Looking for good cooler for Q6600

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
The stock cooler doesn't seem to be doing a very good job. I've been researching this quite a bit, but am still a little unsure.

I read that the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 are both great coolers. My case is about 7.9in wide (sopranoRS case) and my mobo is the GA-EP45-DS3L (I've read that Gigabyte mobos seem to have trouble with clearance of the NB). Will these coolers fit with my case and mobo?

Also should I add an intake fan on the front?

My CPU seems to be the only real high temp, but would an intake fan cause a significant drop in temps?

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer FTW!

there should be an intake and an exhaust fan in a system at least! it might not affect the CPU temp BUT it will lower the OVERALL system temperature such as mob,nb,ram,hdd......

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

Ok, I have an exhaust fan. I guess I'll add an intake fan with my purchase. How do you find a good intake fan (are there reviews for them or are they all pretty similar)? What do you search for? I think it can fit up to a 120mmx120mmx25mm one in the front.

Ya, the sunbeam Core Contact Freezer looks really good. However, do you think that it will fit. I'm mainly concerned with it hitting my NB. I just got the MB (GA-EP45-DS3L) along with the CPU (Q6600) and haven't tested it too much. I can't rip fins off in case that the MB has a problem and I have to send it back. The NB seems to be a bit over an inch tall.

Note: Sunbeam website just says that it works with MOST motherboards.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
The Xigmatek s1283 and the OCZ Vendetta 2 will both clear the north bridge cooler. These units use identical mounts, however it is adviseable to get the Crossbow bracket from Xigmatek for either of these coolers for improved installation. Their performance is very close, with the V2 maybe better by 1 to 2 degrees C due to its improved cooling fin engineering. You should have at least 1 each intake and exhaust fans, I would suggest the Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm 120mm fans, very quiet and efficient fans and reasonably priced, I have 4 of them in my P182 case.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm a bit scared of the Crossbow bracket however. How hard is it to get on? Also how hard is it to get off if I have to RMA my mobo (doubt I will, but it's a new board and I want to keep that option open)?

I'm sort of thinking about getting the Xigmatek s1283. I have to decide tonight, so that I can get it by mid week.

Also: When I put down the Thermal Paste, should I just put a line down each copper tube?

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
The motherboard has to be removed to install the base plate of the crossbow, but once it is installed it makes it much easier to install the cooler, and it does a much better job of applying the proper pressure than the default mounting system. It is quite easy to install and remove the crossbow. I put a fine line of thermal paste down the centre of each tube, the small cavities at the edge of each tube provide a place for the excess that is squeezed out to go.
The crossbow is worth the time to use, as it will save you a lot of frustration with the standard pin type mounts, and won't loose tension like the standard plastic mounts do.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

Thanks for all the info. My stock fan wasn't doing a very good job at keeping my CPU cool, so hopefully this will help. Also, is this the crossbar your talking about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-N82E16835233019?

I heard that the adhesive is very sticky and doesn't like to come off.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

Ok, thanks for helping me.

Hopefully, everything will fit/work.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

I got the Xigmatek. I was a bit tight on cash right now and it seemed to have fairly good reviews. I also wasn't sure if the core contact would fit in my case. The Xigmatek looks like it will fit. However, right now I'm waiting on thermal paste. Newegg forgot to send it, so they are sending me a bottle with over night delivery. I'm hoping to get it before the weekend.

I also added a sythe intake fan in the front. Hopefully, that will also help my temperatures.