Soun card and extra USB slot sharing IRQ, is that bad?

fleng

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Hi guys, in a pickle again.

Recently just fixed in a new Audigy Value sound card into an empty PCI slot. Also I have 4 extra USB 2.0 slots fixed up to a PCI slot above the sound card's slot.

Like after 2 weeks, I noticed some stuttering when I play my mp3, movies, and games and causes some lag issues. I've run Powerstrip and noticed that my Sound card and MSI usb are both using IRQ "18" . Could that be the reason of the stuttering and the in game lags?

Since my device manager can't change the IRQ for my Sound card (its greyed out), can I change my IRQ in BIOS? and what IRQ number should I change to?

Really new at this IRQs things, Thanks in advance.

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
The last several years you don't really have to worry about IRQ conflicts anymore as the system configures them automatically and some IRQs can be shared.

fleng

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Thanks for clearing it up :D much appreciated.

I dunno whats "stuttering" my sound card tho, cant change the PCI latency on that one either :(

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well.. for the studdering, it could be different causes involved. Not having the most updated drivers can cause studdering, not having enough physical memory (ram) can cause studdering, having too many things running in the back ground can also cause studdering.

I remember my dad got a UPS that had software for a USB plug-in. Boy did that cause allot of studdering, even on the window startup. :lol:

It can be an ongoing TS to figure out the exact cause, but sometime you can narrow it down to figure it out.

fleng

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007

Im searching for the latest driver for Audigy Value, hopefully that addresses the stutterings. Also my spec is

p4 2.8ghz Dual Core, MSI mobo, GeForce 7600gt
2.5gb RAM , 80gb HD , 320gb Secondary HD.
Audigy Value.

Thanks again Grimmy for the prompt and helpful reply!