8800GTS 512MB: Huge Hit With AA in Crysis?

murphy82nd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Hey all,
Some of you may remember my thread some time back about problems with an 8800 GT I was having. I returned that card for an 8800 GTS 512MB and most of those problems went away, especially the crashing. I think the GTS is just a higher quality part, imo. Anyway, I do notice something that I find odd. In Crysis without AA I get excellent fps on high settings at 1680x1050, around 40 or higher walking around, upwards of 60 inside buildings. However, turn on AA and watch the fun begin. With 4xAA I am talking about a max of 20 fps outside, with it going so low at times as to go down to 5 fps around many enemies. Now I know Crysis is a very demanding game, but what strikes me as odd is my old 640MB GTS had no problems with AA in Crysis. I could have 4xAA and still get 30 fps with many enemies around. Other games I also notice some problems with AA, in that it seems a little glitchy, though Crysis is by far the worst. My question is, what is the cause of this? Is the new GTS not as good at AA as the old GTS? Is it that the old GTS was better in DX9 than the new GTS? I am really kind of stumped here, so anyway thoughts would be great.

Thanks

(P.S. Does anyone know how Nvidia's DX10 drivers are doing? I have the option of getting a free copy of Vista and wondered if it would be worth it.

murphy82nd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Anyone have any ideas on this? I am contemplating a fresh os install to deal with all the problems I've had with the G92 line. I have tried a new PSU, new drivers, and I still get stuttery performance, much worse than my old G80 GTS. I want to know if a reinstall might be worth it.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Yes, the AA is a problem in Crysis. Keep it off. Doesnt add any visual quality anyway.

I am running Vista w/ the latest nvidia drivers, and it is running fine. I have no way to comare it to your system though.

murphy82nd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I think I might try a fresh install anyway, the performance with this card is, unusual. I get really good fps, then I start moving around and it stutters like mad, I stop and it goes back to the regular fps. Do you have any problems like this?

pauldh

Illustrious
No single card handles 4xaa at 1680x1050 high in crysis. I can barely manage that with dual 8800GT and actually play 2xaa/16xaf for better framerates. Something seems wrong with your 640MB GTS testing though, are you sure it was all high? maybe hitting a 512MB ram limit with 4xaa? I know the GPU bench at least puts the 640MB GTS below the 8800GT with or without fsaa.
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=698&p=4

You are talking about actual observed framerates during gaming to which I'll say I have tried one 8800GT with 4xaa/16xaf 16x10 high and no way would I call that playable. SLI 8800GT I felt there was major stuttering with 4xaa in the Assault level (out in the open at the shipyard with the large carrier). I reduced to 2xaa and even then that level gave me the least smooth performance of any other level.

BTW, this is the level that I'm refering to:
http://guides.ign.com/guides/694190/page_8.html

iMAKEtheDEVIL CRY

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
On the G80 you have more memory(640v512),higher bus width(320v256),Higher bandwidth(64GB/s v 62.7GB/s) they are the reasons why the G80 is better with AA it has more bandwidth basically.A fresh install can't hurt though.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
In my OPINION, Crysis is a terrible game to benchmark GPU performance on. It just seems to be so inconsistent. I got tired of it, and now I just play COD4. I can crank the graphics all the way up, and I think they look just as good as Crysis.

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

I don't see inconsistency with Crysis. It just takes a powerful card to run @ higher settings.

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Of course it adds visual quality. AA just takes a big hit with all games. Most games just can't touch a Geforce 8800gts power however even with AA.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Perhaps I should have been more clear.

Various levels, environments, number of enemies, proximity to water, complexity of terrain and the like, all drastically affect the frame rate, more than most games.

Again, I will provide a deeper explaination of what I mean.

Sure 4xAA removes the jaggies, but at higher resolutions with high graphics settings, the AA is difficult to notice, and the performance hit is significantly greater than the increase in visual quality.

Edit: To further clarify and simplify. And visual quality provided by AA is more than cancelled out by the serious hit in frame rates.

unless you just like a good slideshow.

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

It's also the most graphic rich PC game out currently. What is your point?

WTF? You said AA doesn't add any visual quality. But it does add visual quality. It removes jaggies.

Having AA is your choice but I'm not going to argue about how you think jaggies is unimportant to YOU. That is your opinion. I also don't care for jaggies that much either because it kills bandwidth but I'm not going to ponder how AA doesn't add any visual quality.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

What you are really doing is Trolling. Im out. No time for arguing opinion or how yours is better.

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

LOL. Okay. You say AA makes no visual difference and crysis performance is inconsistent. :sarcastic: I disagree with that stupendous statement.

If you can't back up what you say don't say anything at all. Simple enough?

murphy82nd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Guys, please don't turn this into an opinion war, I am asking for help, not a debate on AA. I'd rather not have this thread locked.

As for the fact that Crysis is a poor game to benchmark, I agree. However, it's not just Crysis. Company of Heroes has the same problem. AA doesn't affect the problem in CoH, on or off I still get the stuttering and the subsequent revving up of performance. I swapped back in the old card and the prob went away. I have reinstalled all drivers and such, but I am not sure if it's working. I do know that some people on other forums have reported the same problem, and I figure a fresh install can't hurt. Basically I am confused because I am getting worse performance than what I had with my old card. The only other option, as I checked the PSU and it's not the prob, might be my mobo and if it doesn't like PCIE 2.0, but I don't see why that should be a problem.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
damnit, here I am responding anyway.

I will try to squeeze this concept into your fcking skull one more time. Then im moving on.

FSAA - YES, there is a visual difference. But when I (ME)(NOT YOU) compare that EXTREMELY slight (small, tiny, little) difference in visual quality to the drastic (large, big, noticable) decrease in FPS (frames per second), I (ME, NOT YOU) DO NOT think that it is worth it. You simply gain more visual appeal through smooth FPS than you do from AA and low FPS. Got it?

Inconsistent - Have you ever heard people discuss that the FPS varies wildly in different parts of the game? This is what I am talking about. Are you capable of understanding that?

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

It's not an opinion war. The guy gave his opinion about AA. I gave facts. He calls me a troll and says it's an opinion argument. :pt1cable:

How is Crysis inconsistent? I will explain to you in best of my knowledge why you think it's inconsistent.

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Now you say it makes a visual difference? :pt1cable: Way to change what you said originally. How convenient of you. :sarcastic:

Again how AA takes performance hit has nothing to do with what you said originally. Never said I didn't agree with that doesn't mean it doesn't make visual difference.

All games varies wildly depending on what is going on the screen. Do you understand that? :sleep: You thought games stay constant 60fps. LOL

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

I don't think you are having any problems at all. Crysis is just a video card killer. AA is out of the question because it kills much needed bandwidth. Unless you want to compromise your settings for disappearing jaggies.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

It's funny you mention that because I had the hardest time with the same level. I thought it should have been smoother with all the static buildings and the ship taking up much of the screen. I thought the worst performance would have been the woods where the enemy is on the other side of the river and you have to run through the woods.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
No, I have not changed what I said. When I try to further clarify my statement, you just keepin attacking it like a defense lawyer in a high profile DUI case. I cant win, and you wont listen. So game over.

You are welcome to be crowned the winner. Congrats.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Oops. It was a long post and I probably have ADD. Missed that.

I agree that its odd that your GTS 640MB did better.

The benchmarks I have seen between the G80 GTS and G92 GTS always place the G92 ver. well ahead, in any game.

If you dont have a problem with installin the OS again, id go with Vista, see what you think. Kill two birds with one stone. You get a clean OS install, and you get to try DX10.

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Oh really? I only saw you mention crysis.