chuckyou2002

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
My concern is data back up. I was told to setup a raid. Why? If raid 0 crashes then I loose all the data. What should i do to protect my system and data?

thefoyfoy

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
There is a RAID FAQ on the main storage page that I believe will answer your questions, it's very helpful. And yes, if you lose a RAID 0 setup you would lose all of the data, RAID 0 is not designed to be secure as much as it is to be fast.

A backup is an external drive and backup software.
A backup is burning your data to DVD or CD.
RAID 1 is not a backup. No way, shape or form.
Never, ever use RAID of any form as a type of backup.
You do, and you WILL regret it.

bonanzaguy

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
So writing the same data to two separate hard drives *cough*RAID 1*cough* is not a form of data backup in any way, shape or form. K.

No it is not.
A backup is designed to protect you from things like Viruses, accidental or purposeful deletetions, software corruption, or any other number of things can cause you to lose your data. RAID 1 does nothing, absolutely nothing at all to protect your data. Zippo, nada, nothing. Whatever happens to your data on 1 drive, is instantaneously mirrored to the other drive. Delete a file...*poof" it is gone, off both disks.

RAID 1 is for redundancy, not a backup. Most people don't seem to understand the difference between the two.
However, people learn very quickly when they lose everything they have by using a RAID 1 array as a backup.