photomanelvis

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I loaded windows xp 64 bit but when i tried to install the drivers it tell me setup does not support my operating system.It tell me it only support windows xp an a few others. is there something am forgeting to do.

No its not. Driver support is all over the place. Once Vista/7 64 bit became popular, porting to XP64 was rampant. People keep repeating this crap from 5 years ago about there not being drivers. Its just not true anymore.

Yes. Your forgetting to install 64 bit drivers. 64 bit windows operating systems, be they XP, Vista, or 7 all require 64 bit drivers. Your getting this error message because your likely trying to install 32 bit drivers.

What drivers are you trying to install?

Unless you have some resource that I'm not aware of, 64 bit XP drivers, aren't prevalent. Some hardware do have the drivers, but the majority don't. It's more than just hardware drivers too. I had a lot of software that wouldn't run in the XP 64 bit environment. This was the exact reason that I stopped using XP 64 bit.

A position I once held. However I have a few friends who use it and made clear to me that things had changed in the last few years. So I installed it on a second system and was impressed. I now look for XP 64 drivers anytime I need a driver for any system and they now appear to be universally available. I was wrong, and so are you.

That doesn't mean the support is as good as Vista/7 64, but its pretty solid now. However, you do have to find them yourself. You wont find them on windows update like Vista/7.

They aren't alwasy easy to find, but so far I've found what I needed, e.g., I have D-Link 802b USB wifi I've been using on my machine a while. After a little reasearch, I found that the mfr's of most of these types wireless connectors use Ralink hardware and drivers. Here's what available at ralink for it's hardware - note the dates of the updates and the supported OSes. I admit I haven't found any XPx64 drivers for my Microtek scanner. :(

What scanner do you have? Are there any X64 drivers of any sort? A lot of these items with no drivers have no X64 drivers at all. That not an XP 64 issue, its an X64 issue in general.

This is part of the whole "XP 64 doesn't have drivers" myth that I am always arguing with people about. This printer doesn't have XP 64 drivers. But it doesn't have Vista or 7 64 bit drivers either. In fact, it doesn't have Vista/7 32 bit drivers. Yet you will never see a complaint about how vista/7 doesn't have drivers.

XP 64 is held to a completely different standard because of its long outdated reputation.

I wasn't arguing or complaining; I had searched for x64 drivers before I installed XPx64. I wanted to try XPx64 to run some benchmarks with XPx86, XPx64, Win7x32rc1, and Win7x64rc1 on the same machine. That way I could determine which OS actually performed better. I never tried Win7x86, but I still have that machine triple-booting the OSes, but now I primarily use Win7Ultimatex64 on it. By the way XPpx86 scored a few points higher than the others in 3DMark06 and Everest Ultimate. I was surprised because that machine has 4GB of DDR3 RAM and I knew XPx86 was only seeing and using 2048 of it. After some more research I concluded that the x64's use of WOW for 32-bit application was the reason they were a little slower - the OS was performing some extra operations to use the 32-bit apps. Since I was over 20,000 points in 3DMark06 anyway, I didn't mind, and Win7 added DirectX11 for games. My GPUs are 10.1 (HD 4870s), but I'll upgrade to an HD 5870 when I feel the need.

photomanelvis

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

sorry i must of wrote this wrong, i am trying to install the motherboard drivers.

Grumpy to the rescue. Just follow his link and download the drivers from the MSI website. Those drivers will be newer. The disk that came with the board may not have included the X64 drivers.

If that still causes problems, then just download the chipset drivers directly from intel. But the MSI drivers should do the trick.