Your question

First build, have a couple decions to make

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2008 2:51:02 AM

Building primarily for gaming, photoshop, and media streaming to my living room. Here is what I have so far:

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131182

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

EVGA 640-P2-N829-A3 GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130305

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB/CE/CSA/UL/FCC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136131

SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache PATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151155

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support 300 cd/m2 700:1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/SP2B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116049

Suggestions on better or more cost effective alternatives would be greatly appreciated. As I stated, this is my first build, so I have tried to do my research, but I have no experience behind my choices. I have also considered the 8800GT, but the slant seems to be towards the 8800GTS for cooling reasons.

The monitor seems almost too good to be true, in terms of price, so any feedback on that would be great. Resolution is 1680x1050, and I am concerned I may outgrow my videocard too quickly as new games come out. I could go with a 19" instead (res 1440x900), but bigger is always better if I can get away with it.

I am torn on the operating system as well. It seems like a lot of people are running Vista, which up until this
point I have heard to avoid like the plague. The only reason I see to choose Vista is DX10, and I am just not sure it is worth it for that. If I did go Vista I would go 64-bit, but once again, I think I would probably be better off upgrading the OS later once some more of the bugs get worked out.

I had considered a 780i chipset, but I don't intend to add another card anytime soon, and by the time I do I figure I will probably be better off just replacing the card rather than going SLI. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Let me know. Thanks.

More about : build couple decions make

February 5, 2008 11:23:35 AM

I would go with many drives than one big drive. Maybe one 250GB drive for OS, games and photoshop and another 500GB for media streaming.

February 5, 2008 12:49:10 PM

I had considered going with a 500GB RAID array, would that be fast enough, or am I still better off going with a 250 or smaller for the OS?
Related resources
February 5, 2008 1:14:55 PM

No RAID, one drive for OS and apps, one drive for data and paging file. 250/500 should be fine. Get XP Pro. You can skip the Artic Cooler unless you are going to be seriously overclocking. For the video card you want the 8800 G92, either the GT or GTS. Your link was to a discontinued card. You could save a little on the ram.
February 5, 2008 1:35:16 PM

I don't think RAID is better.
February 5, 2008 2:00:54 PM

Quote:
No RAID, one drive for OS and apps, one drive for data and paging file. 250/500 should be fine. Get XP Pro. You can skip the Artic Cooler unless you are going to be seriously overclocking. For the video card you want the 8800 G92, either the GT or GTS. Your link was to a discontinued card. You could save a little on the ram.

Thank you. I was going to be severely saddened if no one suggested against the G80 640MB GTS. >_<

To OP: As nhobo said, change the graphics card to an 8800GTS 512MB (G92). It's cheaper than the 640MB / 320MB older, G80 card, and will leave it in the dust in terms of performance.

Quote:
I had considered going with a 500GB RAID array, would that be fast enough, or am I still better off going with a 250 or smaller for the OS?

I'll also say that I don't think RAID is worth the trouble. Unless you need RAID 1 for redundancy, avoid it all together.

Quote:
The monitor seems almost too good to be true, in terms of price, so any feedback on that would be great. Resolution is 1680x1050, and I am concerned I may outgrow my videocard too quickly as new games come out. I could go with a 19" instead (res 1440x900), but bigger is always better if I can get away with it.

The monitor seems good on paper, but I can't say anything for certain about Acer. I just haven't heard enough about them to formulate an opinion yet.

Quote:
I am torn on the operating system as well. It seems like a lot of people are running Vista, which up until this
point I have heard to avoid like the plague. The only reason I see to choose Vista is DX10, and I am just not sure it is worth it for that. If I did go Vista I would go 64-bit, but once again, I think I would probably be better off upgrading the OS later once some more of the bugs get worked out.
Ok, if you have XP already, then just stay with it and upgrade later. Vista doesn't really offer up anything fantastic besides DX10 (but even this has it's downfalls - ex. HUGE performance hits). 64bit is only going to cause trouble w/o really providing any notable performance increase... (It will allow your PC to full see 4GB of RAM, but you're only going with 2... so this doesn't immediately benefit you)

To sum things up: Stay with XP if you've got it. If not, go for Vista 32 bit Home Premium (or Ultimate) and change to 64 bit once the driver / software support gets up-to-par. I believe the 64 bit upgrade for Vista is like $10, so it's not really going to cost much when you want to upgrade.

