Sign in with
Your question

Bios & vista not recognizing esata drive

Last response: in Storage
February 25, 2009 5:38:49 AM

good day.
thank you in advance for your time.

ok, pretty good with computers here. built my system actually. just can't quite figure this one out:
bought a western digital 750 gig drive, formatted the drive using regular internal sata cord, put it in a Vantec NexStar MX esata HDD enclosure, connected the external case to an esata port [which just runs internally to a sata port].

both my bios [asus maximus formula] and windows vista 64-bit do not recognize the drive properly. sometimes it's not there at all, sometimes it's considered an indeterminate 8gig drive....

i know the drive and the enclosure work, because it also has a USB port on it, which i used for a while [before formatting it via sata cord].

any thoughts? suggestions?

i've tried switching the sata configuration in the bios to AHCI and RAID, to no avail. i now have it set to IDE [regular/default].

*edit: few other things i forgot to mention: i have the enclosure set to JBOD and only 1 of the 2 possible drives installed. when i open disk management and try to get it to recognize it, it comes up with the error: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."
a b G Storage
February 25, 2009 11:37:37 AM

JBOD is a type of RAID array, maybe you should set it to the single drive setting?
Just throwing things out off the top of my head......
February 25, 2009 2:18:31 PM

hmmm, as far as i understood from the enclosure's manual JBOD was the only option i had to make the drives come up as separate drives and the only way i could install a 2nd drive at a later date.
am i misunderstanding that part?

** EDIT **
ok, so ya i did misunderstand. i'm home now and looked at the manual again and tried it on single mode [or individual mode]. still the same problem for both cmos and vista. in cmos it comes up as Config Drive 0
Related resources
March 1, 2009 10:26:59 PM

i have had no advances with figuring out this problem.
please, anyone else have a suggestion?
March 22, 2009 9:10:24 PM

Hey. I just installed Windows 7 and I am also not able to detect my E-sata 1TB with NEXTAR enclosure. I just changed my BIOS SATA setting from IDE to RAID, because I am using RAID 0 WD Raptor Drives. That's why the computer can't detect the Esata drive. If I switch it back to IDE, it will be detected as before when I use windows XP

So, Are you also using RAID?

Hope this helps you.

Gabe
!