Laptop overheated, now clean and shutting down itself

JH32552

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Hello,
I have a 4 year old Toshiba L355 laptop. I am running Vista. Last week the laptop got so hot that it was almost too hot to touch and I shut it down. After several hours I restarted the laptop and it shut itself down after about 15 minutes. The next day I took it apart right down to the fan and heat sink and cleaned out a couple of cats. (lots of cat hair and dust!) The laptop is still shutting down by itself. Yesterday, it ran most of the day and I even burned 3 DVDs. Then after running almost all day, it shut itself down again, and when I tried to restart it, after about 2 minutes it shut down again. Now, when I say shut down, the screen goes almost black.. you can see that it still has some power, and the HD light stays on steadily. To completely shut it down I have to hit the power button and hold it for a few seconds, and then you can hear it shut down completely. I downloaded and ran FanSpeed (?) and the core temp doesn't go above 50C, but I still got some Arctic silver thermal compound and recompounded just to make sure any heat would be disapated by the heat sink easily. Tonight I booted up in safe mode and it even powered down or went comatose (whatever it is doing) with the safe mode.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to cure this? It was running so good before it heated up so badly, and it is as clean as new now, and still dying on me! HELP!

Thanks for any help!
Jackie

Replace thelaptop - If as hot as you say, mobo components damaged

JH32552

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009

This just makes no sense to me that the MOBO is fried. If it were so, why does it start right up at times and run for days at a time? The last time I used the laptop, it ran for three days nonstop. I burned 5 DVDs, and truly put the thing through it's paces. No problems. Then, the next day it only ran for several hours. Just makes no sense to me. :fou: