What is the best heatsink WITH fan...

for a Abit P35 Pro with E8400 (I plan to OC to 4ghz if possible to include 3-4 year life-span on rig).
58 answers Last reply
More about what heatsink
  1. well, if you mean a heatsink that comes premade with a fan on it (since all heatsinks need a fan) then probably the Zalman 9700 would be your best bet. Otherwise just get a Thermalright 120 UE with a scythe S-flex fan like everyone else. My temps with the TRUE 120 are 35C idle, 55C load. Zalman would likely be 5C higher depending on how well your chip overclocks.
  2. Essentially the best air cooling heatsink is the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. It doesn't come with a fan. You can use any 120mm with it. Yate Loon fans are inexpensive, but quiet and descent performance. Scythe makes excellent fans, but you pay for it.
  3. I use the Big Typhoon.. not saying whether or not it's the best.. but I like it. It's big and quiet.
  4. Best for the money in my opinion is still the Tuniq Tower 120. It can be had for $45 on average. $86 for the Thermalright Ultra 120 and a Scythe fan is a little much to be spending for a couple degree difference in temperature IMHO.
  5. zerotherm nirvana, installs pretty easy. no need to lap it because its actually flat. and it comes with a good fan. you need to take the MB out of the case to install it though
  6. It's just that these excellent coolers are just so dog-gone BIG, I would rather get a 3rd, 4th or 5th on a list of the top 10 if it was smaller.

    How about which one is the smallest cooler out there that provides the best temperatures (fan or no fan).

    p.s. Does the Tuniq Tower 120 come with a fan and as a "lol" I read a comment that when someone actually received the Tuniq they said "I hated my life for ordering it when I saw how HUGE it was". I laughed my butt off when I read that.
  7. Do you want quiet?
    Do you want max cooling?
    Is water a possibility?

    Need the answer to those to make an educated decision.
  8. mlaporta said:
    for a Abit P35 Pro with E8400 (I plan to OC to 4ghz if possible to include 3-4 year life-span on rig).



    No Water!

    Not too worried about it being quiet as long as it doesn't sound like a buzz-saw, dropped in a blender, thrown in the back of a Formula-One Car Racing onto a F-16 Fighter Jet breaking the Mach 1 sound barrier!

    Want to achieve 4ghz with the least sized cooler IF that is possible otherwise it's a TU-120
  9. A tuniq tower is fairly quiet and has adjustable fan speed. It comes with an included fan, but the heatsink is quite large. Large heatsink surface areas generally equate to better heat dissapation. You just have to have room for it. It does, however, have a very secure method of attachment to the motherboard.
  10. I was deciding between the Tuniq Tower or Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan but wanted to see what the smallest heatsink was that provided the most cooling, not neccesarily the same temperatures as the BEST such as these 2 but the smallest that had the best temperature savings.

    But as I stated if trying to achieve 4ghz states for me to take a certain path and that path is BIG\HUGE heatsinks then that is that.
  11. I believe the Ultra 120 is smaller, but I've never owned one... only a Tuniq. The price is what made the decision in my situation. $45 vs $86 was an easy call. Do you have an extremely small case or something? Why are you so concerned with size?
  12. The Tuniq Tower 120 led version that i have has a fan that slides out from the middle of it ....

    If it can cool my athlon 6400 it can probably cool a small nuclear reactor :)
  13. lol concerned with size?

    Hey now, size does matter
  14. mlaporta said:
    It's just that these excellent coolers are just so dog-gone BIG, I would rather get a 3rd, 4th or 5th on a list of the top 10 if it was smaller.

    How about which one is the smallest cooler out there that provides the best temperatures (fan or no fan).

    p.s. Does the Tuniq Tower 120 come with a fan and as a "lol" I read a comment that when someone actually received the Tuniq they said "I hated my life for ordering it when I saw how HUGE it was". I laughed my butt off when I read that.


    If you are concerned with size, get an Ultima 90.

