I get a signal with VGA but not DVI???

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I'm building a project PC for fun. It's got a 2600xt on an MSI g33 motherboard. I'm using a Westinghouse 22" monitor. here's the thing: I can't get a video signal on the DVI cable. If I use a DVI-to-VGA adapter, it works fine through the VGA cable, but if i go back to the DVI cable, nothing. i've installed the latest drivers and can't think of another reason for this unless my monitor just doesn't like this card.

the monitor gets a perfect DVI signal from my 8800gtx, but nothing through the 2600xt. Anybody have an experience like this?

panicatak

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
some monitors do not auto selct imputs, My Iiyama does, my Dell doesn't.

Have you checked the manual to see if you have to press a button to switch to Digital mode?

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
i'll have to check, but it's strange because i don't touch the monitor and switch between analog on the project pc and digital on my gaming pc and the monitor picks up the digital signal from my gamer. maybe i need to tweak something in catalyst to set up the monitor?

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
i've tried both. i'll add another permutation to the pile, as well. i have an old POS X1550 card with both VGA and DVI plugs. When i put it in, the VGA works, but DVI doesn't. i'm stumped.