Intermittent freezing and difficulty starting after turning off

My home built computer consists of a core 2 duo E6600, Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 XMS, Asus P5NSLI motherboard, two WD Caviar SE WD1600JS in raid zero, EGA 7600GT KO 256MB video card, Lite-on DVD/CD rom drive and a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS 12V power supply in a Kingwin case running Windows XP Professional SP2 with all critical updates installed. I use a Samsung 19" LCD monitor. Everything is running at stock settings without overclocking, normal temperatures. I leave it always on. My problem is that I may come back to the computer sometime later, times will vary, the monitor is black, and the computer will not wake up without pushing reset. Additionally, if I shut it down for a few days, when I return it takes several attempts, each time pushing reset, to get it to boot XP and get up and running. The videocard is running NVidia's latest drivers. I upgraded to the latest Bios. I even tried re-installing Windows XP to no avail. At this point I am stumped. Is this a problem with the Asus motherboard?
Please help.
10 answers Last reply
More about intermittent freezing difficulty starting turning
  1. Could try a different PSU. This is why I don't enable Sleep Mode, I no longer have the problem
  2. up the voltage on your memory. I had a similar problem where my computer would have troubles rebooting without several attemps. I went from 2.1V to 2.2V on memory and I was fine. You should double check what the stock voltage for your memory is and then punch that into the bios manually.
  3. Thanks for the suggestions. The PSU is new, so that's probably not the problem. Sleep mode is not enbled.
    I'll try increasing the RAM voltage.
  4. plograsso said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. The PSU is new, so that's probably not the problem. Sleep mode is not enbled.
    I'll try increasing the RAM voltage.

Recently had to RMA a new PSU so if nothing else works, wouldn't hurt to try a different one
  5. The ram was running at 1.8v and I upped it to 1.9 (maximum recommended) with no resolution.
    I don't have another PSU on hand to swap out. Speed Fan reads all voltages as normal.
    Any other thoughts?
  6. Run memtest86 on your memory. If that dont do it try a different PSU. If both are fine you mobo is probably gettin ready to blow a capacitor.
  7. I would look at the video card and monitor as the problem.
  8. Try a different video card and monitor, if you can. That is if the computer light is still on after the screen goes black.
  9. Remove and re-seat just about everything, especially RAM and drive cables.
    You say sleep mode is not enabled, but also that the monitor is black. Sounds like there IS a sleep mode still turned on somewhere. Check Windows Power settings as well as the BIOS.
  10. Thanks for the suggestions.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems