Scratch on the surface of my E8400

Moondrinker

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
There is a few remarkable scratches in my E8400 cpu that stands out from the rest of the tiny scratches.
Should it be anything to be worried about?

I know there is supposed to be tiny scratches in the CPU but these stand out and is really visible if you tip the CPU in the direction of the sunlight. I got the CPU without the warranty sticker broken, and the plastic clam was also fully intact, so there was no sign of the device being used.

:(

Eternal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Yeah when I bought mine it had a giant scratch also, so I asked the guy to get me another one and it also had a scratch, so then he checked to see if all of them were scratched and he said they were all like that. I mean most of them have small scratches, but these were really big, but he showed me about 5 that the guy in the cage gave him at frys and they all had those annoying scratches. I dont know what to think about it, since many people are barely getting them you cant really ask many people on the forum because some of them will hit you with the faboyism about a chip they dont even own. So just to let you know your not alone I noticed that too and the bad sensors just made the chip very disappointing. Be care full overclocking the chip dont trust the temperatures!!!!!

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
No it should not make any difference at all.

BTW, Eternal, the E8400 sensors display higher temperature most of the time, so if you don't overclock it, you definitely won't encounter any thermal issues with stock heatsink.

If you want to OC it to 4.0Ghz, you need an aftermarket cooler anyway.

Funny you now exchanged the chip for a far inferior E6750 :pt1cable:

My suggestion is to plug it in and boot her up. If it can run stable at stock while Prime95 for 8+ hours then it is good.

Then try OC'ing it to about 3.6GHz without adjusting the voltage and run Prime95 to see if it is stable.

If it runs stable at stock and OC you are good. If not then RMA it for a new one.

It wont even effect cooling as the thermal paste will fill it.

Eternal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Well what Im wondering is if Intel purposely marked them,hmmm. As the Op stated and knows there is deeper than normal horizontal scratch towards the top of the heatsink. I mean what else could cause it?

Eternal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Maybe they knew the bad batch from the good ones, is probably the most logical answer. Cant account for any other reason why they would do this except to mark them for a particular reason.