Changing folder name in "Douments&Settings"

New machine and new to XP - have noticed that the supplier of new m/c
has used our very distinctive surname to name the system folder under
Documents and Settings when installing XP Home.

Can we change this as it seems to be appearing in a lot of situations
- is it possible that this might be transmitted out onto the internet
via emails etc. or web surfing - will we get "personally addressed"
spam as a result?

Tried "rename" but of course it says it cannot be done as it is a
System folder"

Any advice much appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about changing folder douments settings

    Aiden wrote:
    > New machine and new to XP - have noticed that the supplier of new m/c
    > has used our very distinctive surname to name the system folder under
    > Documents and Settings when installing XP Home.
    >
    > Can we change this as it seems to be appearing in a lot of situations
    > - is it possible that this might be transmitted out onto the internet
    > via emails etc. or web surfing - will we get "personally addressed"
    > spam as a result?
    >
    > Tried "rename" but of course it says it cannot be done as it is a
    > System folder"
    >
    > Any advice much appreciated.

    Leave it alone.
    The only information pushed to the internet on a well configured/maintained
    and immunized PC is what you push out yourself.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Customer: "Can you misspell my name on my email address? That way I will
    get less spam."
    Me: "But.. you will be using that email address for everything?"
    Customer: "Yes."
    Me: *blank stare*
    Customer: "That will work, right?"

    <snip>
    >Leave it alone.
    >The only information pushed to the internet on a well configured/maintained
    >and immunized PC is what you push out yourself.
    >
    >--
    >Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    >--
    >How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    .... take your point, but.....

    ....as the system's new and clean, so not too cluttered up yet - if I
    re-installed XP with the installation disk that came with it, will I
    be able to rename it then - or has Microsoft now got this "written in
    stone" from the first registration?

    Hi,

    You would have to do a clean installation. A user profile folder under D&S
    is permanently named, though you can rename the account itself. As long as
    that account is used, you would not be able to rename or remove it. A
    simpler solution would be to create a new user and copy the data into it,
    then disable and remove the surname user account.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

    Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
    destination profile you must log into it once first to create the necessary
    file structure before you do the copy procedure.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Aiden" <aiden54@NOSPAMANYMORETHANKYOUhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >>Leave it alone.
    >>The only information pushed to the internet on a well
    >>configured/maintained
    >>and immunized PC is what you push out yourself.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP
    >>--
    >>How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    >>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > ... take your point, but.....
    >
    > ...as the system's new and clean, so not too cluttered up yet - if I
    > re-installed XP with the installation disk that came with it, will I
    > be able to rename it then - or has Microsoft now got this "written in
    > stone" from the first registration?

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 06:50:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >You would have to do a clean installation. A user profile folder under D&S
    >is permanently named, though you can rename the account itself. As long as
    >that account is used, you would not be able to rename or remove it. A
    >simpler solution would be to create a new user and copy the data into it,
    >then disable and remove the surname user account.
    >
    >How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
    >
    >Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
    >destination profile you must log into it once first to create the necessary
    >file structure before you do the copy procedure.

    Thanks Nutter, sorry, Rick -- so if I understand you ( & Microsoft)
    correctly, what I will be doing in effect is creating a new user name,
    (never done that yet) - two in fact called, say, A & B. I will have
    to work from A (according to the link) to copy from the "wrong",
    ("Surname") one to the "new" one, B, right?

    So having created the structure in B (how?) and, working from A,
    copied everything to B, how does one then "disable and remove the user
    account" - "Surname"?

    Sorry to seem so dim - but 10years of W95/98 will be hard to break
    away from - especially when you're my age! Just 24hours into XP and
    having to go back to basics - it's not fair.

    But really appreciate your help - sounds as if we might be onto
    something here.

    Hi,

    Close. You must copy from outside of either profile when copying. You do
    this by logging in as administrator after creating and logging into "B" to
    create the folder structure.

    --

    > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 06:50:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>You would have to do a clean installation. A user profile folder under D&S
    >>is permanently named, though you can rename the account itself. As long as
    >>that account is used, you would not be able to rename or remove it. A
    >>simpler solution would be to create a new user and copy the data into it,
    >>then disable and remove the surname user account.
    >>
    >>How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
    >>
    >>Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
    >>destination profile you must log into it once first to create the
    >>necessary
    >>file structure before you do the copy procedure.
    >
    > Thanks Nutter, sorry, Rick -- so if I understand you ( & Microsoft)
    > correctly, what I will be doing in effect is creating a new user name,
    > (never done that yet) - two in fact called, say, A & B. I will have
    > to work from A (according to the link) to copy from the "wrong",
    > ("Surname") one to the "new" one, B, right?
    >
    > So having created the structure in B (how?) and, working from A,
    > copied everything to B, how does one then "disable and remove the user
    > account" - "Surname"?
    >
    > Sorry to seem so dim - but 10years of W95/98 will be hard to break
    > away from - especially when you're my age! Just 24hours into XP and
    > having to go back to basics - it's not fair.
    >
    > But really appreciate your help - sounds as if we might be onto
    > something here.

Microsoft Windows XP