Hey folks I'm really in trouble...I will be here 24/7

Copperhead 1

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I have a neighbor whom has a spinal injury and uses his computer to connect with the outside world. He has had a catastophic CRASH in his system. The parameters are as follows: HP Media Center M7434N. He is running Some version of Xp, but I don't know which one. This model has this very large removeable media drive, which I can't describe properly. I have been trying to help sort the problem, but have very limited expierience with such troubles.

I can get it to the point where it askes me which drive to start with, However, no matter what I do it will register: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER That's it. I have taken my friends computer home with me with the promise that I will bring it back to him in working order. I would be sooo grateful for any and all ideas...? Thank you in advance. Copperhead 1

Solution

Press the F1 key when machine is turned on, press every second until BIOS shows up, and

Go Here for instructions on using the BIOS utility: Copy and paste this link into your browsr (clicking it will send you to the wrong place)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&cc=nz&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1841803#N1440

The first screen shows drives and memory installed in the machine. The hard drive must be listed or you have no computer.

The...

That machine shipped with XP Media Center Edition

The computer BIOS detects the presence of the hard drive. Does it detect properly?
The computer BIOS has settings to choose boot device. Check the Hard drive is the #1 boot device.
Some computer BIOS settings allow "boot other device." If that computer BIOS has this feature, make sure it is enabled.
and then try again...

Copperhead 1

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Brother, I know this sounds imbecilic to to you, But I don't know how to get into BIOS... I have no idea about how to get into BIOS, But the good news is, that if you will be kind enough to teach me... You will only have to do it once... I'm good at directions. :)

Copperhead 1

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
You should see the size of this removable Media Center Hard drive... It weighs about 3.5 lbs. and made to just slide out. The directions from Microsft advise me to remove this hardware so that it is safe from alteration. OK, but I have a feeling that when you pull this, (It's about the size of Atlas Shrugged), that the system feels as though it's been "Tampered" with... And consequently disables all System Function... I am very new to this, but I gotta learn quick, 'cause I made a promise and neither of us has a piece of paper money between us... If you can help, I will be forever in your debt... Thanks. Copperhead 1

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Getting into the BIOs is easy. Some computers are different when accessing the BIOs. Usually, getting into the BIOs is just a matter of restarting, and tapping one key (could be any of many keys) until a menu comes up. Try restarting, and keep tapping the DELETE key. If it brings up a menu with a blue background, you're there! Look for an option to change the boot sequence, and refer to the post above. What we're trying to accomplish here is to see if your computer is detecting your hardware. Hope this helps...

Copperhead 1

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Hey Fellas, My laptop works Very well. I have two computers here in my bedroom. One makes magic trickx all the day long. The other is about 3cm from a boat to China. Help me please...

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Copperhead,

I hope the information in this thread has pushed you over enough for you to resolve this issue from here on in. See you around the forums! Good night.

Press the F1 key when machine is turned on, press every second until BIOS shows up, and

Go Here for instructions on using the BIOS utility: Copy and paste this link into your browsr (clicking it will send you to the wrong place)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&cc=nz&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1841803#N1440

The first screen shows drives and memory installed in the machine. The hard drive must be listed or you have no computer.

The Boot menu shows the boot priority for storage devices. It is Ok to have a CD/DVD drive as #1 as long as there is no disk in the drive when it is booting.

If the boot time diagnostic screen is disabled, Enable it. That will show you a wealth of information while the computer is booting. Change options by pressing the Enter key.

Solution

n
n
nYou selected mine as best answer... Thanks.
n
nBefore I turn out the lights and get some sleep, does the computer work now? Do you need any more help?
n
n
nI'm a bit nervous, my internet connection keeps dropping on the U.S. side, but re-connects. I'm worried it will go out and stay out. I am in Caracas Venezuela and have a couple VPN's to the States (virtual private network connections).
nOne is blinking badly tonight. I'll switch to the one that surfaces in Texas and see if it sticks better. My concern is that you'll need something more and I won't be able to respond.
n

TRENDING THREADS