Iomega eGo HD not detected on Windows 7

meaghanre

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I've had the iOmega HD for a little over a year now. I have been using it on my Windows 7 laptop for that same amount of time and I've never had a problem. I plugged it into today and it didn't register/wasn't detected by my computer. I read online that you can go to device manager and give the HD a new port, but it's not even showing up on there for me to reformat. When I plug it into my computer, it lights up and starts "buzzing" for lack of a better word, as if it's on and running fine. I even tried to plug it into another computer and it wasn't detected

That "buzzing" sound in a drive is almost never a good thing. Is this how it sounded before?

If the device is not detected in several computers, you are looking at a bad drive.

Couple of things to try, if the USB cord on the drive has only one end, you can try a USB cord with a secondary connection for power, sometimes these drives need a bit of a power boost to run normally, more than what one USB port can supply.

If that does not work, you can take out the drive out of the case and connected with another enclosure.