Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Running XP on a win7 netbook?

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
July 2, 2010 10:03:05 PM

Hello, very useful stuff in this community. I want to buy a newer netbook with Win7 and swap my old HDD into it. The old HDD has XP Sp2. will it work? For some reason, mfr are limiting XP OS to the same machine with only 1GB. if you config the PC to have 3GB, they say you have to upgrade the OS. just a way to make more money?

More about : running win7 netbook

Anonymous
July 3, 2010 10:33:01 AM

No, you can't use your old hard drive unless the HW is the same. Windows XP works fine with 3 GB of RAM.
m
l
July 3, 2010 8:23:58 PM

Quote:
No, you can't use your old hard drive unless the HW is the same. Windows XP works fine with 3 GB of RAM.

Why wouldn't you? The OS would likely deactivate, but the hard drive should work.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 3, 2010 9:50:40 PM

Because you'll get a BSOD unless the hard drive controllers are the same in the old and new computers.
m
l
July 3, 2010 11:17:48 PM

Quote:
Because you'll get a BSOD unless the hard drive controllers are the same in the old and new computers.

Which seems likely in this scenario. I don't know if he should attempt it, but it is doable with proper skills.
m
l
Anonymous
July 4, 2010 12:08:51 AM

"With proper skills" is the key phrase. Reread the Ops first post and tell me if you think he has "proper skills".
m
l
July 4, 2010 4:45:19 AM

Quote:
"With proper skills" is the key phrase. Reread the Ops first post and tell me if you think he has "proper skills".

I agree 100%. Sometimes I get caught up in the merits of the debate and forget who asked the question. I stand corrected.

No offense to the OP.
m
l

Best solution

July 4, 2010 6:24:34 AM

The problem with transferring a hard drive with an OS installed from one PC to another, is a different HAL.dll. This can usually be corrected with a windows repair. However, if the old hard drive was installed with an OEM version of XP, it's not going to work with the netbook's hardware anyway.
July 9, 2010 3:47:44 PM

Quote:
Hello, very useful stuff in this community. I want to buy a newer netbook with Win7 and swap my old HDD into it. The old HDD has XP Sp2. will it work? For some reason, mfr are limiting XP OS to the same machine with only 1GB. if you config the PC to have 3GB, they say you have to upgrade the OS. just a way to make more money?

Thanks for the feedback.vgood points about OEM version issue and the hard drive controllers. I will update again when i finally make the swap.
m
l
July 9, 2010 3:49:08 PM

Best answer selected by kengoh.
m
l
July 9, 2010 6:24:47 PM

aford10 said:
The problem with transferring a hard drive with an OS installed from one PC to another, is a different HAL.dll. This can usually be corrected with a windows repair. However, if the old hard drive was installed with an OEM version of XP, it's not going to work with the netbook's hardware anyway.

Activation would be the issue there. An OEM version handles hardware changes just like any other.
m
l
July 10, 2010 3:07:29 AM

FALC0N said:
Activation would be the issue there. An OEM version handles hardware changes just like any other.

OEM versions don't work the same as retail versions. Once they are installed and activated on a certain hardware, they are tied to that hardware. They can't be transferred to another system.
m
l
July 10, 2010 3:18:23 AM

aford10 said:
OEM versions don't work the same as retail versions. Once they are installed and activated on a certain hardware, they are tied to that hardware. They can't be transferred to another system.

The OEM license would. Thats not the same as the OS. He can move the install itself. It would just need a new license for the new machine.
m
l
July 10, 2010 3:55:41 AM

You need a license to activate windows. There's not much point to installing an OS that you can't activate.
m
l
July 10, 2010 7:31:37 AM

aford10 said:
You need a license to activate windows. There's not much point to installing an OS that you can't activate.

Then buy a license and activate it.
m
l
July 10, 2010 7:34:19 AM

I have a 5 pound sledge that activates it every time.
m
l
July 10, 2010 7:43:42 AM

soundguruman said:
I have a 5 pound sledge that activates it every time.

[#0005ff]So have I - it's called a Volume Licence Key - and I can't use it to copy an installation from one machine to another unless I physically see the old system being put beyond use. If you have another method, it could well be used in piracy and is best kept to yourself.[/#000ff]
m
l
!