Sign in with
Your question

Lian-Li Armorsuit P-80

Last response: in Components
February 25, 2008 3:58:02 PM

Hello I have been thinking about upgrading my computer case from an Antec 900, since I need the extra space, and the Antec is much to common for my taste, and ego. I have been looking at cases for months and have not found a single one I felt was good enough to replace my Antec 900. Then I found the Lian-Li Armorsuit, which everyone says is a rip off of the ThermalTake Armor series, but it is not. I never liked the Armor series mostly because the cases were too overdone, it lacked a few features I wanted, but most of all it just did not look like a case that bespoke quality. My question is to you all, what do you think of the Lian-Li Armorsuit? Yes I know this is the full tower version and is not out yet, and the mid tower is, but I want the full tower. If you own or have some information on the Mid-tower version then I would also like to hear it, since the full tower is supposed to be just a roomier version. Also I'm open to opinions about the Full tower vs. Mid tower versions.

http://www.directron.com/pcp80.html

From what I gather:

Pros:
-High end company
-Looks nice
-Great cooling
-Removable motherboard tray
-Easy to hide wires
-Comes with all fans preinstalled

Cons:
-Expensive (though you do not need to buy extra fans)

More about : lian armorsuit

February 25, 2008 6:09:06 PM

Lian-Li makes great cases. I'd probably wait for the full tower to come out but thats just my opinion, I have to have room for my meaty hands to work and I just cant do that in a mid.

February 25, 2008 8:26:54 PM

Thanks, I saw on the web site that the full tower case was out of stock so I assumed that it wasn't actually released yet. I like the P-80 thanks to its massive cooling, which is why I bought an Antec 900 to begin with. Ill list what I want in a case, because though I really like the P-80 and the brand, I have never been one to assume something is worth my money because of the name printed on it.

Major requirements:
-I want a large case, either a really nice mid-tower or a full tower.
-I want very good cooling.
-I don't want flames, swirls, or anything like that on the case, if it has a window then let it just be a window, no designs, though anything that has a cooling purpose I can usually learn to live with.
-Must support extended-ATX, ATX, and micro ATX, BTX is not a major requirement only a bonus.

Minor requirements:
-Removable motherboard tray would be nice, but not necessary.
-Ability to hide wires without modding would be nice.
-BTX as stated above would be nice, but not a necessity.
-Preferably bottom mounted power supply design.

Thank you for any help what so ever, and I hope that this will help other people as well.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 25, 2008 9:16:24 PM

I like that Armorsuit case, but it's way too expensive for most people. Also, some Newegg reviewers say they replaced the fans because they were noisy. That's unacceptable IMO in this price range. It would bring the total price to $400+$22 shipping + ($100 or so for new fans and their shipping). Yuck...

I wonder who needs 10 expansion slots. Somebody with a 790fx mobo and 4 video cards, I guess...

Last summer I did a lot of research and came up with a short list of TJ-09 and LIAN LI PC-V2100B. Check them out.
Eventually I paid $330 for the TJ-09 plus $60 for additional fans. It came with two quality fans, no noise problems there, so I kept them for a total of five 120mm fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=TJ-09&x=0&y=0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112064
February 25, 2008 9:25:59 PM

As mentioned by taso1000 the A70 and A71 series would suit you also... the only thing they dont cover on your lists is BTX compatibility i think

Im going to get an A70B for my server (enough room for ~10 hard drives), its a sexy plain case plenty of cooling and space ;)  Not as expensive as the Armoursuit either.
February 25, 2008 10:56:03 PM

A friend of mine got a Silverstone Tj09, but it cools only half as well as my Antec 900 and I want something that cools atleast as well as my Antec 900. Also it looks hideous to me, but the Lian-Li A71 seems to have decent cooling, I only wish it had a exhaust fan on the top, but 2 fans in the back almost make up for that. I will seriously consider the A71, even though I'm not sure about the full tower version of the Armorsuit anymore, but the mid tower still seems a contender. Any more opinions on different cases or stated ones will help, and thank you for your posts. Also the PC-V2100B is very nice but lacks sufficient cooling, if anyone knows any easy mods to fix this I would love to hear them, if I can not get better cooling then I might as well go with the P-80, since I care little for the noise of the computer, thats what speakers are for.
February 26, 2008 8:06:21 PM

I am really starting to warm up to the Lian-Li A71 case, anyone own this case, or know some one that does? I would love some first hand experience. The only problem I can find with it is that the door opens from right to left, and like most people I know I'm used to my computer on the right of me. This is really no big deal however.

Thank you.
February 26, 2008 9:29:54 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
I am really starting to warm up to the Lian-Li A71 case, anyone own this case, or know some one that does? I would love some first hand experience. The only problem I can find with it is that the door opens from right to left, and like most people I know I'm used to my computer on the right of me. This is really no big deal however.

Thank you.

Get A70... no door problem solved ;) 
March 10, 2008 5:58:29 PM

The door on the Armorsuit is reversable.

Mine should be in by this evening or tomorrow. I had mine modded to include a window with an additional fan. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
March 12, 2008 12:25:05 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
A friend of mine got a Silverstone Tj09, but it cools only half as well as my Antec 900 and I want something that cools atleast as well as my Antec 900. Also it looks hideous to me, but the Lian-Li A71 seems to have decent cooling, I only wish it had a exhaust fan on the top, but 2 fans in the back almost make up for that. I will seriously consider the A71, even though I'm not sure about the full tower version of the Armorsuit anymore, but the mid tower still seems a contender. Any more opinions on different cases or stated ones will help, and thank you for your posts. Also the PC-V2100B is very nice but lacks sufficient cooling, if anyone knows any easy mods to fix this I would love to hear them, if I can not get better cooling then I might as well go with the P-80, since I care little for the noise of the computer, thats what speakers are for.

You can get a top for the a70 or a71 that has holes for 2 120mm fans (FrozenCPU or Performance-pcs), but it is around $60 delivered + fans. I just got the A70B and love it-hard drive mounting, cooling, space, quality, good cable management potential; it just seems to have it all. The V series is flawed with the inverted mainboard so heatpipes don't work as well and the larger CPU coolers won't fit properly (my prior case was a 1200 Plus II).
March 12, 2008 12:54:39 AM

I know it is much more plebian, but the Antec P-180 or 182 would meet your requirements.

My wires run down behind the motherboard to the bottom mounted psu, and I even got in a full watercooling setup with pump, 2 black ice rads, and a resevoir all inside the case. 2 dvd rws, 5.25 bay psu for my 8800 GTX, and it cools my e6750 to around 30c load (at a 3.5 oc)and high 40s for the GTX.

Room to add another GTX in sli if the 9800 GTX is not up to snuff.

Give it a look, I was very skeptical, but have been very happy with cooling, looks, and noise levels.

http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_performance1.php

April 25, 2008 11:59:15 PM

Well I just got my PC-P80 yesterday and I love it. It is one quiet case! Plenty of room inside it for further expansion down the road. I figured it would sound like a windtunnel with all those big fans but you can't even hear them at all. You don't need to pay extra for someone to mod it with a side window. You just order W-75BP side panel to go with it, its only $45. Of course I watercooled mine, so if it wasn't for the pretty blue lights you wouldn't know it was turned on.

For the one poster that was wondering if the fans ran with the door open, Yes they do.
!