Running XP on a win7 netbook?

G

Hello, very useful stuff in this community. I want to buy a newer netbook with Win7 and swap my old HDD into it. The old HDD has XP Sp2. will it work? For some reason, mfr are limiting XP OS to the same machine with only 1GB. if you config the PC to have 3GB, they say you have to upgrade the OS. just a way to make more money?

Solution
The problem with transferring a hard drive with an OS installed from one PC to another, is a different HAL.dll. This can usually be corrected with a windows repair. However, if the old hard drive was installed with an OEM version of XP, it's not going to work with the netbook's hardware anyway.
G

"With proper skills" is the key phrase. Reread the Ops first post and tell me if you think he has "proper skills".

The problem with transferring a hard drive with an OS installed from one PC to another, is a different HAL.dll. This can usually be corrected with a windows repair. However, if the old hard drive was installed with an OEM version of XP, it's not going to work with the netbook's hardware anyway.

Solution

kengoh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hello, very useful stuff in this community. I want to buy a newer netbook with Win7 and swap my old HDD into it. The old HDD has XP Sp2. will it work? For some reason, mfr are limiting XP OS to the same machine with only 1GB. if you config the PC to have 3GB, they say you have to upgrade the OS. just a way to make more money?
Thanks for the feedback.vgood points about OEM version issue and the hard drive controllers. I will update again when i finally make the swap.

Activation would be the issue there. An OEM version handles hardware changes just like any other.

OEM versions don't work the same as retail versions. Once they are installed and activated on a certain hardware, they are tied to that hardware. They can't be transferred to another system.

The OEM license would. Thats not the same as the OS. He can move the install itself. It would just need a new license for the new machine.

So have I - it's called a Volume Licence Key - and I can't use it to copy an installation from one machine to another unless I physically see the old system being put beyond use. If you have another method, it could well be used in piracy and is best kept to yourself.[/#000ff]