8800GTX problems

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
After 9 months of serving me loyally my GTX is finally starting to show problems. My computer freezes on one frame and doesn't move until I restart then when I restart I see artifacts all over the place and freezes after about 2 minutes of use. I updated the driver before it froze again. Check temps maxxed out at 70 while playing oblivion. Shouldn't been temp problems. No power problem TT Toughpower 750W. So any suggestion to what is wrong would be nice.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I just bought my 8800GTX last November and it runs just as cool (51C idle and 70C playing Crysis) as my last card, the 7800GTX. I also noticed that my overclock was a bit above what I expected to get 651MHz core, 1525MHz Shader and 2100MHz memory. I also experience sometimes when my PC loads to desktop it will show color corruptions in the same place everytime hardlocking my PC, the only thing I can do at this point is power off.

This doesn't happen often though, could be driver related or something completely different. Have you ever cleaned all that dust in your GPU cooler? I bet its caked with dust in there. Try this Burnin test 5.3 at www.passmark.com

I helped someone last month with some video corruption issues on 2D only and this Burnin Test 5.3 told him that his graphics card was having trouble processing 2D which is what he was saying while in BIOS also. Give it a try and let us know whats up.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I have seem with the 8800 GTX will overheat and then shut the video card down other then the fan in order to cool it down. The artifacting sounds like it is cause by heat issues. My 8800 GTX originally ran over 75c idle and over 100c at load. Now for what ever the reason (nothing has changed in the case) after installing newer drivers I idle around 49-55c and load at 80c.

I think your card is broken and or needs a better cooler on it. Might I ask what brand is it?