Motherboards & Memory

Richmoney9

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
every once and awhile i hear a short beep [from my pc speaker i imagine, not the POST beep] while being busy doing things either online or at the desktop. What does this mean?

ive reinstalled exsisting motherboard drivers, reseated the ram multiple times, updated motherboard drivers, run pc stress tests, memory tests, flashed updated biostaken out new ram and put in old ram (which didn't change anything so the problem i don't think is my ram).

i looked up the beep codes and one short beep (for AMI) is supposed to represent dram refresh failure. what is dram refresh failure? and what can/need i do to fix it besides returning the motherboard for a nw oneeee?

Richmoney9

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
I specifically mentioned that i'm not refering to the beep that takes place BEFORE getting into windws os. the beep that i am hearing takes place AFTER booting into windows (once everything is said and done, and while i'm using my computer for whatever: e-mail, surfing, etc).. unless you're telling me that there is a random beep in windows that would refere to a POST test.

the conclusion that i got is it must be a beep code. AMI lists it as being a dram refresh failure. so i'm asking for any information anyone might have regarding this situation. do i need to worry about the refresh failure? is there a reason for the beep, blah blah blah...

thanks!

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
could be a warning beep for something like a fan rpm, temp or voltage momentarily outside parameters.
as already mentioned knowing which mobo would help ...