Can't access my data

gswart569

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hello

My windows XP crached, I tried a repair install, no luck. Now I want to format and reinstall windows, but first I want to backup my data. I can access the hard drive when I install it in another pc, but in the "documents and settings" folder, when I try to open my profile folder, it says "Access is denied".

What can I do to get my data off before I format?

The computer you have it in now must take ownership of the folder.

In Windows Explorer, right-click your "documents and Settings" folder, select properties
Click the security tab
Click "Everyone"
Click "Full Control"
Click "Apply" and be patient, this takes a minute or 2
Click "Advanced"
Click on "everyone"
Click the square dot that shows "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects"
Click "Apply" and again, be patient.
Click Ok
The new computer has full access to your documents and settings folder.

gswart569

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
The computer I gpt it in now is also an XP machine, and on the folder properties I only have three tabs: Genaral, Sharing, and Customize.

Bummer...

Ok, let's try this:

Right-click on the drive itself. This time look for "Sharing and security"
If it's there, do the same thing I said before, from here this time though, but now you'll have to be *Really* patient.

Patient, because you will be giving ownership of the entire drive to the new computer, or any other computer you put the drive into.

gswart569

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Still nothing. Maybe I should try install it on a win7 machine and do what you told me the first time? Will only be able to let you know on monday if that was a success. Thanx man

G

If you're using Windows XP Home, boot into Safe Mode and you'll see the Security tab.

gswart569

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Its an XP pro system.

But I installed the drive on a Win7 machine and did those steps, it worked, my data is safe lol. :lol:

Thanx guys!