A good CPU cooler for QX9650 in HTPC case?

shayx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
i'm purchasing the Silverstone lc17 and would like recommendations on a CPU cooler
that will do the job but won't be too high for the HTPC case (170MM tall).

so far cheked the Ninja Mini and Thermaltake MaxOrb.

i want to overclock the cpu so, any suggestions?

shayx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
it's like this:
its just a HTPC CASE! not a HTPC build.
yes it will be used for showing HD movies but mainly for gaming and everyday use.
as for the QX9650, i happen to get it at 75% discount so why not? :)

now, a good cooler for QX9650 in the LC17 case please? :)

Fragille

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

its just that a good cooler that able to cool an overclocked QX9650 properly is generally need more height clearance

shayx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
i know.
but I'm trying to work out some sort of compromise.
i don't intend to squeeze the CPU to the max...
but i think 4.5GHZ is a good goal...

BTW just read a review about the ZALMAN 9500 and it pretty rocks and more important fits in the case...
the heatsinks you offered is not available here...

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
4.5ghz, in a tiny htpc case, with questionable air cooling. you're smoking crack. You should do a little more research on what "the max" is, and adjust your expectations to fit. You'd need a great water cooling setup and a good chip to get 4.5ghz stable. With the heat you need to dissipate, you'd be lucky to get 3.8ghz, probably more like 3.4-3.6ghz. I'd return that htpc case, and get a real case, and a real cooler if you want to overclock. If you really insist on overclocking in a sardine can, look into the top of the line freezone cooler, it might fit. Or, if you're a McGuyver, you may be able to rig a single loop water cooling system, and mount a radiator on the back of the case.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Like clownbaby said, hitting 4.5 in a HTPC case is gonna be really tough. You could probably squeeze a WCing setup in it, using an external radiator.

In your case I would just use a decent aftermarket cooler, and maybe get a small bump on the processor, or just leave it stock. A 9650 is a great CPU, and for most people you wont really have a legit reason to OC it.

Id leave it stock, put in a stout single video card like a 4870X2 or a GTX280 and go with it. That will be your best route in an HTPC case. If you really want to OC, your going to need a real case and a real setup that is designed to handle those temps.

shayx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
well guyz.
i decided to drop the all HTPC thing.

i'm gonna get a Coolermaster 690 case and i was thinking to cool it with OCZ Vendetta 2