64-bit OS system not reading over 3.25Gb RAM consistently.

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I had posted here a while back with a similar error, but now I have more information (plus screenshots) on this issue.

I have the following:
4Gb OCZ SLI-Ready RAM DDR2 800.
MSI K9A2 Platinum Mobo
AMD Phenom 9600 BE CPU
Running Windows Vista x64 Ultimate.

Yet, every other startup or so (about 60%) it shows ~3.25Gb of RAM on the Welcome Center.
3328megsrampk7.jpg

And the rest of the time (~40%) it shows the full 4Gb of RAM.
4095megsramrs7.jpg

As you can see, I've also noticed that everytime it shows 3.25Gb the Windows Vista rating score turns gray like there has been new hardware, and I have to rescan (still comes out 5.9), whereas when it shows 4Gb, the Vista rating stays blue.

A couple of things:
I've tried increasing the voltage for the memory, because I thought maybe it wasn't getting enough power.
I've looked everywhere in the BIOS and can't find any more memory settings, or at least any related to this issue.
I have also tried unseating, reseating, the RAM to no avail.
I was thinking maybe because I haven't activated Windows yet? (Want to make sure it can run all my programs before I activate and register it.)

tbonelowe

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
GO back to XP B4 it's too late! Don't get sucked into the Vista Vortex.

Palit 8800GT Super 1GB 700/950 SLI
E6600 @ 3.6 1.47v
Asus P5N-e SLI @ 400
GSkill 2x1Gb DDR800
WD 74GB Raptor
Audigy ZS
Hiper TypeR 580 PSU
Antec 900 v.2
LG L226WTY-BF
3Dmark06 16200

sepayne21

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I wouldn't worry about vista scores etc. does it work the way you're wanting it to/play games, programs well? If you're wanting/needing more memory, then you'll have to move to 64 bit.

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Tbonelowe - thanks for the useless reply.
This isn't about Vista versus XP.
And try it before you flame it, it's actually better than XP in my opinion, since it has DirectX10, and more features than XP does. It takes a little getting used to, but I prefer Vista over XP anyday.

sepayne - I'm not worried about the performance scores as it's 5.9 either way. it was just something I noticed that was different between the two. Everything seems to run fine. I already have 64-bit, as you can see by the screenshots.

The issue, in case I didn't state it clearly enough, is that I don't know why it reads two different amounts of system memory using the exact same configuration.

Why not go back to Windows 2000 or ME or 98 for that matter? pfffttt

to the OP - enter the bios and change the memory remap setting.

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I can't find a Memory Remap setting.
I've read through this Mobo Manual dozens of times and I can't seem to find anything like that.

Oh god its MSI

update the bios, and then look in the bios, dont bother with the manual its useless.

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Thanks for the info.... I've realized that manual isn't helping much.
BIOS updates hmmm.... Alrighty then, not like I got much to lose.
Except for maybe everything :/

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Alright - this just sucks.
MSI's website has the BIOS update for me, but it won't run in x64 - it's for x86.....
What the hell do I do now?

LOL and you wonder why i dont like msi....

Boot devices yes, or got a spare hdd, install windows and do the update (32bit)?

So after some boots you get 4 gig and some it's 3.25? Any chance it's 4 gig after a cold boot and 3.25 after a restart? Reason I ask is that on a Vista 64 rig with 4 or more gig I have RAM/driver issues after a warm boot but all is well after a cold boot. Took me awhile to figure out that was the determining factor. I just thought it was a random occurrence for a month or so!

Somehow I doubt it's memory remapping because if that is not turned on you never get 4 gig.

To the idiot Vista bashers; i get the same exact thing on XP- grow up!

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Stupidity is everywhere.

For your information, I have dual-boot Vista 64 bit and XP 32-bit. Last time I used XP was in january when I upgraded to a 8800GT.

Vista is fast, stable (more then XP) and work with everything I throw at it but DOS apps. For that I guess you still use W98...

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Thuan is correct you want to flash the BIOS in DOS, to do it in windows of any operating system is taking an risk thats not needed.

As far as Vista vs XP, I've used the 64 bit versions of both. Both were rock solid and I have to say I do believe Vista is faster.

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

Thanks for all the responses people.
No these are all after cold boots, but that certainly does make sense.
I'll try and make my 4Gb Flash Drive into a booting device, since I've seen USB Booting available on this board, then boot to a DOS, but I've never flashed BIOS before. I know it's kinda sad, and I've read how to do it before, but never actually done it. Will this affect anything on the system?

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Well when you go to look for the new BIOS file it should list what changes it makes over the previous version or version's.

Since your having problems with memory and the memory controller is part of the CPU on AMD prossesors you could have a problem with that as well.

Flashing a BIOS is aways risky if the flash goes bad or isn't completed it could render your motherboard useless.

TRENDING THREADS