    Besides it's more about the whole package and how you use it.
  15. So what is it to be "the size of the ship... or the motion in the ocean" :D

    Really I guess I shouldn't be, I am getting a Antec 900 case with Abit IP35 Pro mobo but I guess my imagination doesn't fit with reality, I just get this picture of the mobo mounted on the side and this big heat-sink hanging down and the law-of-gravity is playing tricks on my brain.

    http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2007/0701/borat_lebanon0109.jpg
  16. Most larger sinks have backing plates.

    My TRUE has been on for 3-4 months and I have had no problems with sagging.
  17. go here...
    http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

    I would go with Thermalright Ultra 120.. It wins on almost every site.
  18. grieve said:
    go here...
    http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

    I would go with Thermalright Ultra 120.. It wins on almost every site.


    Heh, so does triple SLI 8800Ultras. Price considerations have to be taken into account.
  19. TurdBurglar said:
    Heh, so does triple SLI 8800Ultras. Price considerations have to be taken into account.


    Yes let's use the analogy of a $2100 platform to compare heatsinks that are all under $100.

    As was said, did he say anything about price/performance?
  20. LOL, the Thermalright doesn't even come with a fan

    "What is the best heatsink WITH fan..."
  21. We can add a 120mm fan... which would in fact make it the best heatsink WITH fan. :)
  22. TurdBurglar said:
    LOL, the Thermalright doesn't even come with a fan

    "What is the best heatsink WITH fan..."


    Really? I had no idea.

    Zerotherm Nirvana.

    Oh.. or H20-120 or 220 Compact.
  23. cnumartyr said:
    Yes let's use the analogy of a $2100 platform to compare heatsinks that are all under $100.

    As was said, did he say anything about price/performance?



    No, it was an analogy used to illustrate how the most expensive and highest performing option doesn't offer the best performance per dollar in either case. That flew right over your head didn't it... The scale of the analogy is irrelevant. A Ferrari-Corvette analogy can be used to describe microwave performance to make a point. Total dollar amounts are irrelevant :pt1cable:
  24. Just my opinion fellas. I would get the Tuniq. The Thermalright is an excellent cooler if you are willing to pay for it. There you go. No reason to carry on the flame...
  25. TurdBurglar said:
    Just my opinion fellas. I would get the Tuniq. The Thermalright is an excellent cooler if you are willing to pay for it. There you go. No reason to carry on the flame...


    I can agree with that.

    Personally I would go for the Ultra (which I have) What’s a few bucks…
  26. OK.. This is my new answer.

    Thermalright Ultra 120
    http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

    With A

    NOCTUA NF-S12 SERIES
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page4.html#noctua


    **Granted the Thermalright does not come with this fan…
  27. IF the Tuniq is somewhat smaller and comes with a fan then I am in agreement. Also as far as people safe-quarding their investment, the difference between a $80 total-cost heatsink versus a $50 one should be totally irrelevent and should not be open for debate.

    If there are other factors (size, with-or-without fan, brackets, noise, etc) besides price, then you can make strong arguments towards a plethora of peripherals, but if you want the best cooling to achieve a certain speed or to enhance the life-span of an item... then get the best or highest rated.
  28. I would probably go with this:

    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan
  29. mlaporta said:
    I would probably go with this:

    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan


    You just gotta be different :)
  30. I would argue that any 45nm Intel CPU will last well beyond its useful life with the stock cooler, so the enhancing the life-span argument doesn't do much for me. Also, spending 36% of the total cost of a CPU on aftermarket cooling isn't something I would do personally. Finally, in reference to achieving a certain speed on account of the CPU cooler, the sad fact of the matter is that I can overclock an e6550 with a Cooler Master Hyper TX2 to within 100mhz of one with a Tuniq Tower, albeit with slightly higher temps, but still well within the "safe" threshold and far below the temps of the stock cooler. Performance per dollar is always the bottom line with me.
  31. I really wasn't trying to be it's just that they didn't ahve the "NOCTUA NF-S12" on newegg so I thought this one was the next-best-thing.
  32. Those Noctua fans are actually kinda hard to find, though they are very highly regarded. I looked into them on a build a month or so ago.
  33. I came to these conclusions when I was looking.