Quote:
I had considered a 780i chipset, but I don't intend to add another card anytime soon, and by the time I do I figure I will probably be better off just replacing the card rather than going SLI. Correct me if I am wrong here.
Yeah, just avoid Nvidia chipsets. Some of the chipsets are really annoying w/ Sata optical drives atm... it will cause some to be able to write but not read... read but no write... etc. Also, at the 1680x1050 res... you're borderline high resolution, so I would agree that a card replacement would probably give you a better boost than an extra card.
February 5, 2008 2:02:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like my hard drive decision is made. Why XP Pro vs Media Center? I am still fuzzy on the difference between XP Pro and XP Home. I believe the current version of Media Center is based on XP Home, correct me if I am wrong.

Any thoughts on the monitor or whether or not to worry about getting an SLI motherboard?
February 5, 2008 2:07:43 PM

media center is for home users, ie home premium of vista, while xp pro has better networking and business features...
February 5, 2008 2:10:10 PM

Applications will work just as well on XP Home as on XP Pro.
Updates and patches should work equally on both.
XP Pro mainly offers business level networking / security services. (Domains, IIS, web servers, better NTFS security properities, remote desktop, etc.)

I think you get a longer support period on XP Pro as well, but other than that they are almost identical. /shrug
February 5, 2008 2:14:00 PM

rgeist554, thanks for the thorough reply. I think I will stay with XP, just one less thing to deal with since this is my first build. It sounds like RAID is definately out, which also just makes my life easier. I have read elsewhere that the Nvidia chipsets seem to have...issues, but it sounds like I can avoid that as well.

On the videocard, are there any brands that I should watch out for or is really just a matter of personal preference? There is at a least a $50 spread between manufacturers, although some of that is whether or not the card is overclocked.

I had thought to overclock, but that is something else I haven't done before, so I don't know if I am going with way overkill on these parts or not. With things like the CPU cooler, I had thought that the worst case would be a cooler case, which couldn't hurt. Although, it is nice to know that I may not need that if I want to trim the budget down some.
February 5, 2008 2:22:05 PM

That's a very nice setup.

The Asus motherboard, at $200, doesn't sound so tempting. aBit IP35Pro at $150 and GA-P35-DS4 at $180 look better to me. They also get better user ratings. (57% love the P5K Deluxe at newegg, 70% the IP35Pro, 73% the DS4). Of course, if WiFi matters to you, the Asus may be worth it. Why don't you compare features at newegg and see.

Excellent choice of CPU, RAM, HDD (WD7500AAKS :love:  ), cooler, case.

I'd get a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W for $130 instead of the GameXStream for $109 (both prices after rebates and shipping), but the GameXStream is pretty good too.

Get a SATA burner, e.g. SH-S203N (or SH-S203B if you don't need LightScribe).

If you play Flight Simulator X get a Q6600. For all other games E8400 is perfect.

Media Center is OK, especially if you add a TV tuner. I use it myself. There are some issues with nVidia's drivers for it, but minor. For example PowerDVD can't play a movie on a monitor while I play a DirectX game full-screen on another. You probably won't care, of course.

Right, forget SLI, it's not worth it. If you really want two video cards use ATI cards and an X38 mobo, because at least Crossfire is more efficient than SLI. Also, I'm not happy with 780i mobos and Penryn, bad combo for now AFAIK.

Video card: the 8800GTS G92 512MB, HD 3870X2, 8800GTX are your best choices. The eVGA 8800GTX at newegg is only $420 after rebate, which makes it a good deal IMO. The HD3870X2 beats the 8800GTX in most games, but not all, and it costs more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161224

I'm rather torn between the 8800GTS G92 at $280 and the 8800GTX at $420. At lower resolutions paying $140 more for the GTX is a waste. At higher resolutions you'd benefit a lot in games like Crysis for example. The HD 3870X2 is the best of these 3 very often, but in some games it will be the worst because those games don't support Crossfire properly (yet) and the X2 is internally made of two 3870s in Crossfire.

I'm not a big fan of Acer monitors (I use LG, Samsung and Viewsonic these days and love them all) but that particular model gets good ratings. I like that they included the DVI cable too. Good price. Yeah, go for it.
February 5, 2008 2:25:57 PM

Quote:
On the videocard, are there any brands that I should watch out for or is really just a matter of personal preference? There is at a least a $50 spread between manufacturers, although some of that is whether or not the card is overclocked.
XFX and EVGA are my personal favorites. They've both got lifetime warranties for people in the US and offer bonuses. XFX allows for overclocking and modding of the stock HSF, while EVGA lets you "step up". That means you can upgrade to a better card within 90 days of the original purchase.

