Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unable to register winXP

Last response: in Windows XP
July 4, 2010 2:51:52 AM

so i just installed windows XP after getting a new hard drive and mother board. It wont let me register it. When i boot up and go to my desktop a few seconds later it say you have 30 days to activate windows. so i click on it and it asks if i want to register windows over the internet, so i click next, then it asks if i want to register with microsoft or something like that so i clink no. then it says "checking for connectivity" and then it says "you were unable to connect to the server" or something like that "Please make sure you are able to connect to the internet". Im able to use fire fox and google crome...

can some please help me?

Thanks,
Matt

More about : unable register winxp

July 4, 2010 3:28:58 AM

Have you Connected to internet in the system, which you want to register??
You must need an internet connection to register & Activate Windows.

Best solution

July 4, 2010 6:21:03 AM

matt_mu said:
so i just installed windows XP after getting a new hard drive and mother board. It wont let me register it. When i boot up and go to my desktop a few seconds later it say you have 30 days to activate windows. so i click on it and it asks if i want to register windows over the internet, so i click next, then it asks if i want to register with microsoft or something like that so i clink no. then it says "checking for connectivity" and then it says "you were unable to connect to the server" or something like that "Please make sure you are able to connect to the internet". Im able to use fire fox and google crome...

can some please help me?

Thanks,
Matt

The most likely answer here is that your using a royalty OEM like dell or HP and when you reinstalled you used the key on the COA sticker. These keys work fine, but you cannot use online activation with them anymore. You must call the activation phone number.

If your not using a big OEM, then please provide more info on your editon of windows and the system it is installed on.
Related resources
July 4, 2010 6:40:14 AM

If you haven't installed your internet connection, you can't activate over the internet. You must install your connection first.
July 4, 2010 7:51:05 AM

aford10 said:
If you haven't installed your internet connection, you can't activate over the internet. You must install your connection first.

He already mentioned that he has an internet connection. I'm still betting on the OEM COA license.
July 4, 2010 9:52:05 AM

Yep, I missed that. If FF and Google Chrome can surf the web, than your connection isn't the problem.
July 4, 2010 1:24:32 PM

FALC0N said:
The most likely answer here is that your using a royalty OEM like dell or HP and when you reinstalled you used the key on the COA sticker. These keys work fine, but you cannot use online activation with them anymore. You must call the activation phone number.

If your not using a big OEM, then please provide more info on your editon of windows and the system it is installed on.

you are correct so I'll try it over the phone and see if it will work

thanks
July 4, 2010 7:29:55 PM

matt_mu said:
you are correct so I'll try it over the phone and see if it will work

thanks

Thats definitely the problem then. Microsoft disabled online activation for the COA keys back in 2005. It will activate over the phone.

What brand of computer is it?
July 4, 2010 8:46:40 PM

Dell
July 4, 2010 9:36:40 PM

matt_mu said:
Dell

It should have come with a dell OEM disk. And it should have automatically activated using SLP. Did you use a different disk?

EDIT: Never mind. I just noticed you replaced your motherboard. Therefore no SLIC bios table. That's why SLP didn't activate it.
July 5, 2010 3:44:35 AM

It all worked out!

Thanks guys
July 5, 2010 6:00:23 AM

matt_mu said:
It all worked out!

Thanks guys

Your welcome.
July 12, 2010 12:02:39 AM

Best answer selected by Matt_mu.
!