Help Choosing DDR2+3 mobo

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Hey,
I use to post here all the time. I planned out my next pc, well moreso upgrades, then throwing my old parts into a new case for my gf. I use to post here all the time and answer some n00bs questions etc. I had been paying attention and had a motherboard picked out but with e8400 availibilty dropping to non-existance had sort of forgotten. Now I just picked up a XEON 3110(e8400 essentially), and need a motherboard.

I have good psu/case 8800GT 2 gigs of ddr2 800, given this doesn't matter(and this is just what I'm throwing in new mobo for now).

What matters is what I need.(*edited*)

I only need 1 PCIX16 slot.( I will NEVER SLI/Crossfire ).
Wireless would be cool(unneccessary and only willing to pay max $5-10 more for it).
I just decided only DDR2, possibly upgrading to high end DDR2 if prices stay low/fall more on higher end.
Unless anyone sees DDR3 as useful within the next 12-18 months.

As I mentioned above I haven't checked in a few months, and haven't seen any articles in awhile so going back and finding them is being a pain right now.

TIA!

*edit*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012
My old 965 mobo.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Haha, I love your response. Ok I really know what I'm doing. Had this Processor all the way to 3.2 GHz on air for awhile before I threw in another 2 GB of ram for 4x1GB. I know what I'm doing very well. I just don't know which motherboards are the best for the price currently and can't remember model numbers. I realize I'm an idiot though and that there aren't 4GB memory modules. For this reason Vista 64 bit under DDR3 isn't needed. I probably won't bother with DDR3 at all on this board. I'll just get 8 GB of fast DDr2 before prices rise again if I decide for 8gb and vista ultimate 64 later on. You didn't say much but you did make me realize this. Thanks! Someone helped already.

hesskia

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
There is no need for buying a motherboard now that will take both DDR2 and DDR3. Just spend you're money on on a cheap board that supports DDR2 and that CPU. Then when DDR3 drops in price (and DDR2 increases), and you decide that your CPU isn't "fast" enough anymore, pickup the DDR3, MB, and CPU in one shot.

Given what you're asking for, ASRock always has solutions to niche upgrade paths, and this board fits the bill:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157121

It doesn't list the Xeon as a supported, but it does run on the P35 chipset and 1600mhz FSB (through Overclocking). Includes WiFi and is only 129.99 at the Egg.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Good board.
I just don't know much about ASrock.
I suppose I'll look under ASrock area, are they an offshoot of ASUS?
I've had an ASUS Abit Appen and Gigabyte mobos.
Odd I've never bought the same brand twice and I've also never had a problem oddly enough. I guess I'm going to look for a review on this.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Hey thanks again. Yeah I've heard of them as you can tell I've done a lot of homework just late on mine currently. I did some searches. Nothing but good reviews ^_^. Even gives moderate OC'ing capability, a legacy IDE(wtf is that?) for my old 320 GB IDE HDD, although I was planning on putting it in another system. I guess if I wanted DDR3 it is still an option too. I figure I'll likely stick with XP anyway, until I'm forced to Vista and XP 64 bit to my knowledge is still left to be lacking(So sticking as far as addressing the memory addressing issue of 4 gb max which is only 3.5 gb if you consider my 512 video card.

Anywho, hitting buy on my cart. Pity NewEgg will get me my order way before my processor arrives. However the company I ordered my XEON 3110 had over 200 in stock when I ordered so I'm confident it'll get here.