Quote:
I had thought to overclock, but that is something else I haven't done before, so I don't know if I am going with way overkill on these parts or not. With things like the CPU cooler, I had thought that the worst case would be a cooler case, which couldn't hurt. Although, it is nice to know that I may not need that if I want to trim the budget down some.
From what I heard, the C2D's are very OC'er friendly and that stock cooling can handle moderate overclocks while keeping everything cool.
February 5, 2008 2:30:16 PM

aevm, thanks for the feedback. WiFi doesn't matter to me on this PC, so I will check out those other motherboards. Is the PC Power & Cooling Silencer quieter, or just better quality, or both? The only reason I hadn't chosen the SATA burner was because I thought it might cause problems with the RAID setup, but now that I don't plan to do RAID, I wll definately go with it. I had been looking at a 19" Samsung monitor that was supposed to be of good quality, but then I found this Acer for the same price at 22". It is very tempting, especially since it does get such good reviews.
February 5, 2008 2:32:52 PM

I had heard about the "step up" option, but hadn't heard who exactly offered it. Good information once again, thanks.
February 5, 2008 2:56:36 PM

Quote:
Is the PC Power & Cooling Silencer quieter, or just better quality, or both?
Both. Mine is absolutely silent (I have the 750 version, but it's basically the same thing). Also, PC Power & Cooling Silencer line is considered Tier 1 (ie. the best of the best) in the PSU area. You may see some called OCZ Silencer 750 / 610, but it's the same thing. OCZ recently bought them out, and it seems kind of random as to what they're named.
February 5, 2008 3:00:52 PM

A quick note about xp pro, it is probably the best (for ms anyway) os as far as security goes. I know plenty of it guys systems admins etc that swear by it.

If you have any concerns about security I would consider that.
February 5, 2008 3:09:46 PM

Some items to consider: 250gb -OS, 500gb-games, data, video, etc. EVGA is a great video card. Samsung makes some of the best displays and this is one of them. The Artic Cooling Freezer Pro is very inexpensive, comes with a fan, so just in case you want to OC it can't hurt at that price. Also you may consider Antec 900 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case & CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX Power Supply.

Seagate Barracuda ST3250410AS 250GB 7200.10 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda ST3500320AS 500GB 7200.11 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 (DC 3000:1)
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Arctic silver 5 compound
Samsung SH-S203B SATA
February 5, 2008 3:13:08 PM

Oh just as a heads-up... support for Microsoft XP will end somewhat soon so take that into consideration as far as loading too many apps and stuff. I heard that SP1 will be coming out soon for Vista and at that time I'm sure all of us that had reservations about going to Vista may finally jump on the band-wagon.
February 5, 2008 3:14:04 PM

Thanks again for the feedback eveyrone. I am getting a pretty clear picture at this point of what I need. Keep the suggestions coming and I will try and get a revised build list togather and post that.
February 5, 2008 3:17:16 PM

Here's another mother-board to consider which has received many great reviews from numerous sites as well as great customer comments but depends on your usage (SLI, Crossfire, etc): Abit IP35 Pro mobo
February 5, 2008 3:22:46 PM

I think XP support was extended from 2009 to 2011. I'll try to find some evidence to back this claim up.
February 5, 2008 3:27:01 PM

I think you are right rgeist554, but if Vista SP1 really stabalizes that OS wouldn't you go with it and recommend it???
February 5, 2008 3:33:59 PM

From what I've been hearing lately, evil empire (ms) is pretty much writing off vista and focusing on getting users ready for windows 7.

Various articles I've seen in the last 3 weeks support this, along with the news that service pack 3 for xp not only fixes a lot of issues but as a bonus has shown to increase performance (granted, office applications mostly) by 10-20 %.

Of course its speculation right now but I am scared to migrate to vista and I feel xp will be supported for awhile to come. I wonder how long vista will be supported...

Would love to see evidence of continued support of xp!
February 5, 2008 3:36:33 PM

I don't see much wrong with Vista currently, I just don't see what it has to offer. There really isn't anything new... the indexing service kills your HD for a day or so... the prefetcher and other services cause an idle of 700-900MB of page file usage... for what?

If they can eliminate silly stuff like that, I'd swap over in an instant. :p  I really do want to swap over to play Alan Awake (Vista exclusive title :(  ), but I need to see a better optimization effort from MS.

*edit* This is another reason I find it hard to recommend Vista:
Quote:
From what I've been hearing lately, evil empire (ms) is pretty much writing off vista and focusing on getting users ready for windows 7.
MS seems to be planning on doing OS releases every 1 1/2-2 years... if this is case, they need to cut the OS cost in half and release more solid, stable systems. If the hardware requirements for Windows 7 are anything like Vista... you'll need 4-8GB of RAM , 30GB of HDD space, and a dedicated 8800GT just to run your desktop graphics. >_<
February 5, 2008 3:36:48 PM

mlaporta-
I agree that if the service pack was that good it would make vista more appealing, dx10 and all that. For future gaming I suppose.

