Most stable and best gaming performance? (Q6600&DDR2)

• GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DQ6

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • ASUS P5N-T Deluxe

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other - (Leave brand/model please)

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
X38 boards are far more stable and overclock better than the 780i especially with quads. 780i is a revised 680i and still suffers from some of the same issues although if you plan on SLI your best bet would be 780i or 790i.

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
:fou:

Definately not interested in DDR3 yet and I prefer stuff that has been out for at least a month or so. I'm not good enough with trouble shooting (this will be my first complete build) to fight with bleeding edge technologies.

I'll let someone else be the first to discover any conflicts and issues :pt1cable:

I am leaning towards the Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6. The only thing that puzzles me is that it is an ATI crossfire board, but apparently can run a single Geforce card just fine. Wouldn't that mean its been optimized just for ATI??

EDIT HERE:
I'm buying everything from Newegg in a package deal. I just checked and they dont even an have Asus maximus formula un-opened. They have the Striker II, but man- $330! :fou:

Some boards, IIRC have both DDR2 and DDR3 slots for those that are unwilling to wait for DDR3 prices to drop.....making room for the extra slots tho decreases the real estate for other goodies.

DDR3 is mainly "expensive" only in comparison to what DDR2 costs now.

$60-$190 / GB is not really a bad price historically. Just looked at a build I did for a friend back little over a year ago......$479 for 2 x 1 GB of CAS 3 Corsair Dominator Series.

Now it's $244 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145165

Corsair Dominators in DDR3 1800 are $464 today compared with the $479 DDR2 800 of a year ago
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145187

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

I've seen a couple of boards that can take both, but using you are bound at a max of 4GB of either type and I insist on using 8GB with no page file on Vista 64 (separate argument and thread lol).

In addition to the price, DDR3 @ 7-7-7-20 vs DDR2 @ 3-4-3-9 is a real turn off too! Those are the numbers of the sticks you posted. I don't understand enough to know exactly how they will affect the ram performance, but I do know lower is better.

Anyone have layman's terms for why the Gigabyte board can only run a single Geforce card but can run two ATI cards in crossfire? I can't find anything that explains it but I've seen several reviews where they are using a single Geforce card if I read them right.

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

I like the price, but Newegg only has one and its open box. Besides, it says it only supports Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium EE / Pentium.

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

Looks and sounds like a great board- but it seems to be a bit too specialized for my skill level. I can't find a single review on it at ANY of the usual sites including this one. I found lots of threads about it and most seem to love it, but I need to stay with a board that is much more mainstream so when I make a frantic post for help with something, I have a better chance of someone knowing what I'm working with.... $300+ shipped doesn't help either lol.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

^ I just let out that GOOOOO sound like when you see someone get a swift kick to the nads.

Hmm....layman's terms...Nvidia is greedy? No no...wait...Nvidia = jackholes?...hmm... [:mousemonkey:2]

Ah, I got it. Nvidia = Gollum......his precious = SLI license.

I love the toxic green-ness of the DFI boards.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006

It is a fairly common board (DFI LP series p35/x38/x48) depending on where you look. Over in the intel section at XS if you have any problems there are plenty of helpful people.http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59.

It is also a good place to look for info on what problems that may exist on any board you may consider There are post on most all boards there, just browse through the posts on any of thr boards and you will see that the DFI has the fewest of any listed there.

If the price is a concern the p35 variation of that board is $100 less http://www.motherboardpro.com/DFI-LanParty-LT-P35-T2R-Motherboard-Chipset-P35-Socket-775-p-369.html (which is the board I am using) but lacks pcie 2.0 and only has 1 x16 electrical slot altho it has 3 physical.

The main reason I picked this board was its 6 layer pcb and 8 phase power along with 3 usable pci slots even with a dual slot vid card, a combination that is more difficult to find than you would think.

As far as the complex bios it is, but it doesn't have to be unless you want to. On my 2nd boot of my 8400 I went and just set vcore to 1.25 vdim to 2.1 and fsb to 450 and set vdroop control to disable (which gives a load vcore a little higher than what is set in bios) rebooted and ran that way for a few weeks.

