Akasa 965 + e2180

kagerou

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I installed an Akasa 965 to get better overclocking but I'm not sure it's doing a very good job. The e2180 is running @ 3 GHz with 1.356 V set in BIOS and the CPU temps are 40 degrees in idle and 55 at full load with the fan at 1800 RPM, wich seem a bit high.
I read the review over at frostytech and it achieved a 20 degree rise above ambient temp on the 85 W test running at low speed so I'm guessing I should have lower temps on my cpu, seeing as the ambient temperature
in my room is 30 degrees.
So is the article incorrect or is the cooler not properly installed?

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2137&page=4

Mondoman

Splendid
Sounds reasonable - unless you are using the *exact* same setup, you're comparing apples to oranges to a degree. Also keep in mind that an e2180 OC'd to 3GHz is a 100w or higher CPU now, not a 65w CPU.
To test if better case airflow would help, try running the computer with the case side off. If that drops temps substantially, then you need to improve case airflow by installing more/better exhaust fans near the back/top.

kagerou

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I only got a 1-2 degree improvement with the case side off so I guess 53 C is the best the cooler can do in the summer. Thanks for the reply Mondoman!