Palm Database Conversions

May 18, 2004 8:18:51 PM

I would like to convert my Palm archives and Palm memos into some open
format which is easily readable and can be imported. Has anybody had any
experience with this? Any references to a WWW source or a tool that will do
the job?

Roy
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 3:30:39 AM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:18:51 +0100, "Roy S Schestowitz"
<sch-at-danielsorogon-dot-com@use-address-before-at.com> was
understood to have stated the following:

>I would like to convert my Palm archives and Palm memos into some open
>format which is easily readable and can be imported. Has anybody had any
>experience with this? Any references to a WWW source or a tool that will do
>the job?

I save Palm memos to text files. Fire up the Palm desktop, select
multiple memos (or all in the category), and select "Copy" or "Cut"
from the edit menu. In NotePad or whatever your plain text editor of
choice is, do a "Paste", and save the results. I do a "Copy" from the
Palm desktop, and after having saved the text file, turn around and do
a "Cut" on the same selection, to make sure information isn't lost if
the Palm desktop or text editor application "belly up" during the
process.

The memos in the text file are delimited by form feeds, which means if
your text editor doesn't strip the form feeds (Microsoft Word will
strip 'em), you can select all from the text editor, and paste back
into the Palm desktop at some point in the future if the need be.

I take most of the text files created by the process outlined in the
first paragraph and convert them to Palm DOC files, and stuff 'em back
in the PDA. This gets them out of the memo pad, and into a compressed
file format that *can* be searched if I wish to look for that
information at some point in the future. Also, as they are Palm DOC
files, if I *really* need to edit the "archives" while I'm away from a
PC, I can, although I prefer not to. I carry DocEdit (a Doze app)
around with me on an SD card that I can plug in to a PC using a
JumpDrive Trio should the mood strike. I have a relatively intense and
detailed journal that I've been keeping for the last three or four
years in this manner.

There is also an application out there somewhere called Memo2Web, or
something like that. It also has a corresponding application called
Address2Web that works in a similar manner as Memo2Web, and as such
won't be elaborated on. Memo2Web is cool in that it allows you to
select multiple memo categories from the Palm Desktop, and exports
them to an HTML file. This is handy for sharing large amounts of
information with non-Palm equipped users. I created another user on
the Palm desktop that doesn't related to a physical Palm, and copy and
paste memos from my main user to this fictional user, which is the one
Memo2Web is configured to use. That way, I can quickly share vast
amounts of information in a reasonably organized manner should the
need strike. Plus, as this generates HTML files, I can feed those to
iSiloWeb (or iSiloX these days) and pump 'em back in to my PDA.
Benefits of using Memo2Web/iSilo over DOC is that the Memo2Web/iSilo
has a 'table of contents' and compresses to about half the size of a
DOC file, but the downside is that once it's converted to iSilo
format, you can't "reverse convert". Due to this limitation, if I'm
moving information to iSilo, and I think I might need to edit it
again, I'll save it as outlined in the first paragraph in addition to
following the procedure outlined in this paragraph.

As for archival of information in other applications, that's
application dependent. You could export the Palm address book as a
..CSV file, but if your contact field's types vary from contact to
contact, I don't think the CSV file is any good. The other built in
PIM apps seem to have very limited import/export capability, which is
a pity, as the calendar and to-do list really need a way for you to be
able to "mass email" updates to a number of individuals.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:08:37 AM

David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:18:51 +0100, "Roy S Schestowitz"
> <sch-at-danielsorogon-dot-com@use-address-before-at.com> was
> understood to have stated the following:
>
>>I would like to convert my Palm archives and Palm memos into some open
>>format which is easily readable and can be imported. Has anybody had any
>>experience with this? Any references to a WWW source or a tool that will
>>do the job?
>
> I save Palm memos to text files. Fire up the Palm desktop, select
> multiple memos (or all in the category), and select "Copy" or "Cut"
> from the edit menu. In NotePad or whatever your plain text editor of
> choice is, do a "Paste", and save the results. I do a "Copy" from the
> Palm desktop, and after having saved the text file, turn around and do
> a "Cut" on the same selection, to make sure information isn't lost if
> the Palm desktop or text editor application "belly up" during the
> process...

Thanks David. I will take your advice soon and start to export my data.

Let me just explain a bit more about what I have been looking for. I have
been interested in a file filter that can take, let us say, a datebook
archive (.dba IIRC) and produce a new file or network of files that do not
require Palm Desktop to be read. You never know if Palm Desktop will be
easily accessible in 20 years, you see? I want to take full advantage of my
data and reuse past notes where possible. Such a process must also not
involve any manual work such as cut-and-paste.

Roy
Anonymous
May 25, 2010 9:19:24 PM

You can convert Palm Datebook Archive files to CSV for free on this site: http://www.kmoser.com/palm2csv/. No installation necessary.