SpeedStep Disabled = Slow Initial Response Time

Suaph

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Here's the scenario:

ASUS Commando - Q6600 @ 3.0GHz... SpeedStep option set to ENABLED in Bios.
3Dmark06 and game performance suffers slightly due to this option (obviously).
However, programs load quickly and reliably even when immediately out of sleep mode.

Set SpeedStep option to DISABLED in Bios.
3Dmark06 increases 3000+, performance in games picks up slightly.
Internet Explorer and other simple programs have delayed load response times. Windows open as quickly as before, but actual details (web pages, tabs, menu, etc) fill in after a couple (2-5) of seconds.

Perhaps I am just being anal, but I would think that SpeedStep being disabled would make programs load as quickly or more quickly than with it enabled.

Any suggestions or anyone who has experienced a similiar scenario?

gewone

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Feel free to bump in with some answer on this one, found this - old - thread by Google, and it suited as a match for my issue, therefor this post, hope no one takes offense for re-bumping >6mth thread here ;P Anyways. What's up with this? My personal little "all-around benchmark tool" is - and have always been - a simple Win+Break in Win32 (2K/XP/Vista/7). I then just notice how many ms/secs will elapse till sysdm.cpl is popping up. I've noticed, on my - unclocked, w/ SpeedStep enabled - rig, after being idle for a while, the load of System Properties takes a while longer, sometimes almost like.. several seconds. I have always thought that this is caused by SpeedStep pulling down CPU action when being inactive, thus I will always have a more like.. err.. instant response.. whenever I chose to disable SpeedStep. Furthermore, since this has only been a theoretical test, for kicks sort of, I havn't cared much. However, this thread is rising worries. These "details" (boxes ie.) you're mentioning is perhaps just about equal to my little sysdm.cpl test.

Arrgh..!

@You l33ters, is it conceivable that my Win+Break response time will actually worsen by disabling StepStep in BIOS?

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I'm not sure why that would be happening. I just got speedstep(ish) to work on my E6600 machine, and it seems to be just as responsive as with it off. I had to use a little freeware app to do it, but it seems that as soon as I ask the machine to do something (Win+Break, for example :) ) , it's right back to full speed instantly. Or, a delay so short I can't see it. I also haven't noticed any difference in my apps, I actually checked my average FPS in MW2 with SS on and with it off, absolutely no difference what so ever. Maybe there is some light to be shed on this one, though...