"My god, it's full of stars, ...I mean phenoms"

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
The speculation is almost over,

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5877&Itemid=1

"We learned that AMD plans a massive showcase of Phenom B3 revision at Cebit and that most of AMD’s systems will be powered with these CPUs. We are talking about almost 200 computers that will be spread all around the show.

Phenom B3 revision is the one that doesn’t feature overblown TLB L3 memory issue and it should start shipping in early Q2 2008, at least that is what we’ve been hearing for a while.

Samples of Phenom B3 are finally out and we've also learned that Phenom 9700 at 2.6GHz is now possible and that it will launch with the B3 revision."

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
yes i can! lol

Shouldnt believe everything your told of course, but fudzilla come out with the most interesting tit-bits. vr-zone.com are quite good too.

"They mostly come at night. Mostly..." lol are you an Aliens fan or a south park fan? :)

So we are hoping this is true. Although I always though the 9700 was a 2.4GHz part and the 9900 was the 2.6GHz part.

And I guess we will have to wait and see if B3 helps performance at all. From the past year I wont hold my breath.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I dont think it'll be any faster clock-for-clock, theres no reason to think that really, just that it'll be overclockable and stable. What people are waiting for i think is a phenom that will oc to 3.0ghz and be stable. Thats a very signifigant 'magic number'.

I don't believe Fudzilla. I choose to believe a more reliable source, like AMD themselves. AMD said B3 would be out in January. At first I thought they meant 2008, but I had to second guess myself about 25 days ago.

I think Baron said 3ghz by the end of December too, he must have meant 2008 and not 2007.

But realistically, I don't see volume shipments of B3 until 2H2008

PS - Spoon, awesome title

mi1ez

Splendid

I can't imagine anything more tedious...

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Yeah I reckon 2h2008 for shipments, but it would be nice to see some samples in action en masse.

p.s. Cheers for the complement TC! :love:

Am I the only one who sees this error? Or do you think its all Fud. IDK but the 9700 is supposed to be 2.4GHz. So which is true. the 9700 or the 2.6GHz. Im going for the 9700 :p

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Good Catch!
I'm wagering on the Phenom 9700 @2.4Ghz.

I expect the Phenom 9900 @2.6Ghz to ship at some point, but I doubt it's going to be moved up that far since AMD has recently stated it was going to be a while.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

lol yes i do speak english thankyou and yes we also have that expression in England.

Therefore:

"If I could cherrypick AMD's production line, I could probably find 200 processors that run stably at 2.6 GHz - even with all four cores working.

----------------------------------------------------------

I can't imagine anything more tedious..."

My ANSWER not question: "picking cheeries (perhaps)?"

Cherry picking is only picking the best and ignoring the rest. For example, remember when AMD had a press event in November with a bunch of 3.0 ghz Phenoms? You can't even get a Black Edition Phenom that high! AMD Cherry picked 50 processors for the event that could run that high without major issues.

I don't expect to see a significant clock increase from B3. AMD really has one mission with B3, FIX THE TLB! If they can do that, then B3 will be a success. If they somehow aren't able to fix it or create some other issue while fixing it, then it is a failure.

I'd be interested to see if performance changes, clock for clock, with B3. (For example, if the B3 fix is to disable the L3 cache, we may see a performance decrease).

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Unfortunately we will still probably only see subpar performance.

AMD needs to go back to the drawing board. Hell ramp up some new phenom dual cores first. They seem to be trying to jump ahead and it is not working. Also maybe the native quad cpu will be more difficult to master and maybe they need to take the route Intell did by putting the cpu's in sets of two. I wonder if Intell will even bother with a native quad seeing all the trouble AMD has had.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
in my opinion, given that phenom is still around... what is it? 10-15% behind core2 clock for clock, correct me there, they need to hit around 5GHz, not 3, to be truly competitive. Intel may only release at 3.2GHz; but that 3.2 at stock will slaughter anything AMD has to offer, even when phenom is OCed to its ceiling.

what i'm saying is AMD needs something like a 3.5GHz stock chip with headroom to 4.5GHz or so, at least. until they can come close to that, i'm not interested.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

It was ment to be funny people!

"I can't imagine anything more tedious..."

my answer was:

"picking (real actuall cheeries of the fruit variety which would be very tedious) cheeries?"

That is picking out "cheeries" from phenom fabs might be less tedious than picking the fruit cheeries.

It loses its comic affect when you explain it lol

But yes good points all round from everyone. Jolly good show.

Why does everyone assume that AMD's 45nm tech will bring down their watts? This may be true but if it is based on SOI it will have to be clocked lower in order to allow the watts to lower.

Now if they do get HK/MG for 45nm in the later steppings then yes they can probably clock higher and give lower thermals but thats a big IF. No guarantee.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007

You live in a world all of your own making. In this world you make the mistake of thinking anyone in this industry cares about Ocers. We are the smallest part of this market and tbh we dont even matter fiscaly.