But should we reward ms for putting out faulty software?
February 5, 2008 3:40:11 PM

rgeist554 said:
I think XP support was extended from 2009 to 2011. I'll try to find some evidence to back this claim up.

This might be harder than you expect, I keep reading contradictory info. The one I tend to believe most these days is that free updates will still be happening until April 2009, and after that you can buy "extended support" if you want to spend money for it. I'm sure Microsoft will get some pressure to change this, if it's true.

February 5, 2008 3:40:29 PM

hmm. Have not heard about those particular services issues. Now I'm really scared!
February 5, 2008 3:41:49 PM

buying "extended support" has the ring of truth to it. Sounds like ms
February 5, 2008 3:43:54 PM

engrdean said:
I had heard about the "step up" option, but hadn't heard who exactly offered it. Good information once again, thanks.

eVGA. It's not as great as you'd think. For example let's say you spend $400 at newegg and 3 months later the 8800GTS G92 shows up at $300 and is better than what you have. You don't get your $100 difference back, you pay to ship your old card, you pay to get the new card shipped, you spend a couple of weeks without a card. Still, some people have used this step-up program and are happy. It depends a lot on what they bought, for what price, when, what card they got in exchange, etc.

February 5, 2008 3:44:15 PM

Ah, there will probably be multiple tiers of support. Just you wait... >_<

"Extended Home Basic Support"

"Extended 'Pro' Support"

"Extended 'Ultimate' Support"
February 5, 2008 3:47:49 PM

well, I guess this isn't the place for an os debate.
One more thought, I have that exact acer 22inch monitor. It is easily the most beautiful monitor I have ever owned and its hard to describe just how much bigger it is over the similar 19in acer I had previously. As an owner I can tell you I am very satisfied and would definitely buy again.

unless height adjustment is a big concern I would highly recommend.
February 5, 2008 3:48:28 PM

I have to say I tend to agree with rgeist on this one. Even if they do eventually stabilize Vista, why bother switching from XP? Other than DX10 and being a little prettier, I just don't see the benefits. I don't have a lot of security issues, but if I did, I probably wouldn't be looking to Vista or any other Windows product for a solution. Maybe I am a little jaded when it comes to Windows security. I also wonder, if the masses continue to be as tilted against Vista as they are now, will XP support really dissappear if everyone is still using it? Maybe it will, I don't know. But I would like to think that hardware and software manufacturers would be willing to listen to the customer and support XP, even if Microsoft does try to bully everyone into using Vista.
February 5, 2008 3:51:49 PM

hahaha

how many flavors of 7 do you think we'll have?

home
home basic
home pro basic
home pro ultimate
pro
pro semi ultimate
pro enterprise starship basic...
February 5, 2008 3:52:45 PM

aevm - I wondered about the delay between cards. I don't think I would be willing to wait long for the turnaround, so the step-up may not be right for me. Looks like I will probably let the price decide.

buzznut - hope my last comment didn't aggravate the OS issue too much. I am glad to hear some positive feedback on the monitor, I will definately go with that one if I can save a $100 and still have the necessary quality.
February 5, 2008 3:54:14 PM

yeah I think you nailed that one engrdean!
February 5, 2008 3:59:44 PM

step-up sounds like a great idea, but in practice it may be as big a pain as he mentioned. I was contemplating doing that with a 7600gt, getting another and sli then send one back while waiting for the step up 8800gt.

In the end, I just bought a new evga 8800gt, simply because at 250 shipped it was the best deal at the time. And I like evga. And I couldn't wait!!!
February 5, 2008 4:01:22 PM

All that crap about M$ dropping support for XP is just an attempt to get people to buy Vista. Since when have you needed (or gotten) support form M$?

Long Live XP. Vista sucks (up hardware resources).
February 5, 2008 4:17:17 PM

buzznut said:
well, I guess this isn't the place for an os debate.
One more thought, I have that exact acer 22inch monitor. It is easily the most beautiful monitor I have ever owned and its hard to describe just how much bigger it is over the similar 19in acer I had previously. As an owner I can tell you I am very satisfied and would definitely buy again.

unless height adjustment is a big concern I would highly recommend.

