Vista 64 File transfer very slow & untorrent knocking off my internet

Cersei

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Hiya peeps,
I recently upgraded from Windows XP Home to Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I've had a few problems but nothing I couldn't work out. I'm a bit stuck with this one though.

Whenever I start up uTorrent, I can no longer browse the internet. Even when I shut uTorrent down again, I have to restart the computer before I can surf. While uTorrent is on, it downloads no problem so the connection is definitely there.

I'm using a Netopia 2247 Router with the Firewall turned off. My Windows Firewall is turned on though. I've always kept the router firewall off because it never allows me forward my ports properly with the firewall on.

I've tried Firefox and Internet Explorer but nothing happens. I've tried a few solutions in uTorrent itself that I got from the uTorrent forums.

# Try lowering net.max_halfopen to 8 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

# Try disabling IP resolving in the Peers tab's context menu

# Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

# Try disabling UPnP and NAT-PMP (Can be found in Preferences > Connection)

# Try disabling peer.resolve_country if it isn't already set to false (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

# Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? Lower? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

None of these things have worked.

I have another desktop and a laptop running Windows XP and they can both surf the net no problem while uTorrent is running.

I also have another problem which I think might be connected.

File transfer between my Vista rig and my XP rig has slowed down dramatically in the last couple of days. It's now taking me 2 hours to transfer a 6Gb file where-as before it would take me about 6 minutes.

I've tried transferring to different hard drives but it's still incredibly slow. I dis-abled Nod 32 and Windows Defender but no joy.

I tried transferring files between my XP rig and my XP laptop wirelessly and that's still fine. It's just the Vista rig that's having this problem.

In the Network & Sharing Center my settings are...

Network Discovery: On

File Sharing: On

Public Folder Sharing: On

Printer Sharing: On

Password Protected Sharing: Off

Media Sharing: On

So, here's hoping someone can help me. I've gotten over a lot of hurdles with Vista 64 since installing it and I gotta say, I like it ( I never thought I'd ever say that ). So, I really don't want to go back to XP because of this.

jadawgis732

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
My solution is to disable and enable connection in windows, or change from public network to home network and back. One of them worked. Was only getting 200kbps on the check before, now 3.7MB which is probably as quick as utorrent can parse it.