Change Multiplier

umeshnk

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Hi,

I'm using an E6550 on a ASUS P5k Mobo. My question is, since the Mobo allows me to change the CPU multiplier, is it OK to increase it? for example from 333x7=2333 to 333x8=2666. Please note that I'm new to overclocking. I have done some experiments with FSB and want to know if this method is possible too..

Thanks.

Only the extreme versions of CPUs are unlocked allowing you to increase the multiplier above the "normal" setting.

Extreme Dual Cores starts with an X such as the X6800.
Extreme Quad Cores are designated QX such as the QX6850.

The only thing you can do with the E6550 is increase the FSB; basically the core frequency.

umeshnk

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks..Mobo only allows 6 and 7. I learned that multiplier is hard wired to the CPU. But I'm just asking before doing further study... How does extreme editions do that..Resources welcome..

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
One of the most important things with picking a cpu for overclocking you need to find one that has a high multiplier. For example the e6700 is better than the e6750 in overclocking because of the higher multiplier. You can find a list of processors and their respective multipliers. If you run your frontside bus too high it may actually negate the effects of an overclock because it stresses the northbridge too much. With a higher multiplier you are able to get a nice overclock without stressing your northbridge too much.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Actually, the reason for the multi to slip downwards is for speed step to work.

When it's totally disabled (meaning both C1E/EIST is disabled), it will stay at the multi you select in the bios.

Edit:

I am referring to the non-extreme CPU's.