Sign in with
Your question

XP Pro 32-bit to XP Pro 64-bit

Last response: in Windows XP
July 3, 2010 4:35:19 AM

Hello guys.

I just built a gaming rig, but was stuck using the Windows XP Pro 32-bit OS instead of 64-bit or Windows 7. I've already installed a fair amount of drivers and a few programs just to see how well my PC operates, so I was wondering if there was a way to upgrade my 32-bit to 64-bit without having to reinstall the new OS in its entirety. I really don't want to be forced re-do all this work and hope there's a quick fix for it.

Also, should I really invest in Windows 7? I could probably find XP on the cheap, but I don't really want to pay 100 clams for 7 if XP will be just as good for gaming.

Thanks for the advice ahead of time, gents. I appreciate it.

More about : pro bit pro bit

a b $ Windows 7
July 3, 2010 5:27:08 AM

Quote:
I was wondering if there was a way to upgrade my 32-bit to 64-bit without having to reinstall the new OS in its entirety.

No.

Quote:
Also, should I really invest in Windows 7

XP uses prefetch and is good for 4gigs of system RAM with a portion of that limited address space reserved for system hardware like the video card, etc. So, if you want 4GB or more system RAM using superfetch addressing all the system RAM all the time XP will not get you there. A Franklin is hardly an investment unless you live in the third world.

a b $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2010 6:13:30 AM

If you want DX10 or DX11 graphics in your games then you will need to install Win Vista or Win 7. If you don't mind staying with DX9 then there goes a major reason to upgrade.

Not sure if it Win 7's performance has improved since it's release, but you may take a slight hit to gaming performance; meaning maybe 2% - 3% as opposed to Win XP. I've seen some games where the CPU specs were slightly higher for Win Vista/7 vs Win XP.

Win XP will limit your addressable RAM to around 3.25GB (at least for me it does). I'm still using playing games on Win XP. The only game I bought which supported DX10 was Crysis; played that with my ol' X1900XT @ 1920 x 1200. Dropped in a HD 5850 when it died, but didn't bother to replay Crysis.

The last game I bought was Fallout 3 and that didn't have DX10. Next game for me is Fallout: New Vegas which I suspect is a DX10 title. But since I'm gonna be laid off of work soon, I'm not gonna bother upgrading to Win 7 yet.
!