Sign in with
Your question

Ghost in the machine?

Last response: in Windows XP
July 3, 2010 10:38:55 PM

Hello again!,
Yep, it's me again... And at the risk of sounding more ignorant than I really am, I have to say that I'm in a place with this problem that I am without knowledge to fix. I am trying to get a HP Media Center M7434N back in functioning order after a catastrophic crash. The machine is that of a disabled friend, and I have taken the computer here to my home to try to fix it. I have the recovery disks, but every time I try to get the thing to boot, it just says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, PUT DISK IN DRIVE A AND PRESS ENTER". After staying up all night working on this, and with the help of the T.H. Forum, I have got myself to the point where I'm in BIOS and at a screen that says "Pheonix - Award BIOS CMOS Setup Utility". Under the title, there are 5 sub-categories: Main, Advanced, Power, Boot, and Exit. I have gone into the Boot area and enabled the Boot -time Diagnostic Screen. Under that, it says: > Boot Device Priority Now where to go from here? I'm sorry for my continuing troubles with this, but I'm really commited to helping my friend get his machine working again as it is his only connection with the outside world. Thank you so much in advance... Copperhead 1

P.S. This model has a king-hell removable media hard drive. Microsoft advises that it should be removed before doing the recovery process. I am wondering if the computer is sensing that when the Media Hard Drive is removed, that it's security is being tampered with, and then just shutting down the booting process? Just a thought... What do you think?

More about : ghost machine

Anonymous
July 3, 2010 10:56:39 PM

The optical drive should be first. Don't know anything about the Media Hard Drive.
m
l
July 3, 2010 11:46:13 PM

Hello from San Diego!
Thank you so much for repying to my question... Yes, I agree, but this model has 2 ports for disks. The top one is labled "LightScribe DVD Writer/CD Writer", the second is labled "DVD-ROM". But when I use either, the same message comes back: DISK BOOT ERROR, PUT DISK IN DRIVE A AND PRESS ENTER. I'm close, but can't get to the finish line... Please help if you can. Thank you Copperhead 1
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 4, 2010 12:10:12 AM

Did you try any other bootable CD? Does the light on the DVD drive flash when you try to boot from it?
m
l
July 4, 2010 12:26:13 AM

Good question??? I have 3 DVD's "DISK 1, DISK 2, and Recovery Tools....
They seem as useful as weft powder... I cannot figure out where the problem is , but maybe it has something to do with the fact that I don't know my way around BIOS...? Yep, that's probably it. But I'm stubborn as a mule and have the patience of Job. So I will find the answer... it may
m
l
July 4, 2010 4:01:39 AM

Copperhead 1 said:
Good question??? I have 3 DVD's "DISK 1, DISK 2, and Recovery Tools....
They seem as useful as weft powder... I cannot figure out where the problem is , but maybe it has something to do with the fact that I don't know my way around BIOS...? Yep, that's probably it. But I'm stubborn as a mule and have the patience of Job. So I will find the answer... it may

You have a private message.

m
l
July 4, 2010 4:21:33 AM

Yep, exercise... That's the ticket. I have been up for two days and two nights trying my best to help a disabled friend. I'm sorry that I don't understand all this, but I have no choice but to ask people who do know... I certainly do not want to sound absoulutley senseless, but at the same time I am having to take all kinds of advice which, so far, has been useless. Sooo, I'm pretty sure that exercise is not the answer... But thanx anyway.
m
l
July 4, 2010 7:12:36 AM

You apparently don't know how to retrieve your private messages here.

"Near" the top right side of this screen, there may be something that looks like this:

<< Show the Right Column

Click it. Everything will move over to the left a bit and a box will appear there that will tell you how many new messages you have. Read your messages, you now have at least two unread messages.

You can respond to those messages like you do here in the forum, except only the person that sent you the message will get/see your reply.

m
l
!