Strange Compounding BSOD crashes

bugspin23

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
GA-EP35-DS4 V2.1
Q6600 (GO) @ 2.4
Crucial DDR2 1065 4Gig total (4x1Gig sticks)
EVGA 8800 GTS 512MB
One 750 Gig WD hard drive
Vista 64

I am getting very random BSOD crashes and im not sure what to do about it. I have googled my butt off and most info I have gathered is extremely vague or doesn't apply to my system.

The system runs great then all of a sudden BSOD and then the trouble starts to compound after the first crash.

The error codes are as follows:

1st BSOD
Technical Information:
*** Stop: 0x00000109 (0xa3a039089403c505, 0xb3b7465ee681adb5, 0xfffffa60006003898, 0x00000000000000001

*** CLFS.SYS - Address fffffa6000663898 base at fffffa600064c000, Datestamp 47919076

2nd BSOD
The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant.
Stop: 0x000000a5 (0x0000000000000011, 0x0000000000000003, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
What is your memory voltage settings? It is known that for 4 slot RAM sometimes we have to increase the voltage to have the stability :)

Try to boot with one memory only, and see if it's stable.

bugspin23

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
@ Antas
memory voltage is at ~2.2 V I know how to change it so if I need to make it higher thats no trouble.

@pat
Yes, I think so too, however, I cant get a straight answer from Crucial if I am able to use 4 total sticks of the 1065 ram. I read in a form that some P35 boards don't like Crucial memory and that they don't like more than 2 total sticks of 1065...but I cant get any type of definitive conformation from the manufacturer. and Gigabyte is even less helpful...All of the responses I get are EXACT copy/past from the user manual...which I have read extensively...no help...only tells how to set up the BIOS in general...

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I see, just to make sure, sorry :)

Too bad you don't get much informations from mobo/mem manufacturers. But perhaps somebody else in this forum have the same experiences ...

bugspin23

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
@ antas
That is what I am hoping as well. I think I am stuck with this board too...the 30 day return policy just went up. I can still change the ram though...its just soooo frustrating...I spent a little under $2000 on this system to be a monster gaming rig...at least for me...and I cant even get it stable...

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

this is not the first time i have read about this problem with gigabyte mobo's and crucial ram...
so the first thing to do is to get 2x2g ram not 4x1,,and if you can exchange the crucial for another make like patriot,giel,corsair,mushkin or ocz,,,and just to be on the safe side do not be in a hurry to overclock,there used to be a general rule where computers were concerned about the first three weeks being critical for first time setups of new electronics,,your first error message looks like a ram address error,as for the second one look in your bios and see if there is an unknown device listed,on some mobo's,,my asus for example i had to reload all the mobo's nvidia chipset drivers,,,although it also looks?? like a ram error..best o' luck bro.:)

dosen't the 30 day return policy only apply at the retail level??the mobo itself comes with a 1 or 2 yr.,warranty,,no?? my asus has a 3yr., manuf., warranty...says so right on the box,although i think your problem is incompatible ram,hell probably even 2x2g of crucial would work,,it is just that some mobo's have problems with 4x1..???

bugspin23

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
@ everyone
Thanks for all the help and replies, I am one step away from quiting Gigabyte and Crucial for good. About a week ago i did a total tear down and rebuild and reinstall of everything. Doing the following:
* Made sure to install updated BIOS BEFORE anything else was installed.
* Made sure that memory voltages and timings were correct
* Made sure to update windows before installing any drivers for other hardware components.
* Made sure to ONLY use 2 gigs of memory to get a stable system first, and only then attempting to use more. ( I didn't even get that far)
I had a stable system for about 5 days then then last night...BAM memory management and IRQU not less or equal...same BSOD. and the Vista help centers quick fix for that error apparently doesn't apply to my system as I have attempted to down load the fix and Vista wont let me install the fix.

Both Gigabyte and Crucial have been 100% WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!! I cant get an English speaking person on the phone with Gigabyte and any emails I get from Gigabyte are EXACT copies from the user manual, which by the way, is totally generalized and not specific to my system.(I do understand that it needs to be this way due to the vast amount of different hard ware configurations)

So, my final step. I am ditching the Crucial Memory and going with OCZ. I sent ONE email to the support staff at OCZ and within 2 hours they gave me a detailed response specific to my questions AND they actually recommended a potential fix to my problem and it didn't involve purchasing their product!!! Only at the very end of the response did they say that if all of their suggestions don't work and I am going to stick with the same MoBo to try a certain type of OCZ memory. Amazing, a company that stresses superior customer service!!! I am very disappointed with Crucial and Gigabyte. Seems like as my Granddad used to say, "Looks like they got to big for their britches!" lol Gotta love old people logic...but its true. So, I am trying the OCZ memory and if that doesn't work I will know definitively that its the MoBo and will send it back for something new...

carlthulhu

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Did you ever sort out the problem? I have the same GA-EP35-DS4 board, with 2 sticks of Crucial Ballistix memory. My system crashes too, but it's only when I plug in a USB HDD or camera card reader.

basiloungas

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
It's the crucial RAM sticks for sure.
Same problem here.
I switched to transcend sticks and my computer finally works!
I havent had any BSODs for about a month+.
The only problem i had was once when i woke my PC from sleep, when after a while everything stuck and i had to reboot.
By sure to manually set up the values of the ddr voltage from the bios.
When i had it in auto, using easytune (i think) i saw that it was set to 1.8.
The sticks were ment to be used with 2.1 value and if u use 4 sticks i read somewhere in the internet that it is good to pump it a little more (2.2).
BURN THE CRUCIAL sticks

Knightowl

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
GA-P35-DS3L ..... 4 X 1gb Crucial Balisitix ...

Multiple seemingly random BSOD.

Voltage upped from stock 1.8 to +4, then +5.

Memtest runs 12 hours no faults.

...... computer locksup in a reboot loop.

Pull 2 sticks and if runs flawlessly.

Gigabyte boards are good. Crucial ram is good.

Together they create a demon from the depths of Hades.

kidem

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Im Having same issue but with Ga-p35-dsl3 with crucial ballistic ram...random BSOD's.... total aggree with Knightowl with his below statment!!!

GA-P35-DS3L ..... 4 X 1gb Crucial Balisitix ...

Multiple seemingly random BSOD.

Voltage upped from stock 1.8 to +4, then +5.

Memtest runs 12 hours no faults.

...... computer locksup in a reboot loop.

Pull 2 sticks and if runs flawlessly.

Gigabyte boards are good. Crucial ram is good.

Together they create a demon from the depths of Hades.

bugspin23

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Yeah, I got rid of both and am now using an Asus Maximus Formula with OCZ Reaper memory. I was able to over clock my Q6600 to 3.4 Gig in about 30 mins and have not had one single BSOD EVER.