Loud irritating noise of Southbridge fan MSI 875p

Matt68

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Hello,

An annoying sound comes from my mainboard. After investigation it turns out it is the fan on the Southbridge (where all the flashy lights come from)

I have tried to clean it, but no luck. In the best case a humming sound comes of it and it's rather loud.

From what I've seen I can disconnect the power cable connected to the Southbridge, but would this be wise to do and if not, does anyone know how to solve this?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Matt

Edit: Oops wrong thread, what brand/model is your motherboard?

Matt68

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Sorry, was a little bit too hasty. Just read this:

they are sometimes loud by design (i have seen some with 6000RPM fans there), or the fan could just be dieing, i would recommend you just replace the fan, something like this fan should be good, do NOT just unplug the fan, its there for a reason, and you stand a good chance of breaking something if the fan is off (and a lot of motherboards will just refuse to boot if you unplug the fan)

Now I'm confused, does the fan have a real purpose or not? My case is always open, so I don't think ventilation is the issue here :)

Matt68

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
@ apache_lives: it is a MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R mainboard with Intel Southbridge. Which apparantly needs a fan too cool it (?)

Ack i was right it was MSI and it is the northbridge, and its an 875 chipset, DITCH THE FAN, it will work without it aslong as (already said) theres plenty of ventilation (which btw with most *decent* cases, will perform better with the side on, to remove air), and the cpu fan unblocked (no dust blocking).

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1150580,00.asp - ASUS using the same chipset and passively cooled

MSI are a bunch of idiots and this is why i say that - stupid cheap little fan, gets noisy, or fails, useless.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I had an old P3 CPU fan laying around that I twist tied to the N-bridge when the same thing happended to my 875 based computer