Backing up boot drive

nazrious

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hi, :hello: I'm not sure if what I want to do is even possible.
I have 2 drives one is a 750GB seagate the other is a 1.5TB seagate.

I had the 750 in a RAID0 array which just suffered from the other drive being corrupted.

Now I don't really care about using RAID0 again as I noticed very little difference between it and my other system which just used 1 Hard Drive.

My main concern is backing up the OS, Drivers, Updates, and vital Programs on my boot drive the 750GB that survived the fiasco to my new 1.5TB drive. I was thinking of RAID1 but I don't really care about the data as this is only 1 home PC of 3 and it is used primarily for gaming thus it has very little if any really important info. outside of some Anime/ Manga and games I install on the system there isnt anything that can't be lost and replaced liek photos or work files.

So my Idea is this make the 750GB drive with 1 partition C: and D:.
C: will be about 50GB and store the OS and all my games and programs
D: will store all the other junk and my Anime/Manga

Then I make the 1.5TB drive also with one partition H: and F:
H: will be the mirror for C:
F:will be the mirror for D:

Then I will basically backup C: to H: after any major program installations or updates. The back up of D: to F: I would like to do about once a week or even every other week (not much of anything important to be lost).

So I am basically wondering a few things:

Is this possible?
If yes, How do I do it?
Are there any good sites of information I should visit?
About how long does it take to back up a drive with about 50GB of data?
What is the best program/tool out there for doing this?

thanks a lot in advance!

Ktaan

Distinguished
May 24, 2002

Personally I have done something similar to this:
Drive 1 (250gig)
Partition C: WINDOWS - 50gig
Partition D: WARCRAFT - 20gig
Partition E: STORAGE - 180gig

Drive 2 (250gig)
Partition F: BIGSTORE - 250gig

Each week I use Acronis to backup my WINDOWS partition to a compressed image file on F:
I also Image my WARCRAFT partition before every patch and to save my custom UI.

- About how long does it take to back up a drive with about 50GB of data?
Its surprisingly quick. My 50gig windows takes less than 20 mins, Acronis has several compression options, from none thru to maximum. I guess the main factor on backup speed is the speed of your HD's.

Are you sure that 50gig will be enough to "store the OS and all my games and programs" ?

I got OS, and program files on C:
My Documents, and Games on E: