Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

64-bit OS system not reading over 3.25Gb RAM consistently.

Last response: in Memory
Share
March 22, 2008 10:13:10 PM

I had posted here a while back with a similar error, but now I have more information (plus screenshots) on this issue.

I have the following:
4Gb OCZ SLI-Ready RAM DDR2 800.
MSI K9A2 Platinum Mobo
AMD Phenom 9600 BE CPU
Running Windows Vista x64 Ultimate.

Yet, every other startup or so (about 60%) it shows ~3.25Gb of RAM on the Welcome Center.

And the rest of the time (~40%) it shows the full 4Gb of RAM.


As you can see, I've also noticed that everytime it shows 3.25Gb the Windows Vista rating score turns gray like there has been new hardware, and I have to rescan (still comes out 5.9), whereas when it shows 4Gb, the Vista rating stays blue.

A couple of things:
I've tried increasing the voltage for the memory, because I thought maybe it wasn't getting enough power.
I've looked everywhere in the BIOS and can't find any more memory settings, or at least any related to this issue.
I have also tried unseating, reseating, the RAM to no avail.
I was thinking maybe because I haven't activated Windows yet? (Want to make sure it can run all my programs before I activate and register it.)
March 22, 2008 10:49:37 PM

GO back to XP B4 it's too late! Don't get sucked into the Vista Vortex.


Palit 8800GT Super 1GB 700/950 SLI
E6600 @ 3.6 1.47v
Asus P5N-e SLI @ 400
GSkill 2x1Gb DDR800
WD 74GB Raptor
Audigy ZS
Hiper TypeR 580 PSU
Antec 900 v.2
LG L226WTY-BF
3Dmark06 16200
March 23, 2008 12:33:57 AM

I wouldn't worry about vista scores etc. does it work the way you're wanting it to/play games, programs well? If you're wanting/needing more memory, then you'll have to move to 64 bit.
March 23, 2008 12:53:17 AM

Tbonelowe - thanks for the useless reply.
This isn't about Vista versus XP.
And try it before you flame it, it's actually better than XP in my opinion, since it has DirectX10, and more features than XP does. It takes a little getting used to, but I prefer Vista over XP anyday.

sepayne - I'm not worried about the performance scores as it's 5.9 either way. it was just something I noticed that was different between the two. Everything seems to run fine. I already have 64-bit, as you can see by the screenshots.

The issue, in case I didn't state it clearly enough, is that I don't know why it reads two different amounts of system memory using the exact same configuration.
March 23, 2008 1:38:14 AM

tbonelowe said:
GO back to XP B4 it's too late! Don't get sucked into the Vista Vortex.


Palit 8800GT Super 1GB 700/950 SLI
E6600 @ 3.6 1.47v
Asus P5N-e SLI @ 400
GSkill 2x1Gb DDR800
WD 74GB Raptor
Audigy ZS
Hiper TypeR 580 PSU
Antec 900 v.2
LG L226WTY-BF
3Dmark06 16200


Why not go back to Windows 2000 or ME or 98 for that matter? pfffttt

to the OP - enter the bios and change the memory remap setting.
March 23, 2008 3:41:20 AM

I can't find a Memory Remap setting.
I've read through this Mobo Manual dozens of times and I can't seem to find anything like that.
March 23, 2008 3:46:22 AM

rauchster said:
I can't find a Memory Remap setting.
I've read through this Mobo Manual dozens of times and I can't seem to find anything like that.


Oh god its MSI

update the bios, and then look in the bios, dont bother with the manual its useless.
March 23, 2008 4:24:27 AM

Thanks for the info.... I've realized that manual isn't helping much.
BIOS updates hmmm.... Alrighty then, not like I got much to lose.
Except for maybe everything :/ 
March 23, 2008 6:34:24 AM

Alright - this just sucks.
MSI's website has the BIOS update for me, but it won't run in x64 - it's for x86.....
What the hell do I do now?
March 23, 2008 7:41:28 AM

You should be able to do it from DOS by booting from your thumbdrive or FDD.
March 23, 2008 12:03:33 PM

rauchster said:
Alright - this just sucks.
MSI's website has the BIOS update for me, but it won't run in x64 - it's for x86.....
What the hell do I do now?


LOL and you wonder why i dont like msi....

Boot devices yes, or got a spare hdd, install windows and do the update (32bit)?
March 23, 2008 1:17:04 PM

So after some boots you get 4 gig and some it's 3.25? Any chance it's 4 gig after a cold boot and 3.25 after a restart? Reason I ask is that on a Vista 64 rig with 4 or more gig I have RAM/driver issues after a warm boot but all is well after a cold boot. Took me awhile to figure out that was the determining factor. I just thought it was a random occurrence for a month or so!

Somehow I doubt it's memory remapping because if that is not turned on you never get 4 gig.

To the idiot Vista bashers; i get the same exact thing on XP- grow up!
March 23, 2008 1:45:57 PM

tbonelowe said:
GO back to XP B4 it's too late! Don't get sucked into the Vista Vortex.


Palit 8800GT Super 1GB 700/950 SLI
E6600 @ 3.6 1.47v
Asus P5N-e SLI @ 400
GSkill 2x1Gb DDR800
WD 74GB Raptor
Audigy ZS
Hiper TypeR 580 PSU
Antec 900 v.2
LG L226WTY-BF
3Dmark06 16200


Stupidity is everywhere.

For your information, I have dual-boot Vista 64 bit and XP 32-bit. Last time I used XP was in january when I upgraded to a 8800GT.

Vista is fast, stable (more then XP) and work with everything I throw at it but DOS apps. For that I guess you still use W98...
March 23, 2008 1:55:48 PM

Thuan is correct you want to flash the BIOS in DOS, to do it in windows of any operating system is taking an risk thats not needed.

As far as Vista vs XP, I've used the 64 bit versions of both. Both were rock solid and I have to say I do believe Vista is faster.
March 26, 2008 12:51:12 AM

notherdude said:
So after some boots you get 4 gig and some it's 3.25? Any chance it's 4 gig after a cold boot and 3.25 after a restart? Reason I ask is that on a Vista 64 rig with 4 or more gig I have RAM/driver issues after a warm boot but all is well after a cold boot. Took me awhile to figure out that was the determining factor. I just thought it was a random occurrence for a month or so!

Somehow I doubt it's memory remapping because if that is not turned on you never get 4 gig.

To the idiot Vista bashers; i get the same exact thing on XP- grow up!


Thanks for all the responses people.
No these are all after cold boots, but that certainly does make sense.
I'll try and make my 4Gb Flash Drive into a booting device, since I've seen USB Booting available on this board, then boot to a DOS, but I've never flashed BIOS before. I know it's kinda sad, and I've read how to do it before, but never actually done it. Will this affect anything on the system?

March 26, 2008 2:13:41 AM

Well when you go to look for the new BIOS file it should list what changes it makes over the previous version or version's.

Since your having problems with memory and the memory controller is part of the CPU on AMD prossesors you could have a problem with that as well.

Flashing a BIOS is aways risky if the flash goes bad or isn't completed it could render your motherboard useless.
!