Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hmm, so if only high end Nehalems have integrated mem

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 26, 2008 10:33:53 PM

So what I am seeing from the info we have, the high end desktop Nehalem will have integrated mem controller, where as the mainstream and lowers will have a FSB?

Will we need to shell out over 1k for an integrated memory controller?

Thats rough
February 26, 2008 10:37:32 PM

Or just buy AMD when they get the Phenom's fixed at 45nm. Yes, I'm hopeful, but I can't see AMD being in the hole for more than a year. The 45nm Phenom may still not equal the high end Nehalem, but it might very well be bang for your buck for new games that support 4 cores like Supreme Commander and other apps that already support 4 cores. The 45nm Phenom might even overclock past it's expected 3.2 stock clock.
February 26, 2008 10:42:09 PM

yipsl said:
Or just buy AMD when they get the Phenom's fixed at 45nm. Yes, I'm hopeful, but I can't see AMD being in the hole for more than a year. The 45nm Phenom may still not equal the high end Nehalem, but it might very well be bang for your buck for new games that support 4 cores like Supreme Commander and other apps that already support 4 cores. The 45nm Phenom might even overclock past it's expected 3.2 stock clock.


When are these fixed 45nm phenom's going to come out?

Idk, I am just a little weary about AMD. I need a computer that I can upgrade and be able to max out games for 4 years (IE undergrad school).

You have peaked my interest though, what are these 45nm phenoms you speak of?
Related resources
February 26, 2008 10:53:11 PM

ben10218 said:
When are these fixed 45nm phenom's going to come out?

Idk, I am just a little weary about AMD. I need a computer that I can upgrade and be able to max out games for 4 years (IE undergrad school).

You have peaked my interest though, what are these 45nm phenoms you speak of?


The TLB errata fixed B3 65nm Phenoms will arrive in April. They will have a "50" designation: i.e. a Phenom 9600 will be B2 with errata, but a Phenom 9650 will be B3 errata free. There are some reports of a bad core in some Phenom's, and AMD acknowledges they will release triple core Phenom B2's to OEM's like Dell and Gateway first and then budget home builders next, but I would not get a B2 at any price other than a free gift (even then I'd be tempted to sell it).

Here are several articles on the 45nm Phenoms. All we know for sure is AMD is aiming for as early in the 2nd half of 2008 as soon after B3 65nm Phenoms as possible:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20080118151816...

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/05/...

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7316.html

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=232523

I'm tempted to go B3 65nm on one 690G board we have that supports it (the 690V does not have a bios ready), but for a new CrossfireX system with a 790 chipset board, I'll wait for 45nm Phenom. In fact, if AM3 is arriving in first quarter of 2009, I'll wait till then for motherboard future proofing.
a c 123 à CPUs
February 26, 2008 11:43:26 PM

ben10218 said:
So what I am seeing from the info we have, the high end desktop Nehalem will have integrated mem controller, where as the mainstream and lowers will have a FSB?

Will we need to shell out over 1k for an integrated memory controller?

Thats rough


This is for the uber low end Celeron typs CPUs. Anything mainstream and higher will have the IMC such as what system builders buy all the way up to enthusiasts. Even enthusiasts will have an advantage though. Where as low end to main stream will have dual channel DDR3 enthusiasts and the uber high end chips will have the option of tripple channel DDR3.

I doubt that a Nehalem with an IMC i.e. the lower end ones will cost $1k to start. Yes the EE edition will probably start around $1k-$1.2k but the lower end one will probably be priced like the current gen chips. Remember it will scale from 2-8 cores naitive.

And yes yipsl you are hopeful. We have no idea when the 45nm will come out and knowing AMDs recent record might be delayed. We cannot verify that 45nm Phenoms will clock as high as SOI already is reaching its limits @ 65nm thus 45nm may be a big streatch.

Not downing AMD just looking at the facts. We have no idea how SOI will take 45nm. It may end up having to be released at lower clock speeds thus less performance.

