rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
720p is only 1280x720 (1080i is really about 1366x786 or something) and when you compare that to a full 1080p @ 1920x1080... you're really missing out on quite a few lines of resolution. That being said (and me seeing the differences personally), I suggest a 1080p set.

I think Roadrunner's set is pretty decent.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Most broadcasts are 720p with a few 1080i and I have yet to see one in 1080p. If you dont have a lot of 1080p channels available and dont use HD DVD or Blue ray then 720p is fine. My buddy has a 720p and you cant tell a difference until you use 1080 signals then you can tell a difference pretty easy.

ATM I am running 1360x768 on the computer, its the highest available from VGA input. I have a DVI to HDMI cable on the way so I can display full 1080 resolutions on my computer. I watched some HD 1080p trailers in this resolution and it blew my socks off. I cant wait to get full resolution.

zyberwoof

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
1080i = 1920 x 1080

It is the same as 1080p as far as resolution goes. The difference is interlaced vs. progressive. With interlaced, each video frame alternates between showing even and odd numbered rows of pixels at a time. With progressive, all 1080 lines are accurately updated each frame.

A 1366 x 786 monitor is not showing 1080 anything. It is taking a 1080 signal and downsizing it to the screen's native resolution. Essentially, it is showing just slightly above 720p.

I've got to buy a 37" TV soon too. I think I'm going to get this one:

Sharp AQUOS LC37D62U
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product...=8&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

On paper, it looks great, with 1920x1080 (1080p), 6ms, 176 degrees viewing angle.
Any thoughts on this one, guys? Any better ideas? Is it so much better than the Visio to justify the price? Thanks!

Edit: it absolutely cannot be bigger than 37" - it's not for me and the furniture only allows this much. Also, it will be used mostly to view regular cable TV, not HD, but I like the higher resolution because it may be used for games too from time to time.

I just bought this one from Costco for $950 w/ $150 off coupon. Circuit City wants $1200 for it. 1080P is the way to go if you want to hook your PC up to it. I have yet to do this but i can't wait to try. Vizio is a good value brand company and is increasing popularity at leaps and bounds. I have a buddy who works for Comcast and he hasn't had anyone say they didn't like theirs. Stay away from Phillips though, so he says.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11272877&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

When you say regular cable TV does this mean you are just plugging on the wall? If so I will comment further. Or do you have a digital box (non HD). Also, who is your cable provider?

Yes. I'd really like to hear from somebody who owns an 1080p and uses it with normal TV signals (no HD box, no HD DVD or BlueRay). Yeah, we're going to plug it in the wall. The cable provider is Rogers.

Ok, but here is what you are going to love. I have an HD cable Box AND I have it plugged into the wall so I can use the Picture-in-Picture.

Most newer HDTV's, at least the decent onces have built in tuners. They will say something like "Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner". Vizio has them in most of their TV's. This means you plug it in the wall and hit "scan", it will scan each channel, analog, digital, and HD. Any that are non-encrypted will be picked up by your TV. Therefore you will get the crappy analog like usually, which is blurry and crappy. However you will get the digital channels just like you would if you had a digital box. These are the Standard Definition 480i (or 480p I can't recall). Then you will ALSO get any HD channel that isn't encrypted. These are usually your local channels. I get about 5 of these on my TV without using the box. Which these come in at either 720p or 1080i.

The Cable company will never tell you this because they want to sell you their services.

And just to rephrase the analog channels, they arent that crappy, but once you see HD everything else is crappy. the Digital channels aren't HD but they look just fine.

Yeah don't do that. LCD's have come down so much you should just get the latest and greatest so it lasts you longer.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Wel the TV will pickup the channels like the other guy said, except in my case with "Charter Communications" I can only recive the channels through the wall via the analog cable line. I get 2 channels in 1080i the rest are 480p. Since the source "analog cable" can only display analog and not digital it is still crappy and fuzzy. However if I had "digital cable" it would come in crisp and clear. Just because you can recieve better channels dont mean they will display in there full glory. Kinda like you wont get full HD if you hook your PS3 via component cables. That would look crappy. To get the best HD from a PS3 you need to use HDMI. Digital Cable will look better then analog but you still wont get HD unless you use a HD interface.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The scaler is important. If you view SD TV direct from a cable or antenna (or 480i or 480p ATSC, if you wish), then the image quality is critically dependent on the video scaler, which has to mathematically transform 720 x 480 images into 1920 x 1080 (or 1366 x 768, or 1280 x 720) images, at the rate of 60 per second.

Some scalers work much better than others. I chose the Sony over the Samsung when I was shopping, because at the time the Sony had a much better scaler. These days, I don't know which set has a better one, but you might want to watch some SDTV on the HD set you're considering so that you can see what it will look like.

A true 720p set (1280 x 720, not 1366 x 768) will show a 720p signal (ABC broadcasts in 720p) with no scaling, in its original form. A 768p set will have to scale both 720p signals and 1080i / p signals, so everything you watch will get blurred just a bit from the interpolation. A 1080p set will scale up 720p broadcasts, but show 1080i at native resolution. There are no 1080p broadcasts, b.c. it uses too much bandwidth. AFAIK, NBC, CW and CBS all broadcast 1080i, and ABC broadcasts 720p. Don't know about Fox, but I think it's 1080i also.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
roadrunner 197069, 1080i HDTV is digital, not analog. I would agree with you that the 480p signals should look "fuzzy", b.c. they are being upscaled substantially. But saying the 1080i signal is fuzzy doesn't make any sense. If it were a bad signal, you'd just lose the image altogether. And even though the 1080i signal is being sent in RF over coax, it is still a digital signal from the standpoint that the signal is a bunch of 1s and 0s, not a bunch of modulated amplitudes. Because it's digital, it doesn't suffer quality degradation during transmission; it either gets there, or it doesn't.

I'm curious to hear what's happening to your 1080i signals coming from your cable jack on the wall. It almost sounds like they're being decoded, downscaled to 480p, and then upscaled back to the TV's native rez.

I grabbed a 42" Aquos last year when it was the smallest model sold with 1080p. No regrets. haven't seen anything since that I liked better.

having the opportunity to switch between the same movie on 480 on one channel and 1080p on another really shows that despite the claims of many regarding 1080p being wasted on anything elss than 60", ther eis a substantial difference.

frostys

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2005

I got the 46" model of this same model. It's really nice for game and movie but I personally dislike it under windows. You have to sit far since it's so big and the you crap the resolution to be able to see enything. 37" might work better for this.

Well, yeah, I don't have a 30-feet long DVI cable for the PC, if such a thing even exists. Good point.

I should figure out how far away we'll be sitting (basically, how big the room is) and then decide how big the TV should be. Is there a mathematical formula for this, like "TV size=distance from eye to TV divided by 5" or something?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Hmm. I would say the average distance you sit from a 19-24" monitor is between 1 1/2 - 3 feet. So maybe just double the sitting distance for every 20" extra. /shrug