    Scythe Slipstream 800RPM almost dead silent http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185057
    40.17cfm airflow
    10.7dBa noise level

    Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM still very quiet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185058
    68.54cfm airflow
    24dBA noise level

    Airflow Chart http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2007/11/16053606413l.jpg
    Noise Level Chart http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2007/11/16053606758l.jpg
  34. TurdBurglar said:
    I would argue that any 45nm Intel CPU will last well beyond its useful life with the stock cooler, so the enhancing the life-span argument doesn't do much for me. Also, spending 36% of the total cost of a CPU on aftermarket cooling isn't something I would do personally. Finally, in reference to achieving a certain speed on account of the CPU cooler, the sad fact of the matter is that I can overclock an e6550 with a Cooler Master Hyper TX2 to within 100mhz of one with a Tuniq Tower, albeit with slightly higher temps, but still well within the "safe" threshold and far below the temps of the stock cooler. Performance per dollar is always the bottom line with me.


    It would seem to me that anything that is ran "cooler" should in theory last longer, so a stock heatsink versus an after-market one that allows it to run cooler should by all accounts increase the life-span.

    Heck no... I don't want to spend a red .01 cent on anything extra "unless" there is a benefit, and if achieving a higher speed or not necessarily being "able" to achieve it but being able to maintain it running at a cooler temperature is achieved spending $$$ :cry: then I "bite-the-wallet" (or is that bullet) and just do it.

    I will whole-heartedly agree on "performance per dollar".
  35. Thanks Turd for taking the time to look all that info up, it is much appreciated. What do you think of the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan???
  36. TR120 Extreme!!!

    S-Flex is a good quality quiet fan...many people use it on the 120 so it must be good :D
  37. No big deal. Just info I've collected when looking for myself. Not claiming to be an expert. The S-Flex SFF21F seems to move a lot of air, but it looks a little noisy for my tastes. The airflow to noise level ratios of the slipstreams I listed look a lot more attractive to me. The price of the Slipstreams are around the $13-15 mark compared to the $30 of the S-Flex as well, which sealed the deal for me. Good luck.
  38. The -best- air cooler is a Thermalright...you need a fan.
    With the right case and HS/Case fans it cools as well as a non-chilled H2O cooler.

    The -best with a fan- is the Zerotherm Nirvana Premium...got one from Newegg last week with an email discount code for $39 USD.
    Comes with Intel/AMD2 mounts and can be rotated to blow the hot air in the dirrection you want.
  39. Where do you get your prices????

    Thats really expensive for those fans. I see the Slipstream for $8 and the S-flex for $13
  40. I only use the Silverstone FM-121 (not the FN-121) with free speed controlers (800-2400 RPM and 110qfpm at full speed).
    Newegg has them for $14 USD but I have found them online for $11 USD.

    I also always remove the exit fan grill on a case for unrestricted airflow.
  41. Silverion77 said:
    Where do you get your prices????

    Thats really expensive for those fans. I see the Slipstream for $8 and the S-flex for $13


    S-Flex SFF21F
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006&Tpk=Scythe%2bS-Flex%2bSFF21F
    $25+5 shipping

    Slipstream
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185058
    $9+5 shipping
  42. I only use the Silverstone FM-121 (not the FN-121) with free speed controlers (800-2400 RPM and 110qfpm at full speed).
    Newegg has them for $14 USD but I have found them online for $11 USD.

    I also always remove the exit fan grill on a case for unrestricted airflow.
  43. ^^ double post much??
  44. Which direction is the best to blow the air???
  45. Some say to push the air is the best...others say pulling the air through is better. I say try both and see which gives better temps
  46. Silverion77 said:


    Wow, I'll have to keep them in mind. $10 cheaper (after shipping) on that S-Flex is a lot on a fan purchase. I try to stick to the more trusted mainstream retailers when possible.
  47. Many say they are good to order from. That and Petras Tech Shop is good
  48. After much research I have discovered that this is the fan required...

    http://www.firefansystems.com/images/firefan6.jpg
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Heatsinks Fan Systems Product