And the bad cors are not just what they will release to OEMs. It is also affecting some end users in the quad core Phenoms due to bad QA. I still hopw AMD replaces those who still have the defective Phenoms with a newer B3 when it hits or else that would just be bad.
February 26, 2008 11:59:54 PM

jimmysmitty said:
This is for the uber low end Celeron typs CPUs. Anything mainstream and higher will have the IMC such as what system builders buy all the way up to enthusiasts. Even enthusiasts will have an advantage though. Where as low end to main stream will have dual channel DDR3 enthusiasts and the uber high end chips will have the option of tripple channel DDR3.

I doubt that a Nehalem with an IMC i.e. the lower end ones will cost $1k to start. Yes the EE edition will probably start around $1k-$1.2k but the lower end one will probably be priced like the current gen chips. Remember it will scale from 2-8 cores naitive.

And yes yipsl you are hopeful. We have no idea when the 45nm will come out and knowing AMDs recent record might be delayed. We cannot verify that 45nm Phenoms will clock as high as SOI already is reaching its limits @ 65nm thus 45nm may be a big streatch.

Not downing AMD just looking at the facts. We have no idea how SOI will take 45nm. It may end up having to be released at lower clock speeds thus less performance.

And the bad cors are not just what they will release to OEMs. It is also affecting some end users in the quad core Phenoms due to bad QA. I still hopw AMD replaces those who still have the defective Phenoms with a newer B3 when it hits or else that would just be bad.


I hope your right, I really want a nehalem for my first years in college (college gaming ftw, ;-) )

Anyway, heres a question... if I am trying to build an absolute 'demon lord' (lol?) of a computer, do extreme editions benefit enough to make me want to buy one? I want a good overclocker, but I will only overclock as much as I don't lower the CPU/MOBO's lifetime to less then 4 years.

hmm, I just read (on wikipedia) that the higher end desktops (read: not mainstream) will feature 4.8 and 6.4 gigatransfer quick connect... is that the equivalent of 4.8ghz and 6.4ghz? if so... damn!
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2008 12:20:49 AM

The Phenom may not equal the high end Nehalem yipsl?

The Phenom DOESNT even equal Kentsfield. There is no chance it can = Nehalem. Intels new chip would have to be slower the core2 based chips out now.

AMD's Phenom is to compete with the core2 based quads. Which its doing right now. And should be doing even better once the B3s are out.

What ever CPU is due next from AMD is going to be made to compete against the Nehalems. In IMO it looks like they are going to have real hard time doing pulling that off. With all the problems AMD has had with k10 with was supposed to updated k8. The 90nm to 65nm transition. Now down to 45nm still on SOI. So a new architecture 45nm or smaller With AMD's 1st crack at H/K and all that good stuff is going to be heck of challenge. Especially with that fool hector running the show.

February 27, 2008 12:32:23 AM

It looks like any derivative of Nehalem will include IMC, from MP server, down to budget dual core / GPU heterogeneous core.

February 27, 2008 12:34:07 AM

yipsl said:
Or just buy AMD when they get the Phenom's fixed at 45nm. Yes, I'm hopeful, but I can't see AMD being in the hole for more than a year. The 45nm Phenom may still not equal the high end Nehalem, but it might very well be bang for your buck for new games that support 4 cores like Supreme Commander and other apps that already support 4 cores. The 45nm Phenom might even overclock past it's expected 3.2 stock clock.


Proof? And by that, I assume you know it means no AMDzone, no Sharikou, and no Charlie Demerjian.
February 27, 2008 12:41:44 AM

There is no proof needed.
They MIGHT clock past 3.2 Ghz and wash your dishes.

Since it's mostly a Die shrink, it will still be far slower per clock.
So the BE Phenom will need to OC will past 4.0Ghz to be competive with current Intel Quads.

Perhaps 5-6Ghz for the Nehalm which ships about the same time.
a c 123 à CPUs
February 27, 2008 1:23:28 AM

yomamafor1 said:
It looks like any derivative of Nehalem will include IMC, from MP server, down to budget dual core / GPU heterogeneous core.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/johnli0615/kaigai403_05l.gif


Ohhh thats new. The last info I got on Nehalem stated that the budget chips will still run on the 800/1066 FSB and no IMC. If so that means AMD is in for one uphill struggle.

Would you so kindly link the source for that? I wanna read up on it.
!