Vista wireless trouble

jberardi31885

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I've recently put together a new system and decided i didnt want to snake a wire through 3 walls to get to my router. I have a Linksys WRT54GS router and have recently purchased the wireless adapter, Linksys WMP54G.
I've setup many wireless networks before but they were all on systems with XP or earlier operating systems. Even though I've never liked vista, i decided to to get the 64bit version to take advantage of my new hardware.

Since i installed the wireless card ive had nothing but trouble. At first i couldn't get it to connect at all. Then i took the PC into the room with my router and plugged it straight into the router. Vista connected to the wireless network, i unplugged the network cable, and the connection was fine. When i brought it back to my room and set it up again i had a decent connection for a few hours and as of now it's constantly disconnecting on me.

I'm confident that its not a signal range issue as the router is only 15ft away and nothing is in the way of it. I can see the router from where my PC is. Even Vista sees the connection as Excellent when i go to the list of connections.

Ive checked my firewall settings, Ive checked my network settings and, ive searched online for any information on the problem but i cant seem to fix it. I'm not an expert when it comes to networking but ive never had this much of a problem with a wireless network before. Any ideas would help.

G

As a first thought, just check that the router's wireless isn't set to automatic channel select -- or it may be flicking between channels depending on what's nearby.

Otherwise follow the usual routine and disable all wireless security until you get a reliable connection.

rkw

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I also have a very similar problem. My new HP laptop is loosing internet connection through wireless even though the wireless network access to the router is not interrupted. I have no problem with Win Xp or MacBook but only with vista

I plan to revisit this thread periodically since this appears to be a common issue.

RKW

TRENDING THREADS