As I learn more about what various settings do I tweak as I go. Now I am leaving vcore at auto and using a feature called special add to adjust which allows c1e, eist and vdroop to function while running a decent OC and vcore setting on my cpu.
Here is an example of what that does.

456idle.PNG

456load.PNG

It is nice to leave vdroop on (it helps save the cpu from dangerous voltage spikes) and not have to have idle voltage way higher than needed.

All in all from all the boards I looked at when I bought, the LanParty UT and LT boards seemed to be the best fit even tho I was not going after any extreme overclocking. And I believe the old saying that you get what you pay for is true in this instance.

As far as support from forums you can get a lot of help from the threads at XS and DFI Club.

panicatak

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006

No it supports the 8xxx series, q6xxx and q9xxxx

I have my Q6600 at 3ghz with no voltage adjustments, it will do 3.6Ghz but I realy don't need that much power yet...

From a price performance point of view, I would recommend to you the Asus P5K.
As it officialy supports FSB1600, and is warrantied as so, it will let you overclock your Q6600 to 3.6GHz (potentially) with ease.

As for supporting your CPU.....
Any P965, P3x, P4x, 6X0i, 7X0i will support your Q6600.
Even if newegg does not specifically say so.

PCIe is a universal standard that will work with any manufactures video card, or peripheral for that matter.
That means that all of the MB's listed on this page will support an ATI card or a nVidia card.
The difference comes in when you want to use a multi card solution.

Currently, SLI will only work on nVidia based MB's.
This includes the nForce 4, 500, 600 and 700 series chipsets.
The only Intel based solution to support SLI is the uber expensive SkullTrail platform.

ATI on the other hand has a little more marketing sense.
They allow CrossFire to run on any of their MB's along with any Intel based MB with 2 or more PCIe 16x slots.

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
WoW.

Lots of good info guys, I appreciate, thank you.

Ancient_1, I'll look into the DFI boards a some more. If newegg had it, I'd be a lot more tempted. From what I read, the $100 difference is supposedly just a different cooling solution. The posts I mentioned were at the XS forums as well. That board seems to have its own following of DFI users lol. Thanks for all the info and the charts. You're right about the RMA issue, there doesnt seem to be many. That's part of what surprises me about it. They sound like awesome boards and most of the people that have them love them. Why aren't they more mainstream and why hasn't any reviewed them on the major sites? Doesn't make sense.

outlw6669, thanks for the explanation. I mostly kinda sorta a little bit maybe got a similar answer from SpincachEater in a round about gothic kind of way lol. Just not as detailed...

tjoepie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I would love the 790i and I would even pay the high price, but with the DDR3 ... phhh... I'm not sure anymore.
Maybe I will just get the X48 DDR 2 with an 9800GX2.
But I would miss SLI for future upgrades I think... its hard to choose ;-)

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

I really really debated the 9800GX2, but man- $600! I know that price will come down but I also know that as they refine the drivers NOTHING out there will be able to touch it for a while. Not going with an SLI mobo made that card look even better, but I'd have to downgrade other parts of my buy to cover the cost and in a year it will be old news I think.

I'm not impressed with the SLI anyway. I have two 7950GT's in SLI and there are a few times it helps, but until its 100% major improvement 100% of the time, it's just not worth it to me personally. Especially since I've come to enjoy dual monitors as of late.

Yes, lower is better at the same speed. DDR 800 and DDR 1800 tho ain't same speed. Boards with DDR3 are benchmarking a bit better than ones with DDR2.

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Thanks for all the input. The poll and my personal feelings made me get the Gigabyte. If Newegg carried the DFI Lan Party, I might have got it instead. I will seriously consider it as my an upgrade next year. Thanks for the heads up on that Anicent.

Here's what was in the cart when I hit the buy button. It should be here Weds to start building.

Vista 64-Bit
Nzxt Zero full tower
Silverstone single rail 650 PSU
Gigabyte GA-EX38-DSQ6 mobo
Intel Q6600 Quad CPU
OCZ Freeze Thermal Compound
COOLER MASTER 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler
8GB OCZ DDR2 1000 RAM
150GB Raptor 10K SATA HDD
OKGEAR HDD Cooler
eVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB GPU
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1