Sign in with
Your question

Xp f6 sata driver extensa 5230e-2177

Last response: in Windows XP
July 4, 2010 10:22:56 PM

I have purchased a Acer Extensa 5230E-2177 with Windows 7 and wish to install XP pro. The system needs an F6 sata driver during the Xp install? Do you know where I can locate one?
a b \ Driver
July 5, 2010 1:45:33 AM

khagel said:
I have purchased a Acer Extensa 5230E-2177 with Windows 7 and wish to install XP pro. The system needs an F6 sata driver during the Xp install? Do you know where I can locate one?

If it really needs a SATA driver to install XP, you should look in device manager while you still have it running to see what the SATA device is and go from there. It will probably be listed under "SCSI and RAID controllers."

Did you try to install XP? If so, did you get an error saying "inaccessible boot device"?
If you did not get this error, then you don't need a driver for your on-board SATA controller.
m
l
July 5, 2010 5:24:53 PM

I DID attempt to install XP Pro and the inaccessible boot device is the ERROR that comes up!

Help
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
July 5, 2010 8:37:08 PM

khagel said:
I DID attempt to install XP Pro and the inaccessible boot device is the ERROR that comes up!

Help

Well now we know that you have an actual error.

You must understand the technical level of most people that come here is nil. When they see the Windows Setup show them to press F6 to install a driver, they press F6 and suddenly are confronted with a crisis. They panic and come here wanting to know what to do next, when if they ignored it, Windows Setup would have gone ahead without the additional driver.

This is why I had to ask the questiion:
"Did you try to install XP? If so, did you get an error saying "inaccessible boot device"?
You only said you needed an F6 sata driver... not a very revealing question.

Acer Extensa 5230E, the BIOS option has "SATA mode" and you can toggle between "AHCI" and "IDE". Set it to "IDE" and install WinXP without the "F6" driver.
m
l
July 6, 2010 5:25:10 AM

tigsounds said:
Well now we know that you have an actual error.

You must understand the technical level of most people that come here is nil. When they see the Windows Setup show them to press F6 to install a driver, they press F6 and suddenly are confronted with a crisis. They panic and come here wanting to know what to do next, when if they ignored it, Windows Setup would have gone ahead without the additional driver.

This is why I had to ask the questiion:
"Did you try to install XP? If so, did you get an error saying "inaccessible boot device"?
You only said you needed an F6 sata driver... not a very revealing question.

Acer Extensa 5230E, the BIOS option has "SATA mode" and you can toggle between "AHCI" and "IDE". Set it to "IDE" and install WinXP without the "F6" driver.

Thank you VERY VERY VERY Very much! That fixed the problem and I am now loading the AHCI drivers also to give me a bit more speed!

I have a video application that will only run under XP. I run the finish line at Dragon Boat Races, and video tape the results with a firewire camera. I purchase only laptops that can run XP and find the Acer on-line support site furnishes drivers for all OS'.

I also discovered the AHCI driver that the system needs is on the web site(and will fit on a floppy) and I am going to try loading that driver with F6 during OS load from a USB floppy as I configure the twin to this system!

Have a great day!

Klaus Hagel
khagel@comcast.net

m
l
a b \ Driver
July 6, 2010 6:00:29 AM

khagel said:

I have a video application that will only run under XP. I run the finish line at Dragon Boat Races, and video tape the results with a firewire camera. I purchase only laptops that can run XP and find the Acer on-line support site furnishes drivers for all OS'.

A really, really cool video recording program is Adobe "On Location CS4" (or now, CS5).
It is definitely a professional level program that anybody with an extra 15 minutes can learn how to use and it works on all versions of Windows from Xp up. It captures from camera to HD.

m
l
July 6, 2010 6:47:08 AM

tigsounds said:
A really, really cool video recording program is Adobe "On Location CS4" (or now, CS5).
It is definitely a professional level program that anybody with an extra 15 minutes can learn how to use and it works on all versions of Windows from Xp up. It captures from camera to HD.

I will check it out, but I need a 1-pixel wide finish line on my screen and be able to advance/goback a frame at a time for what I do, to determine the winner (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)!Also USB 2.0 is to slow, so Firewire is a must!

Give me your e-mail address and I will send you a sample of what I do!

Thanks though for your help!

Klaus Hagel
khagel@comcast.net
m
l
!