ATI x1950 Pro Black Screen No BIOS

smithp77

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I have recently bought a x1950 Pro AGP card as I beleive this to be the best agp card at the mo. After inserting the card into the AGP slot and connecting it to the psu it boots fine. Then once all the drivers are installed it asks you to restart which is at that point the comp don't boot. All I get is a black screen (no signal) and won't even go into bios. I'm not sure whether it is my agp slot that's dodgy or whether it's the card or maybe a driver issue.

Please help

ASUS P5PE-VM m/board
P4 3.0GHZ
1.5GB Kingston RAM
700watt winpower psu
1x DVD/RW 20x
1x DVDROM

smithp77

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I read somewhere about needing 30amp on the 12volt rail. Could this be the problem and if so how would i check this ?

Did you uninstall the old video card drivers completely/reset to standard Windows VGA driver, before installing the the new 1950pro? Although you should be able to at least make it through POST regardless.
Without knowing the exact specs, I'd say your 700 watt power supply is plenty. What type of card are you replacing?

smithp77

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I had a Nvidia 7600 GS which I have uninstalled all drivers. This card worked fine but I got a white screen with black horizontal dashes then it did'nt work so got money back with warranty. I then bought the 700 watt PSU and the ATI card thinking everything would work fine but it don't. Could it be that I have a dodgy AGP slot ? Although it was fine with my old FX5500 card for months. Am stumped !!

Acadien42

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I too have a P4 3.0 Ghz and when I upgraded from a 6600GT to the x1950Pro had the same problem as you. I then got a much better power supply with lots of voltage on the right rails and havent had a problem since. I would double check to make sure your PSU has sufficient voltage...

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
http://www.xcase.co.uk/p/298090/winpower-700-watt-2468-sli-.html I found what I think his PSU might be, there isn't any specs listed, so I can't be for certain and I can' find the MFG's website. Pretty much what you are looking for on the PSU is the combined +12v amps.

I wouldn't see why a PSU rated for SLI wouldn't be able to power the card, but you never know, some times these MFG's put out crap power supplies with claims that they can't support.

Either way, if your card was drawing too much power, the FX5500 would relieve that, so it should post with it. If it doesn't still, it probably isn't your video card that's the issue. I'm kind of ruling on the PSU, because I've never seen such a brand before, but then again, I don't live in Europe.

smithp77

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
the psu states that it has independant 12v rails meeting UL240VA safety requirements. It also has a connector for a pci-e so don't know if it gives 30amp on the 12v rail

smithp77

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
All connections appear to be fine, however i do have a floppy drive attached which has the light on but don't work. Would'nt have thought this woult affect it though. Am gonna have to buy a new psu i guess, any suggestions

smithp77

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
My old card works so looks like its the psu. Have found a cheap replacement which is Colors 600W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply.

Any ideas what this psu is like ?

harry_callahan

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006

IF you have a floppy drive that has light on continuously, this means the data cable is reversed. Flip it around and the light should go out and start working.

smithp77

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Cheers Harry. I have checked my psu and there are 2 12V rails one reads 15A max and the other 19A max so I should have sufficent power. I have tried everything I can think of now and am at a loss. I am reluctant to sell the card so would be grateful for any advice.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
How old is your Mobo. I'm using a relatively "old" Asus A8V Deluxe. I've found that due to the length and weight of these "newer" AGP cards, that there are times when it will not remain seated correctly. I'd be playing fine then get a high pitched squeal that's low volume from the vid card. I'd then freeze up. To remedy this I'd power down, reseat the card and try again. It usually works fine after that. In addition I've stopped using DVI adapater and used the use the closest port to the mobo to lessen torque on the vid socket. Hope this helps.

Might be your older mobo.

Da Worfster

smithp77

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
My monitor is a Viewsonic VA1703WB, would this be the cause of the problem and is there settings that i would need to change ? This monitor only has a VGA socket and the card is DVI only so maybe I'm clutching at straws now.

TRENDING THREADS