Disk read error...

96Firebird

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Just built myself a new PC (first time builder), and now I am having a little problem. I've had the PC for about 2 weeks, and the past couple of days I get an error message on startup. It says something like, "A disk read error has occured, press alt+ctrl+del to restart". So I press alt+ctrl+del, it restarts and shows up again. I go into the BIOS menu, everything seems in check. Get the error message again, so I just press the power button on the tower and the PC turns off. I turn it back on a few seconds later and it loads Windows fine (Vista 32bit). What could be causing this problem? And why does it work after I turn the PC off using the power button? That is the only way I can get Windows to load, it has worked a few times now...

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Sounds like a bad harddrive. Back up your data. Run a harddrive diag like Seatools. One bad sector means you gotta bad drive. It could also be the controller on the drive, which also means a bad drive.

CNeufeld

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
First off, make sure you've got backups of all your stuff. Your motherboard, cabling, or HD are likely failing.

Second, check your connections. Make sure all the HD cables (power and data) are securely plugged in.

Third, download the diagnostics application from your HD manufacturer, and run them.

It really sounds like your HD is failing, and you'll be getting a new one.

SpudTECH

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

I Agree... Check cabling and then find the diagnostic programs for your hard drive and run them. It's Either a bad drive or a bad mobo hd controler (supprizing how often the controler goes out on a cheap chipset/motherboard :pfff: ).

96Firebird

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Ran SeaTools (both short and long DST), passed cleanly. I checked the wiring today, everything seemed fine. If it happens again, I'll try another SATA port.

96Firebird

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I messed with (wiggled) the SATA and IDE cables a little after I turned it off last time, and today it booted up with no problems. Hopefully that was the problem, I'll post back if the problem pops up again. I have no floppy drive BTW. Thanks for all the help!