I would seriously look at this monitor... compare the two including reviews on both and make an informed decision. Remember one-persons-junk-is-another-persons-treasure but the reverse is also true :) 

SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 (DC 3000:1)
February 5, 2008 4:24:48 PM

mlaporta, that was the other monitor I was considering. I will go back and reread the reviews again. It may end up being whichever fits the budget after I recalculate my costs. Thanks again.
February 5, 2008 5:28:25 PM

Quote:
I've got the 226BW's big brother, the 245BW... It is by far the best monitor I've ever owned. There are tons of adjustments, great software bundled for profiles (ex. movie mode, gaming mode, picture mode, etc), color and brightness are fantastic, and it's just awesome all around. Just my $0.02. :D 

Quote:
mlaporta, that was the other monitor I was considering. I will go back and reread the reviews again. It may end up being whichever fits the budget after I recalculate my costs. Thanks again.
That may be the best way to go about it.
February 5, 2008 6:03:27 PM

I want to comment on rgeist554... your very helpful and really provide people with some top-notch, well researched information. You really are a much-needed (and much appreciated) person on these forums.
February 5, 2008 6:06:36 PM

Quote:
I want to comment on rgeist554... your very helpful and really provide people with some top-notch, well researched information. You really are a much-needed (and much appreciated) person on these forums.
That's the nicest thing anyones said to me on these forums. Thank you. :D 
February 5, 2008 6:24:10 PM

buzznut said:
hahaha

how many flavors of 7 do you think we'll have?

home
home basic
home pro basic
home pro ultimate
pro
pro semi ultimate
pro enterprise starship basic...

I admit.. I LoL'd at this.
February 5, 2008 7:59:27 PM

I just got that Acer monitor from Newegg. Absolutely gorgeous, and no dead pixels. I also did not have the instability problem that some reviews there noted (but some Newegg reviews are funny to read, because you can tell what the drone did wrong right away).
It's a little bright, but adjustment will take care of that. And yes, it comes with a DVI cable.
February 5, 2008 8:13:38 PM

Should I be concerned with trying to get a motherboard with PCI-Express x16 2.0 slots, or is the previous version (1.1 I think) sufficient?
February 5, 2008 8:20:13 PM

rgeist554 said:
Quote:
XFX and EVGA are my personal favorites. They've both got lifetime warranties for people in the US and offer bonuses. XFX allows for overclocking and modding of the stock HSF, while EVGA lets you "step up". That means you can upgrade to a better card within 90 days of the original purchase.

Quote:
From what I heard, the C2D's are very OC'er friendly and that stock cooling can handle moderate overclocks while keeping everything cool.

OK, that's the second time this week I've heard that XFX allows for overclocking. Can you back that up with a link or something? I haven't been able to find anything on their website. It's just that I'm considering buying an XFX card because of the double lifetime warranty, but I really want to be allowed to overclock as well. Thanks mate!

And btw the Core 2s overclock like no other :D 
February 5, 2008 8:32:06 PM

XFX site:
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/showWarranty.jspa?r...
Quote:
Here’s the deal: We will repair and service your 6, 7, and 8 Series Graphics Card for as long
as you live. Even for those of you who know how to push our cards to the limits, if anything goes wrong, we’ll service it free of charge. All you have to do is register the card with us online. If you ever decide to sell or give the card away to someone, we’ll still honor the protection plan for the second owner as well. They just need to register the card with us. You get the protection AND the added value of being able to pass along a full warranty.

The legal information makes it sound a little different though.
February 5, 2008 8:41:51 PM

when checking out my alternatives now that I have ruled out SLI and RAID setups, I came across this board:

GIGABYTE GA-X38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

which is why I asked above about whether PCI Express x16 2.0 is worth the investment at this point. Its a fairly new board from the looks of things, so that makes me a bit nervous, but it seems to have recieved excellent reviews so far.

I think I have it narrowed down to either this or the ABIT IP35 Pro that everyone seems to suggest.

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any thoughts?
February 5, 2008 9:01:38 PM

rgeist554 said:
XFX site:
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/showWarranty.jspa?r...
Quote:
Here’s the deal: We will repair and service your 6, 7, and 8 Series Graphics Card for as long
as you live. Even for those of you who know how to push our cards to the limits, if anything goes wrong, we’ll service it free of charge. All you have to do is register the card with us online. If you ever decide to sell or give the card away to someone, we’ll still honor the protection plan for the second owner as well. They just need to register the card with us. You get the protection AND the added value of being able to pass along a full warranty.

The legal information makes it sound a little different though.

Thanks for finding that, it makes me feel a lot better about buying XFX over Evga. XFX 8800GTS 512 here I come! :D 
February 5, 2008 9:52:41 PM

Consider the "E" versions of the ASUS board,same bang less $$$.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!