Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent freezing and difficulty starting after turning off

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2008 6:33:43 PM

My home built computer consists of a core 2 duo E6600, Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 XMS, Asus P5NSLI motherboard, two WD Caviar SE WD1600JS in raid zero, EGA 7600GT KO 256MB video card, Lite-on DVD/CD rom drive and a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS 12V power supply in a Kingwin case running Windows XP Professional SP2 with all critical updates installed. I use a Samsung 19" LCD monitor. Everything is running at stock settings without overclocking, normal temperatures. I leave it always on. My problem is that I may come back to the computer sometime later, times will vary, the monitor is black, and the computer will not wake up without pushing reset. Additionally, if I shut it down for a few days, when I return it takes several attempts, each time pushing reset, to get it to boot XP and get up and running. The videocard is running NVidia's latest drivers. I upgraded to the latest Bios. I even tried re-installing Windows XP to no avail. At this point I am stumped. Is this a problem with the Asus motherboard?
Please help.
February 6, 2008 9:41:56 PM

Could try a different PSU. This is why I don't enable Sleep Mode, I no longer have the problem
February 6, 2008 10:17:28 PM

up the voltage on your memory. I had a similar problem where my computer would have troubles rebooting without several attemps. I went from 2.1V to 2.2V on memory and I was fine. You should double check what the stock voltage for your memory is and then punch that into the bios manually.
Related resources
February 7, 2008 11:18:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The PSU is new, so that's probably not the problem. Sleep mode is not enbled.
I'll try increasing the RAM voltage.
February 7, 2008 11:59:10 PM

plograsso said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The PSU is new, so that's probably not the problem. Sleep mode is not enbled.
I'll try increasing the RAM voltage.

Recently had to RMA a new PSU so if nothing else works, wouldn't hurt to try a different one
February 13, 2008 12:11:04 PM

The ram was running at 1.8v and I upped it to 1.9 (maximum recommended) with no resolution.
I don't have another PSU on hand to swap out. Speed Fan reads all voltages as normal.
Any other thoughts?
February 13, 2008 12:40:34 PM

Run memtest86 on your memory. If that dont do it try a different PSU. If both are fine you mobo is probably gettin ready to blow a capacitor.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2008 1:32:51 PM

I would look at the video card and monitor as the problem.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2008 1:33:25 PM

Try a different video card and monitor, if you can. That is if the computer light is still on after the screen goes black.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2008 1:58:30 PM

Remove and re-seat just about everything, especially RAM and drive cables.
You say sleep mode is not enabled, but also that the monitor is black. Sounds like there IS a sleep mode still turned on somewhere. Check Windows Power settings as well as the BIOS.
February 13, 2008 2:06:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.
!