motherboard or cpu bad which one

defleg

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Can someone please help me with this problem
I built this system about 3weeks ago and I invited some friends over to play neverwinter nights
we changed the resolution and video options to test the new videocard, worked fine (did not overclock).
The next day when i tried to put it back on the monitor & keyboard does not come on & i don't hear the bios beep
everything else seems to run

monitor & keyboard works on my other computer
hard drive works, i plugged it on my external hd adapter onto the next pc
i even tried the psu on my other pc, works fine

To get it back on I've tried:
switching ram sticks
using one ram stick
using no ram
reset the cmos
checked if cpu is seated properly

this is my system

CASE - logisys acylic case
MONITOR - AOC 19" LCD widescreen
MOTHERBOARD - asus m3a
POWER SUPPLY - e-power EP-520XP-C1B
PROCESSOR - amd athlon 64 X2 6400+ black edition
PROCESSOR FAN - cooler master x dream
VIDEO CARD - e-evga 8800GT superclocked edition
HARD DRIVE - western digital 250GB SATA
RAM - consair dual channel 2x1GB DDR2 800MHZ
DVD BURNER - samsung 20X
KEYBOARD - a cheap benq one
MOUSE - a cheap logitech one
EXTRAS - vantec pci fan card

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Take the mobo out of the case, and check everything as if your building the system again. Then try running it on a cardboard box, without the PCI fad card and DVD burner connected.

BTW do you have speakers connected?

Lostamarble

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
i have a similar problem. i cant get my operating system to load and i am not even able to get into my bio. i tried psu on other comp, moved around ram modules, used video card on other comp all works fine.
when i press the power button all the lights and fans work the psu works the video card works but still nothing on the screen not even the bootup table it shows.

my setup is
asrock 939dual vista ddr400mb
athlon64 4000
x1600xge 512 card
2mb ddr400 kingston ram
600w powork ps

i have tried numerous boards with no solution so if anyone has opinions please share.

thanks

marzzes

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Had something like that on my old 939 mobo, don’t know why but the only way it would boot is if I had the monitor disconnected, then after boot plug it back up.

Lostamarble

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
can anyone recommened any on expensive programs that will show me step by step oj how to perfectly connect a cpu its thermal grease
i am collecting charts that show what i just ask for

Lostamarble

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
i took everything apart and when i got to the cpu fan i noticed how easily it came off. could it be the grease which was in there 1 year again is bad and no heat was being taken off the cpu?

defleg

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
To answer goldragon i did someone like that, i did a barebone test with jus the video card, cpu, mobo, psu in there last night and na da but i'm willing to try your idea. btw the fan card is powered by a legacy 4-pin connector only.

OH I did forget to mention my speakers i have a set of logitech r-20 2.1

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Lostamarble, some of the cheaper paste have been known to dry up and might insulate the possessor. defleg, try a barebone test on cardboard, if you still get the problem then the problem is usually the mobo, RAM, CPU, or PSU. Try testing the RAM like you did earlier, and try another PSU if you have one.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
It could be something as simple as the monitor you currently have connected not supporting the resolution that you changed to for the monitor you were using.

I may have misunderstood your post though.

defleg

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
I was thinking that same thing boonality,
but the monitor is working perfect on my old computer & i reset the cmos
which should clear all settings & still no change.
It can't be the ram because i took them out and i got no warning beeps(which should happen when the mobo has no ram).

I've did so many questionable things with my old pc, repaired it so many times
but this problem never happened before, to me or anyone i know.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
If the monitor was giving you a problem then you would at least see the POST screen before the mobo would try to call the OS, since you don't install drivers for the monitor in your BIOS and you can't change your res in the BIOS.

defleg

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Thanks for all the advice, after trying everyone's ideas i went by a friend and switched his cpu, videocard and ram with mines in his PC, everything worked fine.
As i said before i had my hard drive working externally and i did try the power supply on my older computer, SO it seems to be the MB. My friend is a electronic expert so he's going to check for blown capacitors, I'm moving on to another brand AM2+ MB, I'm thinking biostar A770,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138106

any owner reviews will be appreciated.