problem and what I had heard about the browser. They informed me to download malware bytes, and run it. Which I did, and found that SpryPro had duplicated itself 50 times through out the system. I still could not get on line using IE 8, so I notified my ISP server. The agent told me that they had been getting quite a few complaints about not getting on line, and that for some reason the browser settings had been changed. He had me go to settings and and remove one item that had been checked. I then found that I could now get on line with IE8 .


Most of those fake AV con-tricksters change your settings to look for a proxy when trying to connect. That leads you straight back into your own computer where their files show up as webpages with links to click to the site where they demand money. Hopefully, you didn't pay anything because it still wouldn't have gone away.

The setting you were advised to change was probably Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Connection tab>LAN button where you remove the tick from the Proxy settings. It doesn't necessarily mean you got all the fraudsters' files out of the system. If you still have problems, go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com and read up on ComboFix before downloading it. Any doubts, post back here before running it - it can break things if not used precisely.


